Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:25 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandDreamin View Post
Well, I just think there an overwhelming amount of negativity here.
I don't. Yes, there is some negativity here. Some. Not an overwhelming amount. And perhaps it's actually an appropriate amount, given how many folks come to this forum in a fantasy la-la-land state of mind.

For any of us who have spent any time at all living in Hawai'i, we've already seen people with unrealistic expectations and/or insufficient resources come and go.

Pointing out the common pitfalls, the popular ways to fail at living here is not negativity. It's just telling it like it is. There a lot of things about living in Hawai'i that can be very tough. Paradise, in truth, is more a state of mind than anything else, but most people can't get to that state of mind when they are struggling to survive.

It's actually a very zen state to be completely at one with reality, just the way it is, and just the way it isn't.

It's dreamin (sorry) that is unrealistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 03:45 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Ha ha - the answer to all your problems Wink - pay them more. I'll leave it at, more than 98% of our 200 employees make much more than your publicly stated $36K per year.
Honolulu is also much more expensive. Why would you leave it at that? And why do the 2% who make less than me somehow not matter? How much does the lowest paid worker get?

If they get paid well enough, why are they broke by the time they leave?

Old 04-19-2012, 04:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Honolulu is also much more expensive. Why would you leave it at that? And why do the 2% who make less than me somehow not matter? How much does the lowest paid worker get?

If they get paid well enough, why are they broke by the time they leave?
Lets see Wink - could it be they spent several months on a job search with no income - didn't have enough in savings - blew a lot of cash on the move - were accustomed to a mainland lifestyle and couldn't transition to meet the budget on a remote island - didn't properly budget rent and utilities - a spouse couldn't get a job or only minimum wage and they were counting on a robust two income family - never budgeted family emergencies/weddings on the mainland -

Could it be one of those things?

Old 04-19-2012, 05:08 PM

431 posts, read 940,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I don't. Yes, there is some negativity here. Some. Not an overwhelming amount. And perhaps it's actually an appropriate amount, given how many folks come to this forum in a fantasy la-la-land state of mind.

For any of us who have spent any time at all living in Hawai'i, we've already seen people with unrealistic expectations and/or insufficient resources come and go.
This whole State is one big revolving door.
I have gotten to a point where I have actually grown fond of watching the evolution of transplants as time goes by. A sort of detached, un-scientific observation process. I don't wish them ill and there isn't anything I can do about the decline anyway so I just watch.
The unbridled joy and passion when they first arrive. They love EVERYTHING!!! They're bubbling, gleeful, taking diving lessons, learning to windsurf, enjoying the jealous messages that those left behind have posted on their Facebook pages. "We're in HA-WHY-EEEEEEEEEE!!!"
Then the slooooow degradation of the joy-state. That apartment that they took because it was all they could afford and the pickings were so slim is looking way crappier than when they first got here. The roaches that head for every crumb are less tolerable than six months before. Ramen was okay a few weeks ago but now, wouldn't a big salad with lots of fresh veggies be nice?
The cost of utilities eats huge chunks out of any fun-money that might have been applied to any fun. The once-steady flow of friends and family from the mainland have dribbled to a trickle, which actually is a good thing because it gets awfully expensive to do the fun things that visitors always want to do when they're here.
It goes on and on and at about month eighteen or so they really start to let loose. The price of things, how little you get for your money compared to (FILL IN THE BLANK), how much they could be making if they lived in (FILL IN THE BLANK), etc, etc, ad nauseum. One I know carried pictures of her former house in Tennessee (a HUGE new-build that they had sold to move here) and showed them to anyone who would stop and look. Yeah, yeah....but it's in TENNESSEE. She also resorted to home-schooling her son after dealing with the public schools here. She, her husband, and her son all left a little after the two-year mark. And they made relatively good money---two RN's. The bang-for-the-buck disparities were what did them in.
Oh well. They wouldn't have listened if you had told them. They were different, material things were not that important to them, they were sure that Hawaii would supply whatever they believed their present life was lacking. They were convinced that they could put up with anything as long as they could "follow their dream."
Dreams can be wonderful...and then you wake up.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Lets see Wink - could it be they spent several months on a job search with no income - didn't have enough in savings - blew a lot of cash on the move - were accustomed to a mainland lifestyle and couldn't transition to meet the budget on a remote island - didn't properly budget rent and utilities - a spouse couldn't get a job or only minimum wage and they were counting on a robust two income family - never budgeted family emergencies/weddings on the mainland -

Could it be one of those things?
If a job requires a person to have savings in order to survive on the salary it pays, that's an issue with the salary not the worker.

Typically, professional jobs pay enough that people can afford vacations. But not Hawaii, right? No one should be able to expect to go on a vacation! That's funny because I constantly hear about people going on trips to "Vegas".

It used to be that one income could support a family. It's good for raising kids. But unfortunately that way of life is impossible in most of the country. Maybe since Hawaii values "ohana" so much we should pay people more so they don't have to put their kids in daycare.

What is this "mainland lifestyle"? Last I checked, Hawaii was America. We have electricity, running water, and public education just like everybody else in America. I even see a hell of a lot of brand new cars. Even a Volt and several Leafs on Maui. People in Honolulu live in more tall buildings than Austin. What exactly is supposed to be different about the lifestyle here? You sound like one of those idiots who stereotypes "mainlanders" as if they're some uniform group of people that is always rushing, rude, materialistic, etc. News flash... most cities on the mainland have as many people as this entire state. In your mind "the mainland" might be another island, but it's not. It's an entire country minus about a million people who aren't in it. I can't remember if you're from Hawaii but I'm guessing if not, then you've been here a long long time.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 04-20-2012 at 01:04 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
This whole State is one big revolving door.
I have gotten to a point where I have actually grown fond of watching the evolution of transplants as time goes by. A sort of detached, un-scientific observation process. I don't wish them ill and there isn't anything I can do about the decline anyway so I just watch.
The unbridled joy and passion when they first arrive. They love EVERYTHING!!! They're bubbling, gleeful, taking diving lessons, learning to windsurf, enjoying the jealous messages that those left behind have posted on their Facebook pages. "We're in HA-WHY-EEEEEEEEEE!!!"
Then the slooooow degradation of the joy-state. That apartment that they took because it was all they could afford and the pickings were so slim is looking way crappier than when they first got here. The roaches that head for every crumb are less tolerable than six months before. Ramen was okay a few weeks ago but now, wouldn't a big salad with lots of fresh veggies be nice?
The cost of utilities eats huge chunks out of any fun-money that might have been applied to any fun. The once-steady flow of friends and family from the mainland have dribbled to a trickle, which actually is a good thing because it gets awfully expensive to do the fun things that visitors always want to do when they're here.
It goes on and on and at about month eighteen or so they really start to let loose. The price of things, how little you get for your money compared to (FILL IN THE BLANK), how much they could be making if they lived in (FILL IN THE BLANK), etc, etc, ad nauseum. One I know carried pictures of her former house in Tennessee (a HUGE new-build that they had sold to move here) and showed them to anyone who would stop and look. Yeah, yeah....but it's in TENNESSEE. She also resorted to home-schooling her son after dealing with the public schools here. She, her husband, and her son all left a little after the two-year mark. And they made relatively good money---two RN's. The bang-for-the-buck disparities were what did them in.
Oh well. They wouldn't have listened if you had told them. They were different, material things were not that important to them, they were sure that Hawaii would supply whatever they believed their present life was lacking. They were convinced that they could put up with anything as long as they could "follow their dream."
Dreams can be wonderful...and then you wake up.

Sounds like stupid people.

To me the bang for the buck is pretty good. The problem is the lack of bucks.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
If a job requires a person to have savings in order to survive on the salary it pays, that's an issue with the salary not the worker.

Typically, professional jobs pay enough that people can afford vacations. But not Hawaii, right? No one should be able to expect to go on a vacation! That's funny because I constantly hear about people going on trips to "Vegas".

It used to be that one income could support a family. It's good for raising kids. But unfortunately that way of life is impossible in most of the country. Maybe since Hawaii values "ohana" so much we should pay people more so they don't have to put their kids in daycare.

What is this "mainland lifestyle"? Last I checked, Hawaii was America. We have electricity, running water, and public education just like everybody else in America. What exactly is supposed to be different about the lifestyle here? You sound like one of those idiots who stereotypes "mainlanders" as if they're some uniform group of people that is always rushing, rude, materialistic, etc. News flash... most cities on the mainland have as many people as this entire state. In your mind "the mainland" might be another island, but it's not. It's an entire country minus about a million people who aren't in it (and who seem to relate better to Japan or the Philippines anyway). I can't remember if you're from Hawaii but I'm guessing if not, then you've been here a long long time.
It is always entertainment value with you -

I didn't say it required savings to live in Hawaii. I said - they blew their savings moving to Hawaii (like you did when you moved from Houston and you couldn't even wait for a deferred check from the state and had to borrow from your parents - just read your old posts).

Savings are blown for the potential multi-month job search - since many have this illusion jobs are plentiful.

Let's take the next paragraph - typically professional jobs pay enough for vacations - I don't disagree - hey we agree! But what about the spouse who can't find a job or gets a minimum wage job - hmmm, that kind of digs into the professional wage earner salary doesn't it?? A single person making $70K at my company, lets call that average - can afford an occasional vacation.

"It used to be that one income could support a family." - wink, this isn't the 1950's and most aren't Mitt Romney's spouse. "Maybe since Hawaii values "ohana" so much we should pay people more" You keep thinking there is all this extra cash and a conspiracy theory to pay people less - I'll try this again - don't you think by now, in 2012 - someone would come to Hawaii - pay all these premium wages and take the best of the best - if it really was feasible - the wages are what they are.

"What is this "mainland lifestyle"? Last I checked, Hawaii was America" Really?? You don't know Hawaii is different than anywhere else in "America" I'm not from here - but come on, you think a remote island 2,500 miles from the mainland isn't different? You've been here 2 years now right? You don't know Hawaii is different - very different? Seriously?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:21 AM

52 posts, read 108,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

It's dreamin (sorry) that is unrealistic.
OK, thank you for being realistic. There are hundreds, quite possibly thousands of threads here with your type of realistic pessimism. Complaints and warnings about living here are nothing new.

The OP asked about well being. Honolulu is one of the happiest cities in the US to live. I thought I would try and counter all the pessimism and negativity that is so rampant here. The first reply OP got was someone who was obviously very upset that didn't have any money left at the end of the month. That fine and thank you for your opinion and experience, but there are countless threads to make negative statements in. All I'm saying is that it wouldn't hurt for people to post nice stuff once in a while instead of using city data forum as a place to come and complain.

Once again before somebody calls me an unrealistic dreamer or something, is that I wholly believe there are people who should not come here. I also believe that not everyone fails here and it is quite possible to be happy here.

I like hiking the lush valleys as it makes me appreciate the natural beauty around me. Sometimes you can get out there and smell the wild ginger flower as you walk along the trail.

Turquoise waters and sunny days on the windward side make me appreciate so many things and seeing the huge green mountains while driving down H3 makes my breath catch every time.

What do you guys do to increase your emotional well being since life here sucks so bad?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandDreamin View Post
The OP asked about well being. Honolulu is one of the happiest cities in the US to live.

Once again before somebody calls me an unrealistic dreamer or something, is that I wholly believe there are people who should not come here. I also believe that not everyone fails here and it is quite possible to be happy here.
A couple of things - the article isn't referencing happiness, it says rankings are based on life evaluation, emotional health, work environment, physical health, healthy behaviors, and access to basic necessities.

So, based on that - I agree with the article. But, it isn't a happiness poll.

Who is suggesting everyone fails? There are some facts though. Hawaii has a net export of people who live in Hawaii and move to other places. People leaving exceed people staying in Hawaii. Population increase is due to more births than deaths.

Of course many people make it - but realistically, most don't. It is what it is.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
It is always entertainment value with you -

I didn't say it required savings to live in Hawaii. I said - they blew their savings moving to Hawaii (like you did when you moved from Houston and you couldn't even wait for a deferred check from the state and had to borrow from your parents - just read your old posts).

Savings are blown for the potential multi-month job search - since many have this illusion jobs are plentiful.

Let's take the next paragraph - typically professional jobs pay enough for vacations - I don't disagree - hey we agree! But what about the spouse who can't find a job or gets a minimum wage job - hmmm, that kind of digs into the professional wage earner salary doesn't it?? A single person making $70K at my company, lets call that average - can afford an occasional vacation.

"It used to be that one income could support a family." - wink, this isn't the 1950's and most aren't Mitt Romney's spouse. "Maybe since Hawaii values "ohana" so much we should pay people more" You keep thinking there is all this extra cash and a conspiracy theory to pay people less - I'll try this again - don't you think by now, in 2012 - someone would come to Hawaii - pay all these premium wages and take the best of the best - if it really was feasible - the wages are what they are.

"What is this "mainland lifestyle"? Last I checked, Hawaii was America" Really?? You don't know Hawaii is different than anywhere else in "America" I'm not from here - but come on, you think a remote island 2,500 miles from the mainland isn't different? You've been here 2 years now right? You don't know Hawaii is different - very different? Seriously?

I just don't understand why a job requires you to have savings. A good job, in a place other than Hawaii, allows you to build your savings.... not use them up.

Explain to me how people in Hawaii live more cheaply than people "on the mainland". I've seen this bull**** claim about materialism... And yet I see many many brand new cars and giant Tundra pickups with massive chrome wheels and $3000 surfboards on the roof. So don't try to claim Hawaii is somehow more modest than the rest of the country. Maybe people who think that are comparing to the one place on "the mainland" that they visit, Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: