Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 11:34 AM

16 posts, read 21,185 times

Advertisements

From everything I can read, Oahu island in minority majority with other Hawaiian islands less being the case. Has anyone found this to be causing any issue or friction? Here on mainland, racism is mostly not overt. I would guesstimate it's probably the same on Oahu most times.

Last edited by QTS2015; 09-07-2015 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 11:50 AM

210 posts, read 249,588 times
When asians move into a neighborhood. Bill n Myrtle in Kaimuki say there goes the 'hood..................hahahaha.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTS2015 View Post
From everything I can read, Oahu island in minority majority with other Hawaiian islands less being the case. Has anyone found this to be causing any issue or friction? Here on mainland, racism is mostly not overt, and most Asians are quiet, aloof, and tend to withdraw into their enclave. I would guesstimate it's probably the same on Oahu most times.
If this post doesnt qualify as Racist nothing can be!

Old 09-07-2015, 04:05 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,320,182 times
I lived on the Big Island many years. It was there, but it was usually in the obvious places. Beach parks, places where people might be drinking, surf spots, bars where as soon as you walked in it got quiet and the stink eye stares started as soon as you crossed the threshold, etc. After a while you figured out where not to go and it got better, but it still could happen anywhere.

I moved to O'ahu thinking it might be about the same, despite the many warnings of my friends. After 3 weeks I hopped on a plane outta there, and if I never see that island again as long as I live it will be too soon. Didn't even bother to get my rental deposit back because I was so happy to get on that plane. Every day I saw big problems w/ racism, and I do mean every day. The poor tourists from outside the US had NO idea what was going on, all they knew was that a lot of people were in their face for absolutely no reason (always 2 or 3 on one in the usual Hawaii style). I hear Maui has similar problems. We plan on moving back to Hilo at some future time, but this sort of thing doesn't bother me. It can actually be worse on the Kona side. We know tons of people in Hilo, and you also just have to be properly prepared. That alone will stop a lot of it.

Last edited by smarino; 09-07-2015 at 04:27 PM..

Old 09-07-2015, 07:03 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,210,834 times
Yes, I know, I was only there a year. HOWEVER I really didn't see overt racism. I got the stinkeye maybe once and that was a cashier female at Tamura's in Wainai. We're as white as it gets but we're also very friendly, polite, outgoing people. I'm sure there were some looks we didn't catch but who cares? We had a great time. We love the people of Hawaii and cannot WAIT to come back for a visit!! Many great friends there!

Old 09-08-2015, 12:48 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,232,683 times
I have not had any issues in over 28 years. Most in Uncle Sams Canoe club. If you go looking for trouble you will find it!
Depends on your attitute toward the locals.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:25 AM

The locals are barbarians who live in grass huts! They grab their wimmin by the hair and drag them whereever they need to go...................deal with it!

Old 09-08-2015, 12:51 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,761,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Every day I saw big problems w/ racism, and I do mean every day. The poor tourists from outside the US had NO idea what was going on, all they knew was that a lot of people were in their face for absolutely no reason (always 2 or 3 on one in the usual Hawaii style).
On Oahu? Hmmmm, I've lived here 7-8 years, worked out here over 15 years, and I've yet to experience ANY racism here, although it is very prevalent on CDF. While things may be happening behind my back I'm not aware of I'm also not seeking it out hanging out in Waianae or Waimanalo Beach Park - much the same way I'd avoid certain areas in every major US city.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,610 times
When I moved here, I was excited and thought that it would be better than the Northeast. I was wrong, but that does not mean it's not going to be perfect for others.

I saw this video after I moved here, I wish I saw it before. These rats are everywhere and they bite, but you will never here the state admit it. I have been to this market before. You have to drive through there to get anywhere in Metro Honolulu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg3W-vVX1kc

Last edited by livinginaloha; 09-08-2015 at 01:34 PM..

Old 09-08-2015, 01:34 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,541,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginaloha View Post
There are a 1,874,810 people on an island of about 50 miles long so congestion is an issue.
IF you're including cannibals, ex-cannibals, wanna-be cannibals, roaches, bedbugs and river rats, (maybe not, Oahu has canals and streams, but no rivers), then I'd say your number is close to being correct, other than that, it kind coincides with most of your other 'observations'.

Have fun on the Mainland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu