Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2021, 03:22 PM

51 posts, read 42,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I happen to really really like Molokai … but 1970s Kailua it ain’t.
I'm actually starting to take a harder look at Kaunakakai... Might be an option! V/R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2021, 03:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
How about Hanalei, Kaui? Definitely rainier though.
Interesting - at least to me - people throwing out Molokai or Hanalei (population 300) as throwbacks to Kailua - which are nothing like Kailua in the 70's.

Kailua in the 1970's in many respects has not changed all that much. Practically every neighborhood you see today was already developed or in process of being developed in 1970. The population of Kailua is practically unchanged today than it was in 1970 (over 30,000 in 1970 and less than 40,000 today) - all the shopping areas were in place in the 70's - such as Enchanted Lake - Kailua Shopping Center. Whole Foods is certainly an improvement to the low rise blight it replaced - the biggest thing they could blow up in my opinion is Target which still looks out of place.

The Kailua transformation really occurred in the early 1960's - once the Pali Highway opened. Practically all the neighborhoods were developed then - the population exploded - and went to an area with quite a bit of farming to none at all.

Remove the bulk of the tourists - dump out Target - reopen Pali Lanes and you aren't far off.

Old 12-25-2021, 07:17 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Interesting - at least to me - people throwing out Molokai or Hanalei (population 300) as throwbacks to Kailua - which are nothing like Kailua in the 70's.

Kailua in the 1970's in many respects has not changed all that much. Practically every neighborhood you see today was already developed or in process of being developed in 1970. The population of Kailua is practically unchanged today than it was in 1970 (over 30,000 in 1970 and less than 40,000 today) - all the shopping areas were in place in the 70's - such as Enchanted Lake - Kailua Shopping Center. Whole Foods is certainly an improvement to the low rise blight it replaced - the biggest thing they could blow up in my opinion is Target which still looks out of place.

The Kailua transformation really occurred in the early 1960's - once the Pali Highway opened. Practically all the neighborhoods were developed then - the population exploded - and went to an area with quite a bit of farming to none at all.

Remove the bulk of the tourists - dump out Target - reopen Pali Lanes and you aren't far off.
Pretty much agree with this. Molokai is, was, always will be an entirely unique place with exactly none of 70s Kailua in its character. Hanalei, same.

Old 12-27-2021, 09:31 AM

51 posts, read 42,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Pretty much agree with this. Molokai is, was, always will be an entirely unique place with exactly none of 70s Kailua in its character. Hanalei, same.

That's the charm of it IMO, it's still the same... That can't be said for 90% of the rest of the state. I remember my dad had one of those "I'd rather be riding a mule on Molokai" bumper stickers on his beer cooler . I wonder if they still make those? I think I remember hearing that the mule trail is closed due to disrepair, hope they reopen it if so.

V/R

Old 12-27-2021, 02:31 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawamura View Post
That's the charm of it IMO, it's still the same... That can't be said for 90% of the rest of the state. I remember my dad had one of those "I'd rather be riding a mule on Molokai" bumper stickers on his beer cooler . I wonder if they still make those? I think I remember hearing that the mule trail is closed due to disrepair, hope they reopen it if so.

V/R
I understand and can relate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu