Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 06:32 PM

124 posts, read 331,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitright1 View Post
Interesting about Cebu. What about the horrible rainy season and typhoons/tropical storms? I've heard about cities in Philippines with perfect weather like Hawai'i but where...? I would so move to the Philippines if such a place exists there...
Rainy season in the Philippines is from June to December. But this "rainy season" is nowhere like Seattle (where hubby and I lived before moving to San Diego) where it's nonstop gray, gloom, cold and rain. Rain in the Philippines is like rain in Hawaii. Comes and goes. One minute it's gray and raining and the next, it's bright and sunny. What's also nice is that it's never cold.

Depends on where in the Philippines... but Cebu doesn't get the really bad typhoons. I think it has to do with its location in the archipelago. It's right smack in the middle. Typhoon number 1 is what we usually get there... and it's pretty much nothing but hard rain and wind. I think there might have been only 1 or 2 times that there was a really bad typhoon (Number 3) in the past 30 years... but then again, damage and casualties are more due to the shanty towns. So if you live in a decent or nice neighborhood that isn't in a flood zone, you're perfectly fine.

As for gauging typhoons... number 1 is when elementary schools are closed down... high school and college still goes on. Number 2 is elementary and high school, college has classes. Number 3 is when all schools are closed. I don't know the logic about that... but that's what I remembered from being a student there.

Depends on what you're looking for... but I think Cebu is the most comparable to Oahu of all the islands wherein you get the city, mountain and beach all within an hour from each other. There is an island off the coast of northern Cebu that we like to call our secret place. While everyone in the country flock to Boracay, it has gotten way too crowded. Us Cebuanos don't need to go there, Bantayan Island is where we go. It's basically the same as Boracay but much secluded and private still.

If you're into diving, Moalboal is the place to go. If you like waterfalls, Badian. Diving with whale sharks in Oslob. Feed fish right from your hands, Olango/Nalusuan/Hilutungan Islands. I could go on and on... but for one small island a little bit bigger than Oahu, it has a lot to offer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 PM

137 posts, read 350,828 times
I'm going to look into this about Cebu. I've been there to Mactan Island and Lapu Lapu before but only for a short while. I'll have to see how affordable it is to reside there. (price per sq. foot to to build house, price per hectare for land, etc.) Thank you.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:03 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,795,444 times
Quote:
I'm going to look into this about Cebu. I've been there to Mactan Island and Lapu Lapu before but only for a short while. I'll have to see how affordable it is to reside there. (price per sq. foot to to build house, price per hectare for land, etc.) Thank you.
...and do they have, SNAKES?!!!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:42 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,972,532 times
Quote:
Interesting about Cebu. What about the horrible rainy season and typhoons/tropical storms? I've heard about cities in Philippines with perfect weather like Hawai'i but where...? I would so move to the Philippines if such a place exists there...
I've been to Cebu about 7 times. It's really nothing like Hawaii whatsoever. I think anyone expecting it to be, will be greatly disappointed.

It's basically a cheap and safe Philippines cities that has all the amenities of Manila, but few of the negaties.

Regarding typhoons and such...there are pockets that get them really badly. I don't think Cebu is in that pocket. However, you'll definitely get a rainy season.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
...and do they have, SNAKES?!!!
They sure do. Cobras are all over and they have the huge constricting snakes as well. So, in that sense, they are not like Hawai'i since Hawai'i has no dangerous wild animals except for the wild pua'a.

I've been to Cebu too and that's why I was a bit confused about comparison to Hawai'i. I only stayed in Cebu for a short time but from what I remember it was quite dirty. I didn't like it that much compared to other parts of the country. But like I said, I was in Mactan, Lapu Lapu, and Cebu city so perhaps I was in the Kalihi/Waianae areas of Cebu.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:58 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,795,444 times
Quote:
But like I said, I was in Mactan, Lapu Lapu, and Cebu city so perhaps I was in the Kalihi/Waianae areas of Cebu.
With SNAKES!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 06:45 AM

68 posts, read 99,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've been to Cebu about 7 times. It's really nothing like Hawaii whatsoever. I think anyone expecting it to be, will be greatly disappointed.

It's basically a cheap and safe Philippines cities that has all the amenities of Manila, but few of the negaties.

Regarding typhoons and such...there are pockets that get them really badly. I don't think Cebu is in that pocket. However, you'll definitely get a rainy season.
The OP specifically invited comparisons to the city of Honolulu:
"...which one reminded you the most of Honolulu in terms of appearance, climate and feel?"
so I took that to mean an island city(business parks, IT parks, multi-national companies, traffic congestion, etc) with industrial, commercial, trade and educational systems on the same scale as a major city like Honolulu, plus the added requirements of a tropical climate and easy access to mountains, beaches and warm waters that are good enough for snorkeling, diving, and similar activities like you can get around Honolulu.

There's also the feel of East-meets-West culture in common with Honolulu (from the Spanish and American colonial days) -ex. English is widely understood even if not on the same level as Honolulu, Hollywood movies are easily available in cinemas, western food (including burgers, hotdogs, and pizza) are common alongside local fares, etc. The historical plantation-era buildings even look similar as well as some of the commemorative statues next to coconut trees(try to google both King Kamehameha's and Lapu Lapu's statues and you'll see similarities in their tropical attires and weaponries ).

Admittedly, being 3rd world like Vahnessuh said, there's a lot of poverty and squalor to go with modern malls, financial districts and 5 star hotels (even though beautiful unspoiled regions like Bantayan and Malapascua are still very accessible). I guess on the plus side, that helps keep prices very cheap specially compared to Honolulu.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:29 AM

58 posts, read 133,416 times

In term of appearance and temperature, I still insist that Sanya is the most similar one I can think of.
Attached Thumbnails
Of all the cities in the world, which one is most similar to Honolulu-sanya-bay.jpg  

Old 02-28-2012, 02:31 PM

Sanya has a very long miserable rainy season, Hawai'i doesn't... Sanya is also quite expensive from what I've heard so not sure if I'd consider that a viable option...

But wow, sure does look like Waikiki in that pic though. Except for no zoo and Kapi'olani park.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:56 PM

55 posts, read 179,456 times
San Diego offers very similar features both in size and geography. Are you looking for one on the mainland to move to that is similar to Honolulu?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: