Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:29 AM

109 posts, read 350,853 times

Advertisements

I realize a lot of people have pit bull dogs on Oahu (and Hawaii for that matter) and live in a house, but there are also a lot that I imagine live in apartments.

Is anyone aware of any buildings, landlords, property managers that are not discriminatory against certain breeds? I mean, if the renter has renters insurance with liability coverage, that should be good I would hope. I spoke with one man in Waikiki who stated that if the tenant has renters insurance it shouldn't be a problem, and that some landlords mind, others do not.

So, have any of you specifially seen anyone with pit bulls or pit bull mixes in aparments on oahu, in the honolulu area, waikiki, Kailua, etc ? Any insight would be great. I see them everywhere and I know not everyone with one live in a house!

Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 02:26 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
In the more "congested areas" usually its the insurance carrier for the property that will not write a policy if certain breeds are allowed. No matter how much insurance you have, the property will restrict certain or all breeds otherwise they can;t get insurance. It's not descrimination against any breed, its pure and simple based on insurance company research and history on what breeds result in the most and costliest claims paid.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:48 PM

431 posts, read 939,602 times
Most landlords, if they allow pets at all, do so "on approval." Some even state that they want to meet the dog and will decide then.
I would imagine that you might have a problem.
Another thing. Upon researching airlines that will fly pets (and there are fewer of them than years ago) I discovered that many will not carry dogs such as pitbulls, pitbull mixes, cane corsos, mastiffs, rottweilers, etc. They also require a veterinary certificate that states the breed of dog so no fudging there, I guess. Here's why:

Worldandnation: Pit bull chews through plane's wiring

I'm sure there must be an airline out there that will transport your dog but I think it might take some looking to find one.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
Most landlords, if they allow pets at all, do so "on approval." Some even state that they want to meet the dog and will decide then.
I would imagine that you might have a problem.
Another thing. Upon researching airlines that will fly pets (and there are fewer of them than years ago) I discovered that many will not carry dogs such as pitbulls, pitbull mixes, cane corsos, mastiffs, rottweilers, etc. They also require a veterinary certificate that states the breed of dog so no fudging there, I guess. Here's why:

Worldandnation: Pit bull chews through plane's wiring

I'm sure there must be an airline out there that will transport your dog but I think it might take some looking to find one.
Well, I am part of many pit bull forums, and they do have many airlines that will transport them in cargo. Now, how any dog got out of a kennel to chew anything. Sounds like employee error. I met a service member who had their 2 pit bulls flown there, but they rent a house. My vet writes on the print outs "mix"

Old 03-22-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike6623 View Post
Well, I am part of many pit bull forums, and they do have many airlines that will transport them in cargo. Now, how any dog got out of a kennel to chew anything. Sounds like employee error. I met a service member who had their 2 pit bulls flown there, but they rent a house. My vet writes on the print outs "mix"
Service members fly their animals under a different system, even with commercial transporters. It's called "Patriot Express" and is much cheaper and I'm not sure if they have different rules regarding the animals. I have a military neighbor (renter) who has several dogs and they go everywhere the family goes. The owner of the single-family property is retired military and yes, he is a dog lover, LOL, and sympathetic to military dog owners. One of the dogs is a pitbull and she is an absolute sweetie.
Looks like the fees to ship dogs are going up, in general---check out this article:

Patriot Express pet fees not affected by United's new policy - News - Stripes

How much were you quoted for transport for your dog? Just curious.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
Service members fly their animals under a different system, even with commercial transporters. It's called "Patriot Express" and is much cheaper and I'm not sure if they have different rules regarding the animals. I have a military neighbor (renter) who has several dogs and they go everywhere the family goes. The owner of the single-family property is retired military and yes, he is a dog lover, LOL, and sympathetic to military dog owners. One of the dogs is a pitbull and she is an absolute sweetie.
Looks like the fees to ship dogs are going up, in general---check out this article:

Patriot Express pet fees not affected by United's new policy - News - Stripes

How much were you quoted for transport for your dog? Just curious.
Patriot Exopress is only pertaining to pets being transported through JAPAN. It has no bearing on any other pet transport.

There is no special rules for militray members pets. The militray and members do have acces to the DOD vet services for some paperwork and airlines do extend some curtesy to military memebrs (such as those showing up on a advance ticket with a dog that wasn;t reserved for that flight) and general items like that. However the pets of service members are still consider personal pets.

What many are hearing is the changes that are happening after a well rcognized animal welfare group commissioned a study on deaths and injuries to pets while flying, and the report conclusion shocked the pet world. The report essentially said that certain dogs are unfit to travel by air because they have physical impearments due to breeding. We all know that brachycephalic pets sufferd major problems while flying no matter if in cargo on on a private jet. Well the report extended the breeding impearments to all "snub-nose" animnals as well. These types of pets were only about 1/3 the total animals flying, yet contributed to something like 2/3 of all deaths. After extensive scientific reserach, it was determined that their airways and physical makeup from breeding, makes it very difficult for them to breath when certain pressure is used such as on aircraft. Although long nose breeds can exhibit probelsm, they are closer to humans in the abiity to adjust, snub nose and less had no such ability to compensate for the presssure.

So you will noticed that airlines are begining to removed the word
"brachycephalic" and replaced it with "short or snub nose" breeds in their restriction pages.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Patriot Exopress is only pertaining to pets being transported through JAPAN. It has no bearing on any other pet transport.

There is no special rules for militray members pets. The militray and members do have acces to the DOD vet services for some paperwork and airlines do extend some curtesy to military memebrs (such as those showing up on a advance ticket with a dog that wasn;t reserved for that flight) and general items like that. However the pets of service members are still consider personal pets.

What many are hearing is the changes that are happening after a well rcognized animal welfare group commissioned a study on deaths and injuries to pets while flying, and the report conclusion shocked the pet world. The report essentially said that certain dogs are unfit to travel by air because they have physical impearments due to breeding. We all know that brachycephalic pets sufferd major problems while flying no matter if in cargo on on a private jet. Well the report extended the breeding impearments to all "snub-nose" animnals as well. These types of pets were only about 1/3 the total animals flying, yet contributed to something like 2/3 of all deaths. After extensive scientific reserach, it was determined that their airways and physical makeup from breeding, makes it very difficult for them to breath when certain pressure is used such as on aircraft. Although long nose breeds can exhibit probelsm, they are closer to humans in the abiity to adjust, snub nose and less had no such ability to compensate for the presssure.

So you will noticed that airlines are begining to removed the word
"brachycephalic" and replaced it with "short or snub nose" breeds in their restriction pages.
Thanks for the clarification about Patriot Express. My neighbor has been stationed in Japan so I guess that's how I came to my mistaken conclusions.
I knew about the brachycephalic restrictions but airlines are also now imposing breed-specific restrictions that go beyond the snub-nosed issue:

http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont...trictions.aspx

Dog breed restrictions

United will not accept the following breeds of dogs once they have reached either 6 months of age or 20 pounds (9 kg) in weight (whichever comes first). This includes mixed breeds of these dogs. No exceptions to this embargo will be permitted.

Restricted breeds:
  • American Staffordshire Terriers
  • Ca de Bou
  • Cane Corso
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Fila Brasileiro
  • Perro de Presa Canario
  • Pit Bull Terriers
  • Presa Canario
  • Tosa (or Tosa Ken)
Determination of breed, age or weight of the animal is to be confirmed by the animal's Health Certificate (dated within 10 days of transport). Additionally, United reserves the right to refuse any animal that displays aggression or viciousness at the time of tender.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:12 PM

That is only untied, there are plenty that will accept them, not to mention, pit bull terriers are not snub nosed. If that is the case, labs would be snub nosed because it is about the same

Old 03-22-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike6623 View Post
That is only untied, there are plenty that will accept them, not to mention, pit bull terriers are not snub nosed. If that is the case, labs would be snub nosed because it is about the same
there is atechnical term for the way the breeding of certain dogs have created a impairment in the way air travels from nose to lung and not all snub or short nose dogs have this. But I will say I think that some airlines and others may have some fear of pitbulls and any reason that they can find (no matter the stretch) is all they need to say no.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:01 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
No, having your own renter's insurance with liability coverage is usually not enough. The reason many apartment complexes* will not take pit bulls, rottweilers, or other so-called "aggressive breeds" is that their liability insurance carriers prohibit it. And the trend is to towards more restrictions, rather than less.

*One survey of apartment owners I ran across said only about 10% will accept them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu