Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:10 AM

26 posts, read 82,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
What does BINKs mean?
I think her smiling face just didn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauleahere&there View Post
Tammy, maybe I missed it, but I didn't see that you've ever visited the Hawaiian islands. If you have, ignore the rest of this paragraph. Before making the huge expense to move here, try a visit first. Walk the neighborhoods and apartments in your price range, ride public transportation on Oahu, buy groceries, talk to the locals and people who did what you're trying to do on your budget. In other words, try it out for a few weeks and see if the vibe is really what you imagine. If you can afford to take your son out with you to visit, let him also talk to kids his age, check out schools, hangouts.

Finally, sit down with a calculator and look at your monthly expenses in Iowa. Everything--including groceries, incidentals, medications, trips to McDonalds, you name it. When you have a total, add 30 percent to it. That'll be your bare-bones budget in Hawaii, without emergency reserve. I know it sounds like I'm all about the money, but you know how it is. When you don't have enough of it, it really sucks.

I know you're trying to make a good decision. Blessings to you, no matter what you decide.
Hi, Yes I have been there. I have also been talking to people who live there the last few months. Many of whom have about the same income I do. I worked in finance as a loan officer all my life before becoming disabaled so running numbers was the first thing I did. I'm just a very thrifty person.I don't need a large fancy place, because all we do is sleep there. We like to spend our time outdoors. I'm on a very strict diet so there's very few things I can eat, most of which is fruit, the other is protein drinks my family will be shipping me. (This is how I always eat, not a temp. diet only weigh 116 dont need to diet just my way of life for medical reasons)That will cut down the grocery bill. My only concern right now is the school thing for my son. I have actually start also looking in florida and some other places, but to be honest anywhere I would want to live in florida that would put us in a nice area by the water costs almost as much.

Last edited by 1tchristy; 07-12-2011 at 04:15 AM..

Old 07-12-2011, 11:26 AM

820 posts, read 3,035,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
What does BINKs mean?
"Bilateral Income No Kids" says one site, although it made me think of Jar Jar Binks...

Old 07-12-2011, 11:29 AM

159 posts, read 367,396 times
Having been to Miami and South Beach, I think TheBus system on Oahu runs better than the transportation system in Florida. If I remember right, Tammy's not counting on having a car right away. Probably can ask her friend or neighbor to join in on those Costco runs for staples to save $. ; )

Old 07-12-2011, 01:47 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
I've always heard it as "DINKS" which is Double Income No Kids. There are a whole slew of those sorts of acronyms. This website: Abbreviations and acronyms dictionary: Find definitions for over 4,219,000 abbreviations, acronyms, and initialisms found "DINK" but didn't have anything for BINK so perhaps those of us here at CD have a better acronym database than they do.

As far as moving goes, it sounds like perhaps Oahu might be a better choice since the medical facilities are better. Also since there will be some sort of income coming in without having to find employment, perhaps some area outside of the general Honolulu area might work since the rents would be less expensive there. If it were my child, I'd be closely watching their school curriculum and augmenting it with some homeschooling in the areas where it is lacking. There are more ways to educate a child than merely sending them to public school and it would seem a huge disservice to the child to just rely on public education.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If it were my child, I'd be closely watching their school curriculum and augmenting it with some homeschooling in the areas where it is lacking. There are more ways to educate a child than merely sending them to public school and it would seem a huge disservice to the child to just rely on public education.
I fully agree Hotz. Our daughters have been in both public and private, regardless of which one, we always were involved in their schooling. Each child is different and their own strengths and weaknesses. If you can't help them yourself, or hire a tutor, there are many free on-line curriculum help sites.

Public schooling across the nation needs an overhaul. Teachers need a living wage. Plus think about it...even if your child is an angel...would you want to be stuck with 32 or more just like them for 8 hours a day - 9 months of the year. Yikes!

I know I wouldn't and I did a lot of class room volunteer hours in each grade year of the girls. LOL (In case you girls are reading this, I truly ment it lovingly. ; ) Mom)

Old 07-12-2011, 02:09 PM

[quote=hotzcatz;19986287]I've always heard it as "DINKS" which is Double Income No Kids. There are a whole slew of those sorts of acronyms. This website: Abbreviations and acronyms dictionary: Find definitions for over 4,219,000 abbreviations, acronyms, and initialisms found "DINK" but didn't have anything for BINK so perhaps those of us here at CD have a better acronym database than they do.

Guess I must clearly note when something is said as a joke or jest

My reply response was clearly noted before your post ...

"LOL use to be TINKs = Triple Income No Kids, then 2007 hit, DINKs = Double Income No Kids, then 2008 OINKs = One Income No Kids, forced retirement for one in 2011 = BINKs = Budget Income No Kids... in Makaha"

Maybe some folks just need to lighten up. ; )

Old 07-12-2011, 08:30 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,415 times
[quote=aloha_silverlining;19986708]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I've always heard it as "DINKS" which is Double Income No Kids. There are a whole slew of those sorts of acronyms. This website: Abbreviations and acronyms dictionary: Find definitions for over 4,219,000 abbreviations, acronyms, and initialisms found "DINK" but didn't have anything for BINK so perhaps those of us here at CD have a better acronym database than they do.

Guess I must clearly note when something is said as a joke or jest

My reply response was clearly noted before your post ...

"LOL use to be TINKs = Triple Income No Kids, then 2007 hit, DINKs = Double Income No Kids, then 2008 OINKs = One Income No Kids, forced retirement for one in 2011 = BINKs = Budget Income No Kids... in Makaha"

Maybe some folks just need to lighten up. ; )
I don't think hotzcatz was posting anything to do with your posts... I was posting in answer to the question, as I believe hotzcatz was. Are you suggesting that once you posted your joke none of the rest of us should respond?

Old 07-18-2011, 05:30 PM

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply and give your advice!
Tammy

Old 08-06-2012, 12:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,623 times
Hi we are moving back to Hawaii in September I was born and raised there as was my daughter. My husband has never been but already has 4 job offers out of 6 resumes sent. We are leaving california to raise our grand-daughter she is only five and we have found and discussed renting with owners and property managament who have aproved us and they are 1 bedrooms at the makaha surf rider the one we will be renting is only 800$ a month. So as a girl who grew up in Hawaii if you can live on a budget and spend wisley you will be fine. My best friend blonde blue eyed lived in an all "Local" are and was fine. As did I even though I am a hapa haole. It is all bout attitude and pretty much you will get what you give negitive and positive. I wish you nothing but the best.
Makayla

Last edited by 7th generation; 08-06-2012 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: please do not post any personal info here like your last name-safety first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu