Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 08:38 PM

77 posts, read 213,038 times

Advertisements

When we first received orders here I posted a lot of questions about living here and concerns about schools, people, etc. I thought it was about time to post a thank you to everyone who helped me wade through all of the moving issues, as well as post on a misconception that concerned me when people started to give me advice based on their impressions on life here. We were warned that we would always be treated as outsiders and should watch out for racism and nasty attitudes from the locals because we are not local and, worse yet, are military. Thankfully that stuff usually goes in one ear and out the other, but I have to admit to having been a little concerned because my daughters would be starting their first years of school here. I'm happy to say that my daughters' experiences here have been more kind and loving that they have been in any other place we have lived. They're always treated like little princesses by the locals everywhere we go (even when they are behaving absolutely rotten as far as we're concerned). This is the most child-friendly place I've ever lived

I have had nothing but positive experiences with locals here...well, my husband's vehicle had a negative one the day after it arrived - someone went into the parking garage (military hotel garage) and wiped some kind of fecal matter on the underside of the door handle. We quickly registered the vehicle in HI and changed our plates. Aside from that, though, all of our experiences have been wonderful, to the point where we have considered staying for a second tour. I work as a substitute teacher at local schools so I work with locals frequently and have never had a negative experience. Everyone we interacted with at the parks, hiking, stores, restaurants, beaches...everywhere are always very nice. We haven't even experienced anything frustrating with respect to "island time" which is something people told us to watch out for. Although, Waikiki sure does shut down early! My husband and I actually got a sitter for a date night and walked out of a restaurant at 1 AM to find everything closed and the tiki torches turned off! That was a shocker! It's a good thing we're usually too tired to stay out that late anymore anyway If we didn't miss our family so much and the ability to jump in a car and drive to visit people, we would most definitely have a tough time deciding whether or not we want to stay longer. The people here are wonderful and I'm so thankful that we've had this opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 09:01 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
I'm so glad everything has been working out!

im sorry but i dont mean to laugh but LOL at the fecal matter incident

Old 05-29-2012, 08:01 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgilmore View Post
Although, Waikiki sure does shut down early! My husband and I actually got a sitter for a date night and walked out of a restaurant at 1 AM to find everything closed and the tiki torches turned off! That was a shocker! It's a good thing we're usually too tired to stay out that late anymore anyway
It makes sense though...sunrise to sunset with beach activity.

No point in businesses trying to be open through the night, when more people are at the beach during the day.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:30 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Thanks SO MUCH, or I should say Mahalo Nui Loa, for the follow-up. So many people come on this forum to ask questions, but then we never find out what happens to them.

Glad to hear that you and the family are doing well!

Old 05-29-2012, 12:54 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,516 times
Your post inspired me to update the one I made after being here for a month. Glad things have worked out for you!!!

Old 05-29-2012, 02:42 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Although, Waikiki sure does shut down early! My husband and I actually got a sitter for a date night and walked out of a restaurant at 1 AM to find everything closed and the tiki torches turned off! That was a shocker! It's a good thing we're usually too tired to stay out that late anymore anyway
Shootz, that's walking on the wild side compared to the Big Island, where most places close by 9pm!

OK, OK, Kona has a couple of places that are open until 9:30 on Saturday night, but still...

Old 05-29-2012, 03:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Although, Waikiki sure does shut down early! My husband and I actually got a sitter for a date night and walked out of a restaurant at 1 AM to find everything closed and the tiki torches turned off! That was a shocker!
No need to panic - plenty of 4am bars on Kuhio Avenue - you might even witness a fistfight or two.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:49 AM

9 posts, read 16,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
No need to panic - plenty of 4am bars on Kuhio Avenue - you might even witness a fistfight or two.
there's always Chinatown too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu