U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:38 PM

281 posts, read 36,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
Hey all,
Talk story time

So my deal, I've been a Professional Chef for 15 years, as in the actual Executive Chef position, not just a glorified line cook. I also have experience in all areas of the restaurant industry from being a General Manager to server and bartender.

I have a somewhat significant sum of money, ~$100k+ and am looking at buying a food truck in LA for $30k - $40k and shipping it over, as there doesn't seem to be much of a selection of food trucks for sale in Oahu. I would also ship my 2009 Chevy Silverado over as well as I would need my truck for my business as well.

I am aware of shipping costs, excise tax, licensing procedures for my vehicles, safety inspections, getting my HI drivers license, TB testing, peddlers permits, business licensing, business insurance, cost of living, cost of food, the housing situation, and the traffic.

I am paying $1000 a month for a studio apartment now in Minneapolis, so rent isn't too out of line with what I already pay, and the traffic in and around Honolulu has never bothered my too much as it is about the same here in Minneapolis.

I was considering living in or near Waialua as rents seem to be reasonable and there is a shared use / incubator kitchen there with reasonable rental rates and seems to be a nice central location on Oahu.

It seems to me that there is a good food truck scene already in Oahu and that it is well supported buy the community with events such as Eat The Streets.

I guess I'm just wondering what I am overlooking and general comments.

Mahalo
As a businessman myself, I say do it. You will never look back, or regret it. Find your niche and do it better than the competition. You will prevail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 08:06 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,384,368 times
You might want to follow the current issue of "parking" that is going on right now [Honolulu County Council Bill 59]. Here is one website that discusses it, but google for more/differing opinions:
Food Trucks in Hawaii

You should check on the state laws that bans billboards. It is possible that putting an advertisement or "rolling billboard" on the side of your truck could put you in conflict with the law. Better to check it out beforehand.

Good luck! More yummy food is always welcome!

Old 01-29-2012, 10:38 PM

5,680 posts, read 9,098,642 times
Yup, the rolling billboard will be a probably be a problem. I think you can have the name of your truck on it, but unless it's named SPAM Grindz, I doubt you can put Hormel's logo all over. Even then, the anti-billboard folks may still rain on your parade. Still, the whole anti-billboard thing is brilliant. It's really nice to not have to look at them all the time.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:43 AM

13 posts, read 43,291 times
I never noticed the lack of billboards in O'ahu, but yeah, there isn't any! That's great even if it could be a potential loss of a revenue source! Keep Hawaii Beautiful!

So no Oscar Meyer Weiner Mobiles or Red Bull trucks?

Old 01-30-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Waialua is hardly a "central location". Are you planning to rent a space on the North Shore?
It would be a central location to the shared use kitchen and overnight parking stall for my food truck that I have been able to locate. That being said, if I was able to find similar facilities closer to Honolulu that would suit my needs and be financial viable I would definitely consider that as well.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
You might want to follow the current issue of "parking" that is going on right now [Honolulu County Council Bill 59]. Here is one website that discusses it, but google for more/differing opinions:
Food Trucks in Hawaii

You should check on the state laws that bans billboards. It is possible that putting an advertisement or "rolling billboard" on the side of your truck could put you in conflict with the law. Better to check it out beforehand.

Good luck! More yummy food is always welcome!

Thanks! That was a good read and a good bill proposed. 15 minutes is really not long enough if you have a full service food truck which requires set up and tear down time. It takes at least 10 minutes just to heat up the deep fryer and grill!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:19 PM

It's Happening!! Flying out to LA on Sunday to shop for a Food Truck! Said truck should be on a boat Feb. 17th!

Old 01-30-2012, 10:59 PM

1,244 posts, read 1,448,758 times
There is a new rec center in Kapolei that has a catering kitchen. I understand its certified for professional food prep. Its the Kroc center.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:58 AM

21 posts, read 28,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Its the Kroc center.
Should be a shoe-in for a McDonalds. Seeing as how Rays name is on the place.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,179 times
Make sure you look at your options. You can rent a food truck and that'll be another expense, but you can also lease or finance one. That way you can potentially own it, or if you want to start out leasing it for a new business, which seems like what you might be interested in, you can get the food truck and use it as a write off so you'll pay so much less! Check out financing and leasing companies. I know of American Capital Group. I'm almost certain they do food trucks. Check it out, look at all your options. And lastly, best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu