Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 01:47 AM

23 posts, read 93,665 times

Advertisements

I am officially a two-week resident of Hawaii I moved here 2 weeks ago, and I am starting to get the hang of things here. I love it here. People are friendly. Things are slower but not so slow that I fall asleep. It's a big change for me from Manhattan, but I find myself staying away from Waikiki area because it is just too "city" for me.

Anyway, I am trying to find some good places to get fresh produce that aren't going to cost a fortune. Where are the good deals? Any good farmers markets in Honolulu that people would recommend that I check out? I know people always say Costcos, but I don't think their produce is that fresh; plus I'm a single person and cannot consume 30 apples in a week. I've been to Foodland and Saveway, but I would prefer to support local (Hawaiian) farmers. I'm in Makiki but have a car so can go anywhere in town. I used to belong to a CSA (Community Support Agriculture) in NYC. Are there CSAs on O'ahu?

Thanks! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 02:28 AM

140 posts, read 407,352 times
pom, Official Web Site for The City and County of Honolulu

you can find the schedule for the city's markets on this page. there's one at the makiki district park, but all of the city's markets are morning hours.

here's a more comprehensive, but less organized link. these have evening market hours.

http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/add/farmers-m...awaii/Oahu.pdf

Old 06-16-2011, 07:04 PM

682 posts, read 2,793,761 times
Where do you live? There are farmer's markets of some sort every day. The ones I frequent:

Sat morning at Kapiolani CC: crowded, touristy, huge. Lots of good produce, though.

Sat morning in Hawaii Kai: smaller & less touristy than KCC, run by the same folks as the Haleiwa one.

Sun morning in Haleiwa: good excuse to get to the North Shore. Lots of local (North Shore) farms.

Wed afternoon at Blaisdell: smaller than KCC but run by the same folks. More prepared foods and less veggies than I'd like. I don't go so often any more.

Thurs afternoon in Makiki: nice neighborhood market. Smaller, but on my way home.

T/Th/Sun at Manoa Marketplace: just a couple of stands, mostly (but not totally) resellers. Some of the stuff is local, some not. If it's not marked, just ask.

I'd like a CSA, too... used to have one in Rhode Island. There's a few similar things here, but not quite a CSA. One of the egg sellers has a punch card... pre-pay for six dozen eggs at a big discount, then get the card stamped when you pick them up.

I think Just Add Water does a CSA, but they're small and at their booth don't always have the stuff I want, so I haven't participated in it: Just Add Water Community Supported Agriculture

Old 06-16-2011, 11:43 PM

23 posts, read 93,665 times
Perfect review of the markets. It's exactly what I'm looking for. thank you!

I am in Makiki. I'm just trying to see where local residents go for their fresh produce. I know there is a listing online but they usually don't tell you the quality of the products or the vibe of these places.

Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
Where do you live? There are farmer's markets of some sort every day. The ones I frequent:

Sat morning at Kapiolani CC: crowded, touristy, huge. Lots of good produce, though.

Sat morning in Hawaii Kai: smaller & less touristy than KCC, run by the same folks as the Haleiwa one.

Sun morning in Haleiwa: good excuse to get to the North Shore. Lots of local (North Shore) farms.

Wed afternoon at Blaisdell: smaller than KCC but run by the same folks. More prepared foods and less veggies than I'd like. I don't go so often any more.

Thurs afternoon in Makiki: nice neighborhood market. Smaller, but on my way home.

T/Th/Sun at Manoa Marketplace: just a couple of stands, mostly (but not totally) resellers. Some of the stuff is local, some not. If it's not marked, just ask.

I'd like a CSA, too... used to have one in Rhode Island. There's a few similar things here, but not quite a CSA. One of the egg sellers has a punch card... pre-pay for six dozen eggs at a big discount, then get the card stamped when you pick them up.

I think Just Add Water does a CSA, but they're small and at their booth don't always have the stuff I want, so I haven't participated in it: Just Add Water Community Supported Agriculture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: