Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 10:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,317,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyDiver View Post
I'm more amused that someone else spent a lot of time and keystrokes typing out a reply!
Truth be known, probably 90% of the questions asked here could answered more accurately and possibly quicker by using an internet search engine like Google, at least if one knows how to use one well. Granted, a few people are just too lazy or too clueless to do that.

On the other hand, there's an intangible value to making personal contact with others that many (most?) people are drawn to. How else would you explain all the people who spend time and energy ANSWERING the questions posted here? And most of them started out their participation here by asking their own questions. In the end the forum becomes at least as much a social media as it is an information utility.

When you think about it, would you still be here if every time you posted your questions here someone replied with "Let me Google that for you!"? I sure wouldn't.

I think "Let me Google that for you!" is kind of a funny gag at first, but after that I don't find the arrogance of that response wears well at all.

Last edited by OpenD; 05-05-2012 at 12:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 05:40 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,506,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

When you think about it, would you still be here if every time you posted your questions here someone replied with "Let me Google that for you!"? I sure wouldn't.

I think "Let me Google that for you!" is kind of a funny gag at first, but after that I don't find the arrogance of that response wears well at all.
Someone is bent out of shape.

First off, people don't post the LMGTFY to EVERY single response - I only see it posted every once in a great while and it's for simple questions that would obviously get a faster response by typing into Google rather than sitting around waiting for someone on a forum to respond.

The laziness of the posters far outweighs any "arrogance" associated with giving them a "DUH" response.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:47 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,040,458 times
There is a difference between asking for the definition of a word, and asking for advice.

I don't see that your statistic of 90% of the questions being asked on this forum being truly Google-able. I tend to see mostly questions where the person already has some knowledge of the subject, and is asking for locals' advice.

I actually haven't noticed a LMGTFY reply since I joined this forum, not saying they haven't been there, but I haven't seen them. This time it was not meant to be arrogant, it was meant to be humorous (and I got a few "quick reps" for it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu