Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:04 AM

159 posts, read 367,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrivera129 View Post
Where do we start, what do we do first. Can't wait for your suggestions.
Aloha Lr, where are you coming from? City/State. As a financial COL evaluation on your current city/$ is the first step, then add the COLs of the islands your interested in for a move.

I exported my QuickbooksPro accounting data to Excel to create spreadsheets to log my finance research.

HAGD, Ruby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 11:17 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,795 times
Silverlining: We (my wife and I) are very interested to know the area of your new home. We've been searching for a fully furnished one-bedroom for ~$1200 (all utilities inc.) and not having a lot of luck. Is public transportation available, reliable, and close by? We would like to live w/o a car, if possible, but if must, we will ship our car over. Thank you.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:04 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha_silverlining
Told TD to mail me my gadgets that I had put aside in the large Priority Mail box, $14.95 for upto 70 lbs of goods. That box holds about $300 plus of my William Sonoma/Crate & Barrel goodies.
$14.95 for up to 70 lbs using Priority Mail with the post office? That's incredible. I'm not aware of that deal (after 30 years with the P.O., I would have thought I know everything about mailing rates! Guess not.)

If/when we finally get to the shipping stage, it will be a nightmare since my wife has a lot of Le Creuset cookware and they all weight a ton each.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
Silverlining: We (my wife and I) are very interested to know the area of your new home. We've been searching for a fully furnished one-bedroom for ~$1200 (all utilities inc.) and not having a lot of luck. Is public transportation available, reliable, and close by? We would like to live w/o a car, if possible, but if must, we will ship our car over. Thank you.
Aloha Charles,

We're in the "country", Makaha area. TheBus runs all day/night and they're stops close to the different condo complexes.

Since you're coming from Florida, shipping a car might be costly. It would need to be a newer/paid for car to be worthwhile. I don't think you should be without a car. You would be stuck buying your daily goods at local grocery stores at a much higher cost than necessary.

Wallmart and Costco are 15 miles away and yes you could bus it but don't think that's practical. Timbo bought a '99, clean Jag for $3500, we shipped our classic '72, convertible Mustang for $1075 from LA since it was paid for. Not wanting to take my $600/mo payment with me, sold my '08 convertible Solara to CarMax and made $3K (very low miles/loaded/cleaner than a bug). I found several '08, conv. Solara's here for around $2-3K but I'm going to see if we can live with just TheTang.

Use PadMappers to look for rentals, I kept to my goal of living only off DH's SS income (starts in Oct., if the Gov. keeps to their timeframe ). Therefore, it took me 6 months to find our new home. Research, look, and keep looking. And just keep to "your" family's budget, you don't want to come here and be more stressed financially than when on the Mainland.

Good luck and hope your silverlining will end up in the place you want to be!

Mahalo, Ruby

Old 06-19-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
$14.95 for up to 70 lbs using Priority Mail with the post office? That's incredible. I'm not aware of that deal (after 30 years with the P.O., I would have thought I know everything about mailing rates! Guess not.)

If/when we finally get to the shipping stage, it will be a nightmare since my wife has a lot of Le Creuset cookware and they all weight a ton each.
Charles, those "Priority Mail Flatrate Boxes" are the cat's meow. I had some of the one ton pots...DD raided those out of the pantry, when I foolishly said "take what you want". Which I had them now, fried some steaks the other day in a regular frying pan...not the same. Your wife would feel my pain. lol

I used the per cubic foot cost analysis when dealing with my crate choices. If I loved/needed it on a regular basis, was it worth the $10/cb ft it was costing me to ship. Plus if I sold it, would I get enough that I could/would realisticly replace it in Hawaii if they even sold it there.

Hope this help DW when she goes through her kitchen passion. ; )

TC, Ruby

Old 06-22-2011, 10:27 AM

Posted in a separate thread about the fast arrival of the crate. In one piece, no damage, early delivery by AFF.

We sent 15 boxes via USPS, one box arrived in 3 days, actually the day we arrived. Got another box yesterday, which was exactly 14 days. TG they are numbered and inventoried by photos, makes the decision of urgency to unpack a lot easier...we went to North Shore...not that urgent!

Aloha, Ruby

Old 06-22-2011, 11:05 AM

174 posts, read 349,222 times
Thanks Ruby!

Old 06-22-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbartist View Post
Thanks Ruby!

You're welcome SB! FWIW...I used:

1C = Box 1 into Crate
2M = Box 2 to be Mailed Parcel Post
3P = Box 3 to be Mailed in Priority Mail Flatrate Box

Plus took photographs of each item as I packed, also a shot of any serial numbers/brand markings that the item might have. Then I transfered to photos into individual folders (ie: 1C, 2M, etc.), saved me a lot of writing and a lot of guessing once things arrive.

Printed up labels (one for outside of box, plus one to be mounted inside the box) with From/To plus a spot at the top right with "Box No. _____". Just made life easier. Also remember to use clear shipping tape over your outer label. Even permanent labels can come off the coated shipping boxes.

Adjust recipe to taste! Ruby

Old 06-22-2011, 03:51 PM

174 posts, read 349,222 times
Yes, I will definitely be keeping an inventory of what we send and the method of shipment. Thanks for the ideas, and keep em' coming.

What did you find that you needed right away prior to the rest of your belongings arriving that you knew you could wait for?

Was there anything you wished you would have sent first instead of having to wait for it to arrive?

I read you had to rent a vehicle until your vehicle arrives. I am sure we will be in the same boat so to speak.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:12 AM

521 posts, read 1,151,184 times
Hmmm.. now that you are posting this thread, it strikes my mind, we might consider moving BACK to the islands! I miss it so... living on the mainland, ain't so easy... especially now.. we're in some hard time economically... gas is thru the roof, and you gotta travel so much on the mainland... you live on an island, you got less space you can EVEN travel to start with..
I think the stress level on the mainland is far worse than it used to be... living on an island, where you get to know your neighbors, people in local stores, etc, is much more rewarding than just being a cog in the wheel...
Yeah... we're thinking of selling a good deal of our stuff too. Wonder where the best place to do that is...? Where you'd get the best price...
I don't know... considering the taxes are going sky high in many parts of the mainland, is it even WORTH staying here? Also... the amount of toxins people think it's cool or SAFE to throw into the environment here on the mainland is unbelievable!
we got people in our area who put toxic pesticides on their front lawns once a week, just to keep them GREEN looking and pristine! The stuff is poison! I think the mainland sucks myself, and always liked Hawaii mo betta'.. there.. i've proved I'm a kamaaina...
glad your move went well.. Hawaii is a wonderland, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: