Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:21 AM

356 posts, read 1,061,556 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody

So I'm off to Oahu on August 7 for a week. I'm splitting the trip, 3 days at Haleiwa and 4 days at Honolulu. I want to start off my experience in the more laid back Haleiwa, during the week, then head on down to Honolulu for the weekend/remaining segment of the trip.

I will have no car and plan on using the bus to the fullest extent as my primary mode of transportation.

From Honolulu international airport, what is the most economical and fastest way possible to get to Haleiwa? If an economical and fast method don't exist, what are some other options? How much would a taxi cost? How long?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 03:15 PM

285 posts, read 1,078,881 times
If riding the bus from the airport, be sure to read about the allowable bag size you can take on the bus so you dont have any unwanted surprises when you try to board. If not mistaken there are size restrictions!!

Old 07-22-2012, 07:02 PM

15 posts, read 49,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex View Post
Hello everybody

So I'm off to Oahu on August 7 for a week. I'm splitting the trip, 3 days at Haleiwa and 4 days at Honolulu. I want to start off my experience in the more laid back Haleiwa, during the week, then head on down to Honolulu for the weekend/remaining segment of the trip.

I will have no car and plan on using the bus to the fullest extent as my primary mode of transportation.

From Honolulu international airport, what is the most economical and fastest way possible to get to Haleiwa? If an economical and fast method don't exist, what are some other options? How much would a taxi cost? How long?

Thanks in advance!
Taxi would be the fastest way, but expect to pay around 70 (possibly more) to get to Haleiwa. The bus system would be the most economical way, but it's going to take awhile (especially if you hit rush hour traffic). The bus system, however, is pretty good out there. Lots of people survive without cars. I personally never used it, though, so can't help you with routes. My husband took it when he first got stationed there before his truck was shipped out and said he used it all the time and basically just would go to the bus stop then tell the driver where he wanted to go and the bus driver would let him know routes.

While you're in haleiwa, walking or bicycle is your best option for getting around. The bus system will take you there, but it doesn't have very many stops up there.

When you're in Honolulu, almost everything is walking distance from the majority of hotels, or taxi's are your best bet if you don't want to walk.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Old 07-22-2012, 08:15 PM

959 posts, read 1,201,877 times
I realize you do not want a car while on vacation. But my recommendation would be to rent a car at the airport and keep it for your use during the 3 days you are in Haleiwa. Then drop it off when you return to Honolulu and just walk or use the bus in Honolulu.

Not only will it make it easy for you to get from the Airport to Haleiwa, and from Haleiwa back to Honolulu, it will also make it easy for you to leave Haleiwa on your own schedule to drive up the North Shore and see all the stuff around there that you are not going to get to experience if you are just on a bus. For example, you may want to stop at Sharks Cove and Sunset Beach and Waimea Bay, maybe even hike through Waimea Beach Park up to the waterfall and swimming hole. You may want to go West and Hike out to Kaena Point. All of these things would be difficult to do just relying on bus transportation.

Anyway, I'm sure you will have a great time regardless of whether you take the Bus or rent a car. But my advice would be to rent the car for the 3 days in Haleiwa, use it while on the North Shore, then return it when you come back in to Honolulu.

But good luck to you no matter what you end up doing and I'm sure you will love Haleiwa.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:42 AM

34 posts, read 86,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo31958 View Post
If riding the bus from the airport, be sure to read about the allowable bag size you can take on the bus so you dont have any unwanted surprises when you try to board. If not mistaken there are size restrictions!!
As long as your bags stay in your personal space and do not block other seats, or the center aisle you are ok. Which means on your lap, by your feet or under your seat. If the bus is very empty the driver may allow bigger baggage if you are lucky.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:38 PM

7 posts, read 12,481 times
We vacationed on the North Shore, (Haleiwa) last August. I really recommend a rental car. It is very far from the airport. Also, there is so much to see! We especially thought there was a lot to do and see along the whole East side all the way up from the airport to the North Shore. I think it would be hard to see much without a car. Honolulu is a different story. You can definitely use the buses there.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:26 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,381,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I realize you do not want a car while on vacation. But my recommendation would be to rent a car at the airport and keep it for your use during the 3 days you are in Haleiwa. Then drop it off when you return to Honolulu and just walk or use the bus in Honolulu.
As a frequent, and solo visitor to Honolulu, this is what you want to do. You can get a cheaper car at one of the off airport lots though.

There is just too much cool stuff to see up around Haleiwa. Unless all you're interested in is surfing and eating shave ice.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:05 AM

356 posts, read 1,061,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
As a frequent, and solo visitor to Honolulu, this is what you want to do. You can get a cheaper car at one of the off airport lots though.

There is just too much cool stuff to see up around Haleiwa. Unless all you're interested in is surfing and eating shave ice.
I could consider this. Any idea how much it would cost for a rental ?

Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,263,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex View Post
I could consider this. Any idea how much it would cost for a rental ?
That would be a good question to ask a few car rental companies about. Or check them online.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:00 PM

48,267 posts, read 34,391,475 times
I would veto the taxi. I lived in Kalihi Valley and I think it was $25 to the airport. For the price of taxi fare to north shore, I'm betting you could get a car for a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu