Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 06:51 AM

37 posts, read 175,385 times

Advertisements

Has anyone shipped their car from the mainland to Oahu and recently registered their vehicle? I'm trying to get an estimate of what it cost to transfer the license plates. From what I've read, the cost is based off of the weight and usuage of the vehicle I've tried using the HI DMV website calculator but with no luck. I will be shipping a Chevy truck and Subaru wagon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 01:07 PM

62 posts, read 332,547 times
Hi there,

We shipped two cars from the mainland and re-registered them here. Both our cars are four door sedans and the cost to register was around $125 I think. My husband handled it, so I don't remember the exact amount, but it was not as much as I thought it would be.

One thing to know, you have to get a vehicle inspection (only about $15 and done a most gas stations) before you can re-register. Then you have to go directly to the DMV to do it, pay the fee, show your shipping manifest/paperwork, your inspection certificate, proof of insurance, etc. Also, if I remember correctly you only have 30 days to re-register or you incur a penalty.

Hope some of this helped!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:57 AM

37 posts, read 175,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowermom View Post
Hi there,

We shipped two cars from the mainland and re-registered them here. Both our cars are four door sedans and the cost to register was around $125 I think. My husband handled it, so I don't remember the exact amount, but it was not as much as I thought it would be.

One thing to know, you have to get a vehicle inspection (only about $15 and done a most gas stations) before you can re-register. Then you have to go directly to the DMV to do it, pay the fee, show your shipping manifest/paperwork, your inspection certificate, proof of insurance, etc. Also, if I remember correctly you only have 30 days to re-register or you incur a penalty.

Hope some of this helped!
Flowermom:

Your info does help me. I will be going into negotiations soon with my employer and I need all the ammo I can get to obtain the best relocation package available.

Can I ask what shipping company you used for your vehicles and household goods?

Old 11-07-2007, 12:32 PM

62 posts, read 332,547 times
Hi again,

We were a corporate relocation and my husband's company chose the people to handle our move. It was called Pacific Transfer and they did an excellent job co-ordinating everything. We moved the two cars plus a household of furniture and everything got here safe, sound, on time, etc. Pacific Transfer made all the arrangments regarding what ships everything came over on.

I do recommend that whoever you use make sure they ship your cars in an enclosed container. Some companies will leave them out on deck and they can get rust damage. Matson and Horizon are two of the big shipping companies - but if you work with someone like Pacific Transfer you don't deal with them directly, they handle it for you. Total tab for our move was close to $15,000 - luckily paid for by my husband's company as part of the relocation.

Best of luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu