Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:02 PM

9 posts, read 15,837 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,

My name is Matthew. First and formost I want to say Hi, and sorry for making a new thread. It is that there is so many some info new some old. I need a little help here.

Here is my shpeel

I am 25 years old. I recently accepted a job on Oahu as a VP of the indystrial side of the company. ( VP sounds good but only about 20 employees). With this in the begining I did not think of or even know how much time effort moving to hawaii is compaired to moving anywere on the mainland.

I have and am running into the normal (need help areas)
1. Dog- I have a beautiful Boxer named Ruskie. Lets jsut say this guy is mine and my fience's son. he will be making the big move with us. I have done the paper work to this point, vet, blood etc... he will be spending about a month and a half in quarintine since I didn't even realize the 120 day waiting until it was under 120 days.

I have seen alot of different things on flying. If anyone has some recent tips or comments please feel free to let me know. He will be flying from Chicago. More then likely the end of arpil/ beg of May. So we do not run into the over 85f between Chi and Honolulu.

2. Apartments- Now this I think is the biggest headache to everyone. I have looked and looked into apartments I have come to an understanding that housing no matter where you look is just expensive. the even bigger problem I am running into is if i search 1 or 2 bedroom lets say 500 results come back as soon as I click dog now there is 100. Lets weed out the ones who say under 20lbs now I have very few choices. With this (i will show my budget below) can anyone suggest places, parts of the city, or anything that can help me move in the right direction. As just today I thought I had found the perfect place. the more I looked into it the more I realized it was a scammer trying to get 3500 from me (I called the real property owner, and the HPD I dont want anyone getting a bad rep or getting scammed from some idiot).

The only thing we are looking for is this.
dogs allowable ( I have 2 letters of rec from 2 prior landlords who love my dog. He doesnt bark, and has never had one mistake in a house)

3. Somewhere safe. ( I understand there is crime in every city) but with this there is parts of town that or better then others.

Somewere half way close to what we will be doing.

I will be working in Honolulu on Ahua Street. Savannah will be attending UoH for her next degree. Initially I wanted to live downtown Waikiki after realizing how crowed and how parking was plus with it always being filled with tourist. I have just looked anywhere in that area mostly downtown Honolulu. I was trying to stay downtown so it would be alot easier to get to know everything and get familiar. But at this point all I want is a place that is relatively close to what we will mainly be doing (work school) that isnt on the north shore or doesnt take an hour to get home (i understand if there is crazy traffic thats one thing)

4. Moving stuff- the company is paying for our move I will have a container with our belongings being shipped and me and savannah will be driving to California to ship my car.
Some say leave everything you can, some say take whatever you can.
I know it depends on if a place is fully furnished or not. but after looking on sites like craigslist, furniture and such isnt the cheapest. Would some suggest if you can fit it take it? Such as a couch love seat etc...?

As I said before this is what I am looking for I do not think it is out of reach just hard to get some of these done with out being there. Any help would be so appreciated, since reading these forums for hours a day you guys are my new local family!!

Budget is as follows
I will be working full time.
Savannah will be focusing on school and working part time at a retail store or something of that nature. (I am not estimating on her income it is not included)

I will have a full use work vehicle. and provided Cell phone.
Income 80,000 yr or roughly 1500 a week
Income after taxes roughly 1050/wk

I assume the following please correct anything or add suggestions.

Rent- 1500-1800
Utilities- 150
Cable/Inter-100
Phone-(hers) 75
Food- 400
Gas- 125
Personal- 250
debt payments (car loan etc..) 500

totaling
3100-3300 monthly.

Is this a good estimate.

I thank you all for reading this and any help you can give. I understand many have giving this information. I owe everyone a dinner!! (it may have to be at different times as I did not put this in my budget )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 03:11 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstier86 View Post
1. Dog- I have a beautiful Boxer named Ruskie. Lets jsut say this guy is mine and my fience's son. he will be making the big move with us. I have done the paper work to this point, vet, blood etc... he will be spending about a month and a half in quarintine since I didn't even realize the 120 day waiting until it was under 120 days.
Best of luck. I don't want to hijack your thread, so I'll start a new thread about this one. I've always been curious about it.

Best of luck with your move though.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:24 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:

2. Apartments- Now this I think is the biggest headache to everyone. I have looked and looked into apartments I have come to an understanding that housing no matter where you look is just expensive. the even bigger problem I am running into is if i search 1 or 2 bedroom lets say 500 results come back as soon as I click dog now there is 100. Lets weed out the ones who say under 20lbs now I have very few choices. With this (i will show my budget below) can anyone suggest places, parts of the city, or anything that can help me move in the right direction. As just today I thought I had found the perfect place. the more I looked into it the more I realized it was a scammer trying to get 3500 from me (I called the real property owner, and the HPD I dont want anyone getting a bad rep or getting scammed from some idiot).

The only thing we are looking for is this.
dogs allowable ( I have 2 letters of rec from 2 prior landlords who love my dog. He doesnt bark, and has never had one mistake in a house)

3. Somewhere safe. ( I understand there is crime in every city) but with this there is parts of town that or better then others.

Somewere half way close to what we will be doing.

I will be working in Honolulu on Ahua Street. Savannah will be attending UoH for her next degree. Initially I wanted to live downtown Waikiki after realizing how crowed and how parking was plus with it always being filled with tourist. I have just looked anywhere in that area mostly downtown Honolulu. I was trying to stay downtown so it would be alot easier to get to know everything and get familiar. But at this point all I want is a place that is relatively close to what we will mainly be doing (work school) that isnt on the north shore or doesnt take an hour to get home (i understand if there is crazy traffic thats one thing)

4. Moving stuff- the company is paying for our move I will have a container with our belongings being shipped and me and savannah will be driving to California to ship my car.
Some say leave everything you can, some say take whatever you can.
I know it depends on if a place is fully furnished or not. but after looking on sites like craigslist, furniture and such isnt the cheapest. Would some suggest if you can fit it take it? Such as a couch love seat etc...?

As I said before this is what I am looking for I do not think it is out of reach just hard to get some of these done with out being there. Any help would be so appreciated, since reading these forums for hours a day you guys are my new local family!!

Budget is as follows
I will be working full time.
Savannah will be focusing on school and working part time at a retail store or something of that nature. (I am not estimating on her income it is not included)

I will have a full use work vehicle. and provided Cell phone.
Income 80,000 yr or roughly 1500 a week
Income after taxes roughly 1050/wk

I assume the following please correct anything or add suggestions.

Rent- 1500-1800
Utilities- 150
Cable/Inter-100
Phone-(hers) 75
Food- 400
Gas- 125
Personal- 250
debt payments (car loan etc..) 500

totaling
3100-3300 monthly.

Is this a good estimate.

I thank you all for reading this and any help you can give. I understand many have giving this information. I owe everyone a dinner!! (it may have to be at different times as I did not put this in my budget )
Regarding the dog. It's expensive to put the dog in quarantine and it is pretty traumatic. Do you know anyone that can care for the dog until the 120 days are up where you live now and send the dog later for direct release?

On Apartments - trying to find an apartment from the mainland is difficult and frustrating. Find a short term vacation rental - get your feet on the ground, get to know the neighborhoods - and then find a long term rental. From where you are working and your budget - you may want to look around the Aiea/Pearl City area. Your monthly budget for rent is on the low side with a dog. If you ship your furniture - you can always store it short term if in a short term rental.

On your budget - you'll probably spend more on gas as it is getting close to $5/gallon and potentially more on electric.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Regarding the dog. It's expensive to put the dog in quarantine and it is pretty traumatic. Do you know anyone that can care for the dog until the 120 days are up where you live now and send the dog later for direct release?

On Apartments - trying to find an apartment from the mainland is difficult and frustrating. Find a short term vacation rental - get your feet on the ground, get to know the neighborhoods - and then find a long term rental. From where you are working and your budget - you may want to look around the Aiea/Pearl City area. Your monthly budget for rent is on the low side with a dog. If you ship your furniture - you can always store it short term if in a short term rental.

On your budget - you'll probably spend more on gas as it is getting close to $5/gallon and potentially more on electric.
Thank you.
I am trying to work on someone watching him. bad thing is that the closest "Main" airport to my family is Chicago which is 3hrs each way. I do not want to quarintine him if I dont have to.

Gas- I will factor more in for gas I was just assuming what savannah would use going to school and back genral. others I would use the work truck which work pays for gas.

Good thing about the furniture if I do take it is that the company I am working for owns the container so if I have to I can store it in there if I need to end up selling it.

I will look into some vacation rentals also (thanks for that )

Old 04-04-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Thank you.
I am trying to work on someone watching him. bad thing is that the closest "Main" airport to my family is Chicago which is 3hrs each way. I do not want to quarintine him if I dont have to.

Gas- I will factor more in for gas I was just assuming what savannah would use going to school and back genral. others I would use the work truck which work pays for gas.

Good thing about the furniture if I do take it is that the company I am working for owns the container so if I have to I can store it in there if I need to end up selling it.

I will look into some vacation rentals also (thanks for that )
Look for vacation rentals here:

Oahu Beach Rentals, Oahu Condo Rentals, Vacation Rentals by Owner Oahu, Vacation Home Rentals, VRBO Oahu (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/oahu - broken link)

Old 04-04-2012, 06:07 PM

20 posts, read 60,946 times
Wink Good luck :)

I just want to say thank you for this post. I do not live in Hawaii but I am also a hopeful dreamer, with my husband to be transferred to the island of Oahu sooner than later. I too have a boxer, she is 5. Anyone who has had a boxer knows how mean they can look but HOW loving & loyal they are. I am so discouraged at all of the rental homes who are unwilling to entertain large pets. Pet lovers are willing to do anything to keep their "kids" with them and these negative posts probably come from non-pet owners, or people who've lived in small spaces and seen dogs locked up all day in an apartment (not okay with me either). Our budget is more than you said, but with that being said there is still few to no rental homes. I am not willing to sacrifice a yard for her, but she is an inside dog who doesn't need much space. If you go to the Hawaii ASPCA website there is a pet-friendly rental agency list, or call them.
I moved to Southern California and there were so many people that said on this forum how stupid we were, how our decision was horrid. At the end of the day we love it here, but are Island dreamers The advice is awesome from certain people, but the ones who are miserable or feel strongly about dogs in particular will not say good things.
I wish you luck, hope you find someone to keep your boxer instead of quarantine, and life resumes perfectly for you. Compromise is a fact of life, unfortunately

Old 04-04-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcaligirl View Post
I just want to say thank you for this post. I do not live in Hawaii but I am also a hopeful dreamer, with my husband to be transferred to the island of Oahu sooner than later. I too have a boxer, she is 5. Anyone who has had a boxer knows how mean they can look but HOW loving & loyal they are. I am so discouraged at all of the rental homes who are unwilling to entertain large pets. Pet lovers are willing to do anything to keep their "kids" with them and these negative posts probably come from non-pet owners, or people who've lived in small spaces and seen dogs locked up all day in an apartment (not okay with me either). Our budget is more than you said, but with that being said there is still few to no rental homes. I am not willing to sacrifice a yard for her, but she is an inside dog who doesn't need much space. If you go to the Hawaii ASPCA website there is a pet-friendly rental agency list, or call them.
I moved to Southern California and there were so many people that said on this forum how stupid we were, how our decision was horrid. At the end of the day we love it here, but are Island dreamers The advice is awesome from certain people, but the ones who are miserable or feel strongly about dogs in particular will not say good things.
I wish you luck, hope you find someone to keep your boxer instead of quarantine, and life resumes perfectly for you. Compromise is a fact of life, unfortunately
You sound like me!!

I do not understand why bigger dogs let alone boxers have bad reputations. I have met some pretty mean small dogs!! I dont understand why the rentals that except dogs most of them say (dogs under 20lbs will be considered) again just because Ruskie weights 60lbs doesnt mean he is meaner then a 15lbs dog. He has to be one of the best behaved dogs I have ever met (and I am not saying that because he is mine!!)

I hope I can also not have to quarantine him, and I can find a friend to watch him for a month so his 120 is up. I do not want to have to put him through that, but if we have to we will so that we can make sure we have our best friend with us. (atleast we can visit him a few times a week)

I also have been checking the humane's pet friendly listings but most of them are very expensive but we will keep looking....
As far as the yard I would also love to have a yard even a small one for him. but if that doesnt happen for a year or two untill both of us have full time jobs. well he will keep us in shape as he does now with the daily walks. The one good thing i do like in oahu is there is alot of dog friendly parks and area's...

Sometimes in life when you take 10 steps forward you have to take 2 back with compromise but it will all work out (fingers crossed)

I will keep you posted on how it all works out. I look forward to helping others that are making the move in the future. Maybe I'll write a book on it lol

Old 04-04-2012, 07:13 PM

I think there is a perception by people from the mainland that people who rent out their residences are not pet friendly - because well, they don't rent to people with pets. Or there is this perception of mean dogs/breeds, etc.

I don't think Hawaii is as anti-pet friendly as people think.

The main issues are:

Many rentals are condos - and many condo associations don't allow pets.

But - there are still a lot of condos/units that could rent to pet owners but don't. Why not - they don't because the rental market is so tight in Hawaii that don't have to rent to people with pets - there is a market to rent to people without pets. If you own a condo - and 2 applications come in, one with pets - one without - about the same credit score, job history, etc - the unit is going to be rented to the person without pets. That way, they aren't risking carpet issues, etc.

In Hawaii a landlord cannot get a higher deposit for pets - so there is little to no incentive to rent to people with pets. The only incentive and some landlords do this - is they charge more per month for a similar unit that doesn't take pets.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:13 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,682 times
I'd bring all your stuff. If you can't use it, you'll get more money for used furniture here than on the mainland. Plus, the options for buying new furniture is very limited, so if you have decent stuff, bring it.

Especially since the company is paying for it.

Since you have a large dog, maybe you should look at houses instead of condos.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
I'd bring all your stuff. If you can't use it, you'll get more money for used furniture here than on the mainland. Plus, the options for buying new furniture is very limited, so if you have decent stuff, bring it.

Especially since the company is paying for it.

Since you have a large dog, maybe you should look at houses instead of condos.

Is there anywhere you could recommend looking for a small house rental? besides craigslist, ( its so infested with scams anymore)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu