Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 02:16 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,841,672 times

Advertisements

4 months a year does it for me ... Three minimum ... I can do full time, but I enjoy so many other parts of the life I have on mainland west coast that there's still a lot of drive to indulge in the variety.

But two weeks a year vacation? No no no. That would NEVER do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 07:06 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,789,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
"In the states" has the same sound as the eeeeekkkkkeeee when fingernails are dragged across a chalkboard.
My point was that using the term "in the states", as if Hawaii is NOT a state, is an irritant. That's all. It's now be explained that the intent of the post I'd commented on was not meaning to exclude Hawaii. So all's well. Peace within the zoo.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:25 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,608,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HostelDweller View Post
As for these type of comparisons, just booked a SoCal family trip for July. I plan to put SoCal (San Diego to Santa Barbara) under the microscope as it compares to HI, specifically Oahu. We know about many of the differences but have'nt been out there in 20 years. FYI, Hawaii 2012 is already booked for November. North/Central Florida is next. I'm taking this exit strategy planning very seriously and just can't see spending 12 months a year in NJ for the rest of my life for many reasons (excluding vacations). Also, already know that Oahu is far and away the Number 1 pick but the other options to have some pluses.
I have two friends from Hawaii that have since moved to San Diego and prefer it there. They say the cooler weather, lower humidity, overall vibe, great mexican food, and proximity to great ski resorts makes it a better overall place to live. I think a lot of it just comes down to personal preference. I like SoCal weather better personally (near the coast of course, not inland) because I would sweat constantly in Honolulu trying to do active things during the day (basketball, cycling, volleyball, yard work, tennis, golf) where the drier and cooler (mid 60's to mid 70's) San Diego weather was absolutely perfect for that kind of stuff. Of course I am just nitpicking at this point, either place is pleasant and stable pretty much year round.

Florida has been great the few times I have been down there, but it has only been October - April time of the year. I hear the heat and humidity is oppressive in the summer. Then again, houses are cheap, the beaches are nice, and this isn't 1856... so you can go inside and turn on the A/C if it gets bad.

Sounds like you have three good options on the table.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,743,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
I have two friends from Hawaii that have since moved to San Diego and prefer it there. They say the cooler weather, lower humidity, overall vibe, great mexican food,
Sigh - great mexican food - that has been very elusive for me to find on Oahu - I'm still searching. I'd even settle for a Chevy's here.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:42 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,796,010 times
Quote:
I like SoCal weather better personally (near the coast of course, not inland) because I would sweat constantly in Honolulu trying to do active things during the day (basketball, cycling, volleyball, yard work, tennis, golf) where the drier and cooler (mid 60's to mid 70's) San Diego weather was absolutely perfect for that kind of stuff.
So, in San Diego you don't sweat when playing basketball, cycling, volleyball, yard work, tennis...? If so, then I don't think you are doing it right!

Old 04-24-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
So, in San Diego you don't sweat when playing basketball, cycling, volleyball, yard work, tennis...? If so, then I don't think you are doing it right!
No, I don't sweat CONSTANTLY doing active things in San Diego weather.

Of course you sweat during a hard match, you do that if it is 50 degrees out, but I am not drenched the second I start moving like I was in the sunlight in Honolulu. If I rode my bike to UH from Date st at 9am I would arrive almost completely soaked and have to shower in the locker room or smell like crap the rest of the day. If I mowed the lawn with the sun out I would be drenched from head to toe by the time I finished. If I played volleyball on the beach during the day I would be covered in sweat. A hike up Mariners Ridge (not particularly strenuous unless you keep up a really hard pace) would leave me drenched. Even golf, which is a pretty light activity, would leave me soaked and sticky for the rest of the day if I played at the Pali, Ala Wai, or especially West Loch and Ewa Villages. That is why we would wait for the sun to go down before doing most anything besides the beach or sitting in the shade. I got tired of doing 3 loads of laundry every week.

It is just not the same as when it is a comfortable 60-70 degrees outside, there is a cool breeze off the ocean, the sun angle is not so high, and the dewpoint is lower like most days in San Diego. Sure you work up a sweat while you are working hard but for light/moderate activity levels like a light bike ride, just shooting around, or working in the garden you hardly sweat at all and if you do it evaporates almost instantly. Spring/Fall weather in VA is very similar to that, I played 18 holes last saturday, then cut the grass, then walked the dogs all in broad daylight and I only changed clothes because I got clippings on my shorts and socks.

Which do you think would be more comfortable for tennis, volleyball, basketball, golf, doing yard work or hiking?

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USHI0026

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USCA0982

And San Diego has less rain, a lower UV index, and lower humidity to boot.

Hawaii wins for beach weather and comfortable night time bbq weather hands down, but for a lot of other things it is too damn hot all the time in my opinion... especially if the trades aren't blowing or are blocked somehow. There is a reason why every family out there owns a fold-up canopy, that tropical sun is strong. Hawaii doesn't have to win at everything, it is a nice place but it is not perfect by any stretch.

Last edited by UHgrad; 04-24-2012 at 07:23 AM..

Old 04-24-2012, 10:55 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,392,776 times
I love your posts, UHgrad. They're balanced, well thought out, and fair. People get (nit)picked on in these forums if they don't have 100% positive things to say about the location in question. I love Hawaii, but it isn't perfect (no place is), and there are plenty of other nice places to live, each with its own advantages and disadvantages.

To respond to the OP, two weeks in Hawaii is the minimum worthwhile trip for me, and three weeks is truly satisfying. We have friends and relatives (my wife's family) on Oahu and the BI, so our ideal trip is usually five days on Oahu, and the remainder on the BI. I love the excitement and diversity of Honolulu and the rest of Oahu. The BI is where I completely relax and unwind. Everyone wants us to visit them once, and then a second time, so we need three weeks to guarantee that we have a few days with no obligations or agenda.

My wife is retiring in eight years, and I have a job I can do from anywhere. Assuming I still have that flexibility after she retires, our plan is to spend longer blocks of time in Hawaii -- say, a month at a time. If we're able to do so, we'd like to move there permanently, but dividing our time between Portland and Hawaii would be just fine, too.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
I love your posts, UHgrad. They're balanced, well thought out, and fair. People get (nit)picked on in these forums if they don't have 100% positive things to say about the location in question.
Thanks. I have my biases and I am a know it all (just ask my wife) but I try to be fair and help folks out as best I can given my experiences living in various places.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:26 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,796,010 times
Quote:
No, I don't sweat CONSTANTLY doing active things in San Diego weather.
Play hard or go home. I sweat my butt off doing those things in Oregon!
LOL!!!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Play hard or go home. I sweat my butt off doing those things in Oregon!
LOL!!!
Haha, fair enough... gotta respect that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu