Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 05:38 AM

18 posts, read 35,292 times

Advertisements

I have heard of hotel furniture auctions that take place periodically in Honolulu. Does anyone know how to find out about these? Are there just announcements in the newspaper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 08:22 PM

662 posts, read 1,259,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanabel View Post
I have heard of hotel furniture auctions that take place periodically in Honolulu. Does anyone know how to find out about these? Are there just announcements in the newspaper?
Just don't buy a bed from a hotel auction or C/List or used period. I wouldn't but I've been bit by bed bugs in Italy before.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
hanabel, what part of CT? My other half is from Milford, born and raised.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:36 AM

I'm just interested in furniture. We'll probably try to ship our mattresses, as long as we can find a way that's not too prohibitively expensive. I've had bad experiences with bed bugs, also.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
hanabel, what part of CT? My other half is from Milford, born and raised.
We're in Glastonbury which is southeast of Hartford.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:32 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanabel View Post
We have a car to ship, as well as personal belongings and some furniture. What is the best way to move our stuff to Honolulu? Can you buy reasonable furniture in Honolulu inexpensively? Is it worthwhile shipping a 5 year old car or better to buy there? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
+1 on shipping the car, was definitely worth it. Ours was 6 years old when we shipped it, and paid off. Still running great. We put WAY less miles on it here. Shipped with 162K miles, and just rolled over 184K after 2 1/2 years.

We shipped personal belongings in bins on the plane, or in Flate Rate USPS boxes. We got lucky because friends of ours were going on vacation the same day, so they let us send/pay for some bins in their "allotment" for the flight. Sold, gave to local family members, or donated everything else.

There are Ashley Furniture stores on Island and they have nice sales from time to time. You can get a mattress set at Costco or a local dealer. There is a company that makes beds on island, so the prices are much better. We have Best Buy, Wal Mart, Target, etc for other stuff like a TV, etc.

One thing that worked well for us was that I came over a few weeks before my wife and our pets. This gave me time to find a place and have it ready when she and the pets came over.

Best of luck!

Old 05-30-2013, 02:10 PM

Hi. Thanks so much for this information. It's very helpful. We have new mattresses here, so I'm tempted to find a way to get them over with the car. Thanks for the tips on furniture, especially Ashley Furniture. Hannabel

Old 05-30-2013, 02:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
You can't ship a mattress with a car. The car has to come completely empty.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:30 PM

Thanks for sharing. Michelle

Old 05-31-2013, 05:07 AM

13 posts, read 21,991 times
Cheapest way to move to Hawaii? Sell everything in CT, including your car; move to a furnished rental unit you get the lay of the land (we found a great one-bedroom apt. in Waikiki with parking for $1,500 pm), then go from there. Because moving is so common in Hawaii, you will find great deals on gently used furniture should you pick an unfurnished home. Cars are cheaper because Hawaiians consider cars with 40,000 miles old. In CT that would be a 2 or 3-year-old car.

Your Hawaii lifestyle and attitude will be so different from your life in CT. It will seem impractical to try to bring it with you. Start fresh, with no baggage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu