Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2006, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 8,882 times

Advertisements

OKay I am 28 and widowed with a 4 year old daughter. My husband was killed in the war last winter and my family is not very reliable. I live in the sticks, with no military hospital, so we have to go two hours for a check up. We live in upstate New York and the winters are freezing. I can't do another winter here, and so I am considering moving near the Marine Base. Does anyone have any info on the housing, cost of living, schoold, crime, etc.? Any info would be appreciated. I am basically looking for a safe, warm place for us to live. Is Kaneohe Bay it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 01:25 PM

95 posts, read 434,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melina View Post
OKay I am 28 and widowed with a 4 year old daughter. My husband was killed in the war last winter and my family is not very reliable. I live in the sticks, with no military hospital, so we have to go two hours for a check up. We live in upstate New York and the winters are freezing. I can't do another winter here, and so I am considering moving near the Marine Base. Does anyone have any info on the housing, cost of living, schoold, crime, etc.? Any info would be appreciated. I am basically looking for a safe, warm place for us to live. Is Kaneohe Bay it?
Melina- I'm so sorry about your husband. My husband was a Marine for 8 years- been out about 1.5 years now. Our last station was Kaneohe and we really liked it- most of the time. Living on an island was hard at times- but it was really beautiful- an unlimited number of things to do for FREE (hiking, swimming, etc.). But it is expensive. Our rent was $1200 a month for a dump. There are apartments that are a little cheaper- but not a ton of them in Kaneohe. Gas is high. Groceries are high. Will you be able to shop on teh Base? That really helps. Will you have to work? The better jobs are going to be in town- over the mountain takes about 30-45 depending on the time of day. Schools there- not so good. I don't know anyone who sent their children to public schools- Hawaii has the highest per capita of priv schools in the nation (or they did).

If you have any more questions please let me know I'd be happy to help where I can.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:49 AM

35 posts, read 221,533 times
Melina, I too am so sorry to hear about your husband. I'm 27, and my husband is in the Army. We were stationed at Schofield Barracks for 4 years, well really 5. We are from Syracuse, NY. Where in upstate do you live? I understand about the winters! We went to Hawaii right from Syracuse, and fell in love with it. What a change! We said we'd never go back to winters again! But who knows, things change. We loved Hawaii, but as randtbrown said, it is expensive to live. We were glad to be able to shop at the commissary on base! And Walmart has normal prices too. As for housing, yes, expensive. When we got there, we lived in an extremely small 1 bdrm apartment in Mililani and paid $800. We could barely turn around in the place! After a year, we moved in to military housing. Kaneohe is so beautiful, I use to love going through the "tunnel" in the mountain, and popping out the other side, the Kaneohe Bay side. It was just beautiful. I don't know really of any other info, especially on the Kaneohe side. But good luck with it, and I'd love to know how things turn out!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:58 AM

103 posts, read 261,427 times
We're in love with Kaneohe....but retired. I wish we could find a house in the range of $280K - $300K. I doubt it will happen.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 6,880 times
Hi there. Not sure if you are checking this thread any more. BUT I'm in upstate NY too (right now) and we are stationed in Schofield. I go back in Feb when my husband redeploys. We have lived there for a year but not near the marine base. I have lots of info and we're looking for housing too. We should talk!! Please DM me. Take care!! Michaela

Last edited by 7th generation; 12-04-2008 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Please do not include your E mail address in posts. Use the DM feature to contact other members. Thanks.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 6,740 times
nikkiyc: My husband is stationed at Schofield Barracks. I currectly intersected in moving down there to be with my husband. I have a month old little girl. Any information on moving down there would be very helpful.

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-02-2009 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: Please do not post your e mail addy.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:13 PM

9 posts, read 115,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melina View Post
I just got back from house hunting there. It's an awesome place, but after visiting a few times, I like Kailua much better. Unfortunately the houses in Kailua are more expensive than Kaneohe.

Expect to pay 600-800k for housing there in a decent location. Even in some of the worse neighborhoods, houses go for about that much. Townhouses go for about 500k and you may be able to find a 1 bdrm condo for around 200-300k.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 8,612 times
Im going to re-enlisted so , i will like to know how much is apartment rent in hawaii 1 single bed and i bath .what city is shipper to leave?

Old 12-05-2010, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 8,612 times
Default question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiyc View Post
Melina, I too am so sorry to hear about your husband. I'm 27, and my husband is in the Army. We were stationed at Schofield Barracks for 4 years, well really 5. We are from Syracuse, NY. Where in upstate do you live? I understand about the winters! We went to Hawaii right from Syracuse, and fell in love with it. What a change! We said we'd never go back to winters again! But who knows, things change. We loved Hawaii, but as randtbrown said, it is expensive to live. We were glad to be able to shop at the commissary on base! And Walmart has normal prices too. As for housing, yes, expensive. When we got there, we lived in an extremely small 1 bdrm apartment in Mililani and paid $800. We could barely turn around in the place! After a year, we moved in to military housing. Kaneohe is so beautiful, I use to love going through the "tunnel" in the mountain, and popping out the other side, the Kaneohe Bay side. It was just beautiful. I don't know really of any other info, especially on the Kaneohe side. But good luck with it, and I'd love to know how things turn out!
how is mililani? u say $800 a month ? how far is to army bases?
i will pick hawaiimy next duty station ... this is my email thnx
[EMAIL="jparmy1008@hotmail.com"]jparmy1008@hotmail.com[/EMAIL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu