Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 06:29 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
It seems 3 months in advance is the norm.

Yelp has a very active base on Oahu with very detailed reviews - hence my suggestion. There is only a small handful from Oahu that post on here.

If your question is about the Big Island, you'd likely have several multi-paragraph responses.
Interesting... I didn't realize that there was a higher Big Island precence on here than people from Oahu.

I'll look at Yelp for some research, though sometimes you have to dig past the reviews of people giving a one star rating based solely on service(if the food is really good I could care less service as long as the servers aren't too slow) or low ratings because they couldn't get a seat to begin with. Where I live, Yelp is okay as sort of a starting place to look for restaurants, but sometimes a little harder to use to find hidden gems...

Morio's looks good, but probably too popular to book at table(might as well try though). I sort of like the smaller hole-in-the-wall sushi joints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 03:05 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

If your question is about the Big Island, you'd likely have several multi-paragraph responses.
Coffee coming out the friggin niele!!!!!!

Uuuurrrrpppp

Old 07-17-2014, 03:12 PM

351 posts, read 586,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I was going to start a thread similar to this, but thought I'd just restart this one...

I'm going to Honolulu for a few days(got a deal in Waikiki for a hotel) before heading on to Kauai... I've had some great Japanese food in Hawaii but I haven't been back for over a decade--and I know restaurants can come and go or change in quality pretty quickly.

Are there any good sushi bars near Waikiki these days? I'm willing to take a bus somewhere close by(won't have a car), but we'd like to stay fairly close--we'll probably also be down around the downtown/Chinatown area as well for a day. Is there any good sushi or Japanese food at the Ala Moana Center? How far is Morio's and is it still good?
Near Waikiki is Sushi Sasabune. It's on King Street between Ke'eaumoku and Kalakaua. It's only two blocks away from the intersection of King Street and Kalakaua Avenue. The sushi there is superb! They do "Omakase" which is the chef's special. As another poster said on this thread, the sushi is some of the freshest I've had. Kind of pricey though, about $100 to $150 per person.

In Waikiki, I've never been disapointed in this Japanese Restaurant "Yo****sune", which is also expensive, but the quality of the food has always been very high. Whenever I dine there, I see many well heeled Japanese nationals eating the restaurant's Kaiseki Teishoku.

Link: Yo****sune Restaurant, Honolulu - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 07-18-2014, 03:25 AM

806 posts, read 2,341,102 times
Kabuki in Aiea is my favorite!

Old 07-18-2014, 09:40 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,327 times
I've always like Yanagi across from the BMW dealer on Kap, it's not *the* best but I find it good, as well as fairly reasonably priced. Parking can be a total joke there, and sometimes you'll need reservations too. They have late night specials after 10:30, sometimes I like to go in there after a hard lifting session in the gym and destroy the late night specials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: