Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,024 times

Advertisements

[FONT=&quot]We are a military family of 4 (2 kids ages 5 & 3) and trying to decide whether to live on post or off. Where would be the best and safe places to live on Oahu within a reasonable distance/commute to Tripler? How are the public elementary schools? What preschools or day-care do you recommend in the area? What gyms do you recommend for gymnastics for the kids as well as dance studios?

Thank you in advance for your help! Any advice is appreciated! [/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 01:10 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,787,864 times
Hi. I'd recommend you start here by using the search function, specifically searches about education, schools, private and public schools, etc. Once you've digested the abundance of advice, get back to us with more specific questions and we'll be able to better help.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:00 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,190,784 times
Living on base is going to be more convenient to work and everything's so close on the island it takes no time to get anywhere on your time off. Public schools are what they are. The elementary schools seem to be rated higher than high schools.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:38 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,228,567 times
I have to ask where are you going to be stationed Joint Base Pearl Harbor/Hickham?
Hickham AFB is the only base in the Pearl Harbor area close to Trippler with on base Housing. Pearl Harbor Naval base housing is off base in the Housing area, All close to Trippler. If you want to live out in town it is expensive.
PM me if you need any more information i can find out what the VHS/BAS for housing is for you. You could also check on line just goggle VHS/BAS Rates for this area to find out, if you haven't already checked that. I retired out of the Navy 10 Years ago so i am Familure with all the bases in the area.
Good luck on the move,
Scott

Last edited by ScottStielow; 06-28-2013 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: Added information

Old 06-29-2013, 11:20 PM

AHRN is a good resource, too. The landlords are all military friendly.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:15 PM

48 posts, read 75,740 times
Go for on-base housing. If you are assigned to TAMC, chance are that you will be offered housing at Aliamanu Military Reservation (AMR). AMR is a fifteen minute commute to TAMC, most of the houses are single family and new and AMR is very centrally located. IMHO, you will not find a comparable place off-post for what you give up in BHA.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:46 PM

195 posts, read 666,349 times
I'm an E-6 and couldn't find anything within my price range out in town that wasn't a dump or way too far out. I live in Navy housing outside of Pearl harbor and work downtown in the federal building. The commute for me isn't bad at all, the traffic seems to pick up right after my exit though so I wouldn't suggest living any further west than Pearl harbor unless you like sitting in your car. My kids will be starting school at Pearl Harbor Kai and it doesn't seem bad from what I saw on my tour. I like our location more than AMR and would only switch if I could get onto Hickam. I'm using the Naval Station Child Development Center on Pearl Harbor, totally recommend it. They have a dance and gymnastics program through the MWR on the base as well, I'm sure it's good. I do Capoeira out in town and will ask them about the dance programs that are around locally. Try and get your name on the housing wait lists now or do what I did and leave your dependents with relatives until you secure housing otherwise you could be in a hotel for months. Luckily for me I obtained housing pretty quickly. If you can't get housing, Aeia and Pearl City had probably the most affordable housing closest to the bases, but the schools in both areas looked pretty crappy.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:57 PM

HEY! The CDC at Pearl Harbor is one of my buildings! Amy's the best!

Using dump as a description of housing here... well, there are differing degrees of dumpiness, aren't there? Not as bad dump or total dump... Pretty soon there's a shift and the not as bad look great and the totals aren't as bad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: