Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:29 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,968,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyDiver View Post
As everyone has read, we are committed for a year to Hilo; his like or dislike of Oahu will shake out on it's own. Everyone gave me lots of food for thought for our daily telephone conversations.
At the minimum, thanks for the interesting thread that we all were able to get involved with, and read.

Nice to see the new life you're bringing to the Hawaii forum as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 09:12 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,035,134 times
Thanks, Tiger! I have learned a lot. This was a fun dialogue. I hope I've also helped some people realize that not all people love or hate the same things. One person's bliss is another's hell.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:27 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,404,606 times
Well I usually assume people wanting to move to Hawaii are into outdoors stuff and warmth, and so don't want cold rainy weather!

Old 06-05-2012, 06:50 AM

Who said I wanted cold and rainy? You must have read someone else's post. However, one thing I'm worried about is the cold weather there. I had to mail sweetie one of his jackets, in fact. It gets into the sixties there, brrrrrrrr!!! When it gets into the seventies we are freezing. We really enjoy not having to wear much here and I'm kinda dreading the cold. Heh, at least it isn't snow (and yes, I know we can drive to snow there, amazing at that latitude!)

We love the outdoors very much, camping, kayaking, hiking, biking, diving, hanging out with the dogs. We're not into hanging at the beach at all...beaches are for diving from, launching kayaks from, or having an adult beverage at sunset. Cloudless blue skies are so boring.

Still, despite the repetitive "it rains there all the time bla bla bla bla did you know that it rains more than some place in PNW that you've never been too you're gonna hate it bla bla bla" of a small group of CDF posters, we are part of the rare group who are moving because he got such a great job offer. I know, posters like us are a rarity, right? With the daily "hey, guys, I'm broke and moving to Haw-why-ee, whaddaya think" posters, I'd think the naysayers here would find us to be refreshing.

Rain or not, we gotta go and hey, lucky for us that he doesn't have to work in some freezing cold or landlocked area. Lucky for us that we are hardy souls who have spent a lot of time living on boats and don't get all wimpy when we get a little wet.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:20 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,266,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Well I usually assume people wanting to move to Hawaii are into outdoors stuff and warmth, and so don't want cold rainy weather!
Hopefully by now you've learned those are not valid assumptions. People want to move to Hawai'i for many different reasons.

Sure, the reasons you mentioned are popular ones, but they aren't the only reasons, and they definitely don't apply to everyone.

Especially "outdoor stuff." Not everybody in Hawai'i surfs, or even goes swimming. I know people whose idea of doing outdoor stuff is to serve cocktails on the lanai.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:24 AM

You got a rep vote for that post, OpenD!

These two "people wanting to move to Hawai'i" are going for job reasons...again, lucky for us that the weather suits our personalities.

Mmmmm cocktails and apps on the lanai, mmmmm!

Old 06-05-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Mmmmm cocktails and apps on the lanai, mmmmm!
Appateasers? Horse doovers? We call them pupu.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:52 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,966,863 times
Quote:
Spouse left our tiny 84 square mile island in April to begin his new career as a sea captain who visits Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Hawai'i on a rotating basis (not necessarily in that order). I stayed behind with the dogs so that I can enter once the dogs' titers are aged enough.

We can live anywhere with his job as his commute is only once a month. He lives on the boat 30 days and is off 30 days. After lots and lots of research, we felt that Hilo would be the best fit for our personalities.

We've already rented a really cool single family home on Big Island; we move sometime in August. It's very private, roomy, great view, it was just incredible that we found something so perfect for our lifestyle.

However, he's gotten to spend some time docked in Honolulu and he loves it and is starting to entertain moving there. Perhaps 34 years of living with limited access to so many things makes Honolulu look so exciting to him. He's met lots of great people, got to play out at a few venues and had a blast (he's also a musician), thinks all of the people are so friendly and sweet, loves the food and...quite frankly...just being able to get whatever he wants whenever he wants, compared to our little island. He is really, really, really digging Honolulu. This from a man who always said he hates big cities.

Here's the tough part, we could afford Honolulu so he's thinking, what the heck. But I don't want to live in such a crowded place, and I think the Hilo vibe will be sweeter for a couple of old hippies. Because he is out to sea so much, I will be alone for a month at a time and quite frankly, I think Honolulu sounds like a great place to visit, but I don't think I want to live there. And the traffic, omg the traffic.

He's also spent a lot of time in Hilo and loves it there very much. He's seen the house, had lunch with the landlords, has been there 4-5 times, met lots of sweet people, loves the vibe. He's already found a sweet volunteer gig for me, in fact.

He's starting to squeak about how very cool Honolulu would be. I'm sure it is, but I think I'd like Hilo better.

He grew up in NYC and fled to our little island right after high school. I lived in a crowded mainland city (Ft. Lauderdale) for much of my adult life, and I am loving our current rural island lifestyle.

We're just renting for the first year (and likely much longer) so if we choose the wrong island, it's not the end of the world to move. Still, I don't think I want to be on Oahu, I think I'm going to love B.I. more. Especially because we're just a 2 hour drive to Kona for diving.

So, who wants to help me talk sweetie out of his dreams of changing our new venue from Hilo to Honolulu?

You said yourself you are renting for the first year and it's not the end of the world to move. So why not go where he wants the first year and see what happens after that. Why would you even consider talking him OUT of HIS DREAMS anyway? Pretty selfish on your part from where I stand.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You said yourself you are renting for the first year and it's not the end of the world to move. So why not go where he wants the first year and see what happens after that. Why would you even consider talking him OUT of HIS DREAMS anyway? Pretty selfish on your part from where I stand.
Let me guess... you only read the first post, and didn't read the whole thread before posting... am I right?

As I read it... I mean the whole thing... it seems pretty clear to me they're both quite lucky to be in a great relationship, and they find themselves in a dream situation they co-created, and after a little temporary distraction he's back to being happy with the original plan.

Sounds great to me!

Old 06-05-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Appateasers? Horse doovers? We call them pupu.
Thank you for the reminder! I appreciate it. I need to use the local lingo more. For instance, what you call a lanai, we call a gallery. I'm starting to use "lanai" in my language now and the locals are all "huh"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you are hilarious!!!! You so totally did not read the entire thread. His dream is to settle in a small town on a big piece of property. He likes Honolulu the way a kid likes Disneyland...so much fun to visit, but certainly impractical to live there. It's also obvious you did not read the thread because if you did, you would realize that I'm alone fully half of the year, and my dream certainly is not to be stuck in some dreary condo while he's out to sea. It's especially obvious that you didn't read the thread because if you had, you would see that we can easily enjoy Honolulu together when he's not out to sea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Let me guess... you only read the first post, and didn't read the whole thread before posting... am I right?

As I read it... I mean the whole thing... it seems pretty clear to me they're both quite lucky to be in a great relationship, and they find themselves in a dream situation they co-created, and after a little temporary distraction he's back to being happy with the original plan.

Sounds great to me!
Thank you, and you made me laugh too but in a good way. Tried to give you extra rep points...heck, I'm always trying to give you extra rep points but apparently I've given you too many already.

Yes, we are incredibly lucky to have found one another. We have quirky likes and quirky habits, neither one of us ever thought we'd find someone else just like us and there we were!!!

p.s. to Dear Mr. You Are Gonna Hate The Frogs (no not you OpenD!): I don't think I ever got around to posting this, but he's lived in Puerto Rico and has heard plenty of coqui frogs and they don't bother him a bit. I've listened to the mp3 of them online and realized that we have a few right here in the forest surrounding our current home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu