Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 05:27 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,055,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRollRocks View Post
the guy mentioned this website was paranoid....that's my point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 09:44 PM

275 posts, read 416,993 times
so what is the point of this photo??

you can move anywhere you wish to in Hawaii,
but in Connecticut you are not even allowed to voice
your opinion...very oppressive place to live or even visit the
forum of!

Old 06-03-2013, 02:08 PM

23 posts, read 53,408 times
Lots of comments since I last logged in (some very confusing and not related to my actual thread at all)!

I've had some slight, though not what I would consider major, changes since then. My car finally kicked the bucket, and I need to drive daily for my current job, so I had to purchase a new car. That will now be coming with me. It's also an additional monthly expense (plus I had to dip into my savings to make my monthly payments less). I've read insurance is pretty expensive in Hawaii. Currently in Indiana, I pay 125 for full coverage, renter's insurance and a couple other tack-ons. What can I expect to pay there? (No accidents on record, but tend to have a heavy foot and have been caught 4 or 5 times with it).

I also re-newed my renter's agreement, so I figured I'd just stick around and save up more until that runs out next April. IF all things go well, I'll be at about 20k cash, plus whatever my 401k is (which, again, I do NOT want to touch unless I'm about to be homeless).

And to re-iterate, while I have a dog that will eventually live with me, he'll be staying with my ex or mom while waiting out the 120 day period (as this will give me time to find a place and job, if need be, without having to freak and stress out about the dog).

I have noticed the number of jobs being posted online are becoming fewer and fewer lately. Any insight on why that may be?

Mahalo again for all of the suggestions and advice!

Old 06-03-2013, 02:15 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,743,758 times
If you want to know how much your insurance will be in Hawaii call your agent. He/she should be able to tell you exactly what you'll pay. Mine changed little if any from the West Coast.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:05 PM

7 posts, read 9,574 times
Default learning

Hey guys, I am very new to this, so I would really appreciate a quick tutorial, and having learned about not advertising I think I will be able to move past this and continue to be a healthy member of the board. Pls contact me with any specifics as I learn the rules and the ins/outs. Hope you all are well, thank you for your understanding. B

Old 06-10-2013, 04:07 PM

7 posts, read 9,574 times
I lived in for a few years I can understand some of your frustration, hope you are well

Old 06-10-2013, 10:00 PM

51 posts, read 93,999 times
$1,000 a month for rent??? I paid that in 1985. And it wasnt Hawaii Kai......

Old 06-16-2013, 08:11 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,055,335 times
Sun block

Old 06-17-2013, 09:51 AM

189 posts, read 281,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowaloha View Post
I have noticed the number of jobs being posted online are becoming fewer and fewer lately. Any insight on why that may be?!
it depends brother - many specialized medical fields (and even therapy jobs!) actually pay monthly bonuses for people TO work in Hawai'i. A PT friend of mine interviewed for a job at Hilo Medical Center in February that was offering $6,055 a month (which includes this $2000 rural health bonus). She was making about $4000 a month currently in Pennsylvania - since moving to HI for the job, she found a nicer house (larger and more unique) that ended up costing her less, and the differences she pays in foodstuffs/gas is greatly covered by just that monthly Hawai'i bonus.

So part of the answer to your question lies in what field you are looking for, as other people have found great salaries on the island, higher than what they would make on the mainland with only a slight trade-off in cost, plus their perceived benefit of living in HI.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:05 PM

23 posts, read 53,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyDave View Post
it depends brother - many specialized medical fields (and even therapy jobs!) actually pay monthly bonuses for people TO work in Hawai'i. A PT friend of mine interviewed for a job at Hilo Medical Center in February that was offering $6,055 a month (which includes this $2000 rural health bonus). She was making about $4000 a month currently in Pennsylvania - since moving to HI for the job, she found a nicer house (larger and more unique) that ended up costing her less, and the differences she pays in foodstuffs/gas is greatly covered by just that monthly Hawai'i bonus.

So part of the answer to your question lies in what field you are looking for, as other people have found great salaries on the island, higher than what they would make on the mainland with only a slight trade-off in cost, plus their perceived benefit of living in HI.
Generally I just type in "Honolulu, HI" let fly on CareerBuilder and the like. I weed jobs out myself by what I'm qualified for, instead of letting the site do so. I've just noticed that the overall number seem like they've drastically decreased over the last 6 months or so. Not really anything in any particular field, since I'm not prone to one field or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu