Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,470 times

Advertisements

I’m sure if this happens I’ll have a bunch more questions.

I lived on Oahu on my own (age 17-20) back in the late 80’s, was an amazing time for me, not easy to start with but it did cause my lifelong love of Hawaii.

I been back for vacation as often as I can over the years, been back 1-3 times a year in the last 7-8 years.
Now the questions start.

I’d like to spend 300K for a house, rather have a house then condo, but not 100% set in stone.
I lived and had no real issues in Waimanalo, Wahiawa, Eva Beach, Waianae, Waikiki and Hawaii Kia. I know that’s a mix.

I'm haole(I tan well), boy back then but had a good mix of friends, sure I got some crap, but nothing much. I’ve lost most of my pigeon I had, but that will come back.
Am I nuts to think of buying in Wahiawa, Kapolei, Nanakuli, etc. I’d rather have a drive to work (Hickam) then pay 4-5-600K for a place. I'd be on 2nd shift so traffic is a bit less of an issue.
Oh I'll be making 130-150k a year. And moving from high place in CT so I know the cost of living.

Last edited by miatajim; 02-23-2012 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: added stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 09:14 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,865,015 times
"Nalos is nicer, IMHO, and the traffic may not be as crazy coming in from that direction since you've got the choice between the Hawaii Kai crazyness and going over the Pali. Actually, with H3 and Waimanalo, it might be a better commute these days than before.

Eva Beach is all covered over with houses that all look alike so you can't find your own without looking for details. Also, coming into town from that direction is almost impossible half the day.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 PM

263 posts, read 1,001,476 times
There are pet stores on Oahu that sell pigeons.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:36 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,535,339 times
I think the OP was referring to local pigeons. You can get those at Ace in Waimanalo or Waianae, but not in Kahala.

Alooha

Old 02-23-2012, 10:51 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,865,015 times
In Kahala they are canaries.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:02 PM

270 posts, read 503,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatajim View Post

I lived on Oahu on my own (age 17-20) back in the late 80’s, was an amazing time for me, not easy to start with but it did cause my lifelong love of Hawaii.

I been back for vacation as often as I can over the years, been back 1-3 times a year in the last 7-8 years.
Now the questions start.

I’d like to spend 300K for a house, rather have a house then condo, but not 100% set in stone.
I lived and had no real issues in Waimanalo, Wahiawa, Eva Beach, Waianae, Waikiki and Hawaii Kia. I know that’s a mix.

I'm haole(I tan well), boy back then but had a good mix of friends, sure I got some crap, but nothing much. I’ve lost most of my pigeon I had, but that will come back.
Am I nuts to think of buying in Wahiawa, Kapolei, Nanakuli, etc. I’d rather have a drive to work (Hickam) then pay 4-5-600K for a place. I'd be on 2nd shift so traffic is a bit less of an issue.
Oh I'll be making 130-150k a year. And moving from high place in CT so I know the cost of living.

This site may help with locating usable words and/or later pigeon.... arkww!
Pronounce Hawaiian Words
Sometimes, word "droppings" may be an issue...

Old 02-24-2012, 01:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,732,662 times
Quote:

Now the questions start.

You can find $300K homes but they are very, very small. I'd try to set your budget higher. You can explore FHA loans with 5% down if down payment is an issue.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:08 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,804,996 times
If you're willing to get a Condo, finding a place in the $200K range or less is doable in Wahiawa and also in Makaha!

Old 02-27-2012, 09:49 PM

6 posts, read 11,920 times
Quote:

Now the questions start.

All the areas you mentioned has its cons relating to traffic, especially in Kapolei/Ewa. What would normally take 10 minutes to drive will take over an hour during rush hour (5:30a-8a and 3:30p-7p). However, working the 2nd shift will make commuting a lot less stressful for you. So it really depends on your home preferences. Wahiawa and Nanakuli is doable for 300K but homes are much older and may not be in the best neighborhoods. And Kapolei has many new townhome developments for under 300K, single-family homes 400K+.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 02-28-2012, 01:18 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,527,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
In Kahala they are canaries.
on the beach Waikiki some Portuguese guy called them See Gulls......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu