Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,263 times

Advertisements

I may be moving from anchorage, Alaska to Oahu in 2 weeks. Working at hickam air base (non-Mlitary). I am planning on shipping my newer full size pick-up truck and a pallet of household goods. Truck probably not best to drive around or live in honolulu area? Any tips on decent housing in or around honolulu. Expenses compared to alaska? I've been doing research just wanted some local input, Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 01:03 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,225 times
Lots of trucks here, no problem there. Most of your other questions can be found in the forum archive.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:03 AM

4,410 posts, read 4,891,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohedano1 View Post
I may be moving from anchorage, Alaska to Oahu in 2 weeks. Working at hickam air base (non-Mlitary). I am planning on shipping my newer full size pick-up truck and a pallet of household goods. Truck probably not best to drive around or live in honolulu area? Any tips on decent housing in or around honolulu. Expenses compared to alaska? I've been doing research just wanted some local input, Thanks...
I live in Alaska and Hawaii, I can probably answer any questions you have. Definitely take your truck. We're both "barge" states so it's fairly uncomplicated to get your stuff over there, call Northland Services. Honolulu is going to be more expensive than Anchorage, especially housing. Food, durable goods, etc, some things are more expensive and some are cheaper. Pretty much a wash. Gas will be more expensive in Honolulu but there's nowhere to drive, so that is probably also a wash. Plus you won't be running your vehicle just to thaw it out every morning. Running an A/C is comparable to what you are paying for heating oil, so if you can live without it your utilities will be less in HI. Running an A/C is pretty much only for comfort, compared to literally freezing to death if your furnace runs dry. You can do without one but not the other. Not having to shovel snow= priceless, plus you won't be spending any money on ice melt salt. Of course there are expenses in HI we don't have in AK, like insect control etc.

Last edited by terracore; 01-08-2012 at 11:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: