Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:40 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzalb View Post
Are you gonna pay for it? Didn't think so.
Hmmm ... I'm beginning to sense someone under a bridge ... 25 years old ... no work experience? ... no college or other training / skills ... doesn't / can't drive ... needs this and needs that just so ... bubba, you be puttin' us on ... good one I'm done ...

Old 10-09-2011, 10:47 PM

45 posts, read 163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Hmmm ... I'm beginning to sense someone under a bridge ... 25 years old ... no work experience? ... no college or other training / skills ... doesn't / can't drive ... needs this and needs that just so ... bubba, you be puttin' us on ... good one I'm done ...
I'm most certainly not "puttin you on". Is it really so hard to believe my circumstances?

Old 10-09-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I'm most certainly not "puttin you on". Is it really so hard to believe my circumstances?
Yes.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:09 PM

52 posts, read 159,402 times
Sounds more like somebody is getting kicked out of the house. Am I right?

Old 10-09-2011, 11:14 PM

270 posts, read 506,171 times
Quote:
Thanks for the the link!
Most likely, I will have money saved up before moving, probably more than $2,000 (hopefully at least $3,000) but it's all still up in
the air.

Florida's unemployment rate is much higher than Hawai'i's. That makes me want to avoid Florida.

Sorry, no can do. I can't endure another of Wisconsin's frigid winters...

Due to financial issues, going to any kind of tertiary school or vocational training is impossible. The reason I'm moving is to find a job to pay off a past-due tuition balance. While cost of living is certainly lower in places like Los Angeles or Atlanta, the unemployment rates there are much higher than Honolulu. I'm most interested in Honolulu because of the low unemployment rate.

Now this is a bit scary to read. I was under the impression that jobs in the tourist industry were plentiful.

As nullgeo said, you should reconsider, not being mean either. Your focus reminds me of that old expression " I have my mind made up, do NOT confuse me with the facts"! The only alternative I see is for you to see a USAF Recruiter and HOPE you can enlist and MAYBE get an assignment to Hickam AB one day. Best of luck!!

Old 10-10-2011, 12:27 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Due to financial issues, going to any kind of tertiary school or vocational training is impossible. The reason I'm moving is to find a job to pay off a past-due tuition balance. While cost of living is certainly lower in places like Los Angeles or Atlanta, the unemployment rates there are much higher than Honolulu. I'm most interested in Honolulu because of the low unemployment rate.
You'll never make it in Hawaii with no work experience, and trying to pay off past tuition debts on top of that.

If it MUST be a warm city....the only one that strikes me as perhaps possible is NEW ORLEANS. You have your tourists and the cost of living and cost of housing is much lower. It is also more walkable than other places. At least around the French Quarter.

Hawaii rent alone is looking like 2-3 times more easily than Wisconsin. I think you'd be disheartened to try to plunk town $1500/month on an apartment, working at $9/hour, and trying to get a hand on your past tuition on top of that. Especially since I'd imagine in WI you'd have the same wages and your rent would probably be closer to $500/month.

If you finished college, you could teach English in Korea. That's where I paid off all my old student loans. Don't need a car there either, and they give you an apartment as part of the deal for signing a 1-year contract. You must have a Bachelors Degree though minimum.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:52 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
You'll never make it in Hawaii with no work experience, and trying to pay off past tuition debts on top of that.

If it MUST be a warm city....the only one that strikes me as perhaps possible is NEW ORLEANS. You have your tourists and the cost of living and cost of housing is much lower. It is also more walkable than other places. At least around the French Quarter.

Hawaii rent alone is looking like 2-3 times more easily than Wisconsin. I think you'd be disheartened to try to plunk town $1500/month on an apartment, working at $9/hour, and trying to get a hand on your past tuition on top of that. Especially since I'd imagine in WI you'd have the same wages and your rent would probably be closer to $500/month.

If you finished college, you could teach English in Korea. That's where I paid off all my old student loans. Don't need a car there either, and they give you an apartment as part of the deal for signing a 1-year contract. You must have a Bachelors Degree though minimum.
He'll really be disheartened when he learns the math of $9/hour (if he manages to get a job) - pays $1,440/month ($9 * 160 hours/month before taxes) - so that $1,500 apartment will be out of reach.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit808 View Post
Sounds more like somebody is getting kicked out of the house. Am I right?
Pretty much! I'm actually kicking myself out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers View Post
The only alternative I see is for you to see a USAF Recruiter and HOPE you can enlist and MAYBE get an assignment to Hickam AB one day. Best of luck!!
I can't join the military because I have paruresis.

Quote:
Damn!

Quote:
I love New Orleans & Louisiana, but I'm a bit apprehensive regarding the crime in NOLA.

Quote:
I think you'd be disheartened to try to plunk town $1500/month on an apartment
Well, I've seen apartments on craigslist for under $800/month.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm well aware of the English teaching opportunities worldwide. But, as you pointed out, a degree is required, which I don't have.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Pretty much! I'm actually kicking myself out.
I can't join the military because I have paruresis.
Hahahahahaha ... lmaorof
This is rich! You had us going for a little bit there

Old 10-10-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Hahahahahaha ... lmaorof
This is rich! You had us going for a little bit there
I don't get it...

Whatever, anyways, do y'all think the following estimates for typical monthly expenses for 1 adult are accurate?
food = $237
medical = $94
housing = $1,348
transportation = $277 (I guess this is assuming the person uses an automobile)
other = $200
Those estimates are from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: