Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 11:33 PM

5 posts, read 8,824 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am currently in the process of moving to Hawaii due to my husband recently receiving orders. I would prefer not to live on base as I would like to make to most of this experience and immerse myself in the culture and the atmosphere.

This will be the first time that I have been to Hawaii and the first time my husband leaves the mainland. I am Australian and my husband is American. I would like to find somewhere to live that is less on the tourist front but still full of life with cafes, bars, art galleries, markets etc.

I have found an apartment in the business district and was wondering if that is a safe and fun place to live? I unfortunately have to sign a lease and pay deposit for an apartment that I will not be able to see before hand due to the military giving us 2 weeks notice for our move.

We will only have one car as the military will only pay to ship one, so I will mostly probably be relying on buses or a bike for transportation. Is it possible to live in Hawaii without a car?

I am currently at law school and will be looking for paralegal positions or office jobs whilst I finish up my degree. What would be a good area to live in that is central in location, 20-30 mins from the naval station, a safe area and has good potential for employment?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 11:36 PM

P.s I forgot to add that out rental budget is around $1750.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:10 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,552,017 times
When I was living both on Maui and Oahu I had a condo at the Craigside on Nuuanu Avenue just above downtown Honolulu. Can't recommend it highly enough, close to everything, but almost feels like living far from downtown.. Give em a look.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 06-12-2011, 02:30 AM

119 posts, read 376,119 times
I thought the military should let you stay in a hotel until you find a place. I don't understand what do you mean you have to sign a lease before seeing the place? I would recommend to never do that. But for your other question, yes you can live in Honolulu without a car, our nanny does that for years she is also a student and works in Waikiki. Outside Honolulu? Not so much. It took me more than an hour from Target (close to navy housing) to Honolulu city by bus. That's only about 8mi. It's fine for once in a blue moon, but if you have to commute everyday by public transport and live outside the city, that will be a pain.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:26 AM

I agree with not signing a lease before seeing the property but the navy will only ship your items to an address, seeing as I do not know anyone in Hawaii, we are having to find a place ASAP. Unfortunately they do not let you put a tentative address, it would have made life a lot easier! They do pay for a hotel but it is usually until base housing is available.

Thank you for your help!

Old 06-12-2011, 04:45 AM

Is the business district a safe place to live?

Old 06-12-2011, 04:55 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,367,305 times
DO NOT rent anything sight unseen. There is temporary housing for military people, plus my son has moved umpteen times and they always paid to ship one car so I'm not completely sure you have all your facts. Wait until you get there. period.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:12 AM

119 posts, read 376,119 times
Business district is central of Honolulu, now I'm little bit suspicious. How much is the rent again? Do you know the building name? Where did you get the rental from, craigslist?

I know a lot of military people in Hawaii and never heard that they have to have a place to ship the household goods. Just give them the military hotel address, once the shipment is here they will call you to set the appointment and then you can change the address. It takes 45 days in average from the mainland to Hawaii for household goods to arrive.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:10 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,092,028 times
There are TONS and TONS of scammers out there trying to cheat you out of your money.

I was in the Navy many moons ago. The benefit of living off base was nice, but here, I would live on base first, and then figure out if I wanted to live off base later. Things can be very different here than on the mainland. The benefit of being close to the base and commissary, NEX, etc is a very good thing.

But that's my opinion.

As others have said, be very afraid of ANYONE trying to get you to give cash in advance. I know a couple rental agencies that are reputable. PM me if you want their info.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:29 AM

I have been looking through agencies not via craiglist. I have seen quite a few fraudulent places listed, it is sad to see so many people desperate to scam people out of their money.

Thank you for all your advice, it is greatly appreciated.

I think we have been given some false information in regards to the move, so we will be going to fleet and family to confirm all our options.
I think we will live on base for the first 6 months while we get to know the area before we establish where we will live permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: