U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 01:50 PM

34 posts, read 61,305 times

Advertisements

Aloha

I have a serious cockroach problem.
As soon as I get rid of some, it seems more are coming back.
I live on the 10th floor of a building built in 1974.
It's been remodeled but there's still a bug problem for some reason.
I've been buying the regular cockroach traps from walmart, it worked in the beginning.
After they went away for awhile it seemed like a lot more came back.
I can't really afford fumigation because it's quite expensive.
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get rid of these pests?!?
Would love some advice.
Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 01:57 PM

10,438 posts, read 13,694,799 times
You need to find the source of where they are coming from - and eliminate whatever they are finding tasty in your unit.

If you can't find the source yourself - you really should get a professional, sounds like you have an outright infestation.

Do you have a building manager you can speak to? Maybe that person can help find the source.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:21 PM

34 posts, read 61,305 times
hey whtviper,

thanks for your response.
i've been looking for the source everywhere.....can't find it.
yea i'm thinking about getting a professional but the cheapest price i found was 100.
i'm hoping there's an alternative solution.
there's a building manager, but i'm just renting from a unit from someone so i can't really speak to the building manager.
i asked my landlord and she said, "tough luck, you signed the lease"

Old 10-31-2012, 02:34 PM

10,438 posts, read 13,694,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha88 View Post
yea i'm thinking about getting a professional but the cheapest price i found was 100.
i'm hoping there's an alternative solution.
there's a building manager, but i'm just renting from a unit from someone so i can't really speak to the building manager.
i asked my landlord and she said, "tough luck, you signed the lease"
You should be able to speak to the building manager.

Your landlord can't get off that easy. Notify your landlord in writing of the cockroach problem and give him/her the choice of correcting the problem themselves or you getting the professional and deducting that cost from the next rent check - keep a copy of the bill and send it to the landlord with the rent check (and of course make a copy).

List the things you've done so far and set a clear date you expect a response from the landlord - or you will take action yourself. Keep everything in writing - don't do this by phone.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:06 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,938,522 times
I moved into an old house that hadn't been lived in for a year. It took me two weeks to clean the place up. It was solid filthy, old, and just plain neglected (I like a challenge). There were cockroaches and anything else that crawls every where you looked. I've now lived there for 8 months

My son and I even named a cockroach Jeff...Jeff would just show up in the kitchen sink perched and every time we thought we sprayed him to Heaven he would show up again (probably different > 2" cockroach). I bombed, sprayed, and put HoyHoy traps all over. I was changing the HoyHoy traps about every 2 to 5 days depending on the location.

Also, I'm a little anal when it comes to cleaning and food...no dumping leftover food, wrappers, etc... anywhere but the kitchen trash. About 2 months out I suddenly realized I hadn't seen a cockroach for some time. Up until now I saw one about 2 months ago...I still maintain the traps but there's never anything in them.

I just moved from an older 32 story condo in Waikiki and they had a regular schedule for the entire building to be sprayed once a month. I never saw 1 bug in that place; zip. Long ago I lived in Jade Circle for awhile and at that time the building was ridden with cockroaches. I was told not to hurt the cockroaches because their friends would come in at night and carry me away (no, I didn't believe them). Do you think that maybe if your neighbors aren't as aggressive with the cockroach elimination that it could be affecting your place? If only one apartment sprays how effective is that if no no one else does?

I have also calked every nook and cranny in the house I rent. Put draft protectors underneath the entry doors and have wire mesh stoppers in all open drains. The draft protectors and wire mesh are mainly for the centipedes. There isn't much I can do about those unless I want to shell out money for a regular spray job on the outside. The centipedes visit at least once a month so I'm getting good at the eliminating them (it's just they seriously creep me out). That's country living.

The idea to talk to the building supervisor is a good one. They may just tell you this is Hawaii and deal with it but who knows. I would write a letter to the landlord as well. You could break the lease that way. Even though they may not have told you about the bugs nonetheless they are there and present a health concern. I saw a case on one of those judge shows that the person was able to break the lease because of a bug problem but the tenants had specifically asked about bug problems prior to signing a lease and moving in and were told there wasn't one...good luck to you. Start taking pictures and keep a journal about how it's affecting you if you're going to go to court.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:59 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,350,345 times
Up until this past year, my favorite was "Hoy Hoy trap a roach". Now I've found a totally fantastic "tablet" to add to the fight against roaches: Harris Roach Tablets. The tablets can be tossed inside the pukas in cabinets for the dishwasher hose, and tossed under the fridge, under the stove, etc (but keep out of reach of pets and children).

Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 PM

12,971 posts, read 24,941,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
U Now I've found a totally fantastic "tablet" to add to the fight against roaches: Harris Roach Tablets
They're good, boric acid in a tablet form. Or you can just get boric acid powder at the supermarket or Home Depot and sprinkle it around. It's cheap, and roaches never develop resistance to it. .

Sounds like they have a nest nearby. It doesn't take much. A pest control guy told me that a 12" square of corrugated cardboard is enough to keep a whole nest active for a year. They eat the glue.

Sprinkle the powder generously around cabinets and baseboards ( but not where pets or children can get into it.) Keep out of your eyes and wash off your skin, because it's a mild irritant. Refresh it periodically.

Good luck.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,730,580 times
Speaking of cardboard, don't store things in cardboard boxes. If you do, invest in good plastic storage boxes with lids, from Home Depot or similar.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 PM

25,232 posts, read 33,150,007 times
That's one of the downsides to living in an apartment or condo building.

No matter how clean you are and how much you do to control roaches, if you have a neighbor anywhere near who lets their roaches go unchallenged, then you will have roaches wandering over to your place. Because they travel through the walls and the openings for plumbing, you can not control every place where they might be breeding.

Combat gel should work. You can't spray or use any other poison when you use the combat gel.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:49 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,350,345 times
A benefit to using the table form of boric acid (Harris) is that the tables are less messy than the powder. For me, it is easier to toss a few tables under the fridge, than it is to try to sprinkle the powder around. Ditto for getting it into pukas around cabinets, hoses, etc. And if you need to "clean up" the boric acid, such as when doing the annual "under the fridge" sweep, the tables are way easier to work with than loose powder. Luckily, they are also cheap.

Again, take caution when using any form of bait, to protect children and pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or