Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 04:23 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,274,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I know for construction, you don't have to be licensed for any jobs under $1K. Crazy, I know, coming from CT where you have to be licensed to replace your own bathroom faucet. (in theory).
Maybe to hammer a nail you don't need a license (I haven't checked), but all electrical and plumbing work has to be performed by state licensees. It's a major beef on the Big Island where there are a lot of builder/owners and DIYers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 01:03 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,806,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Couldn't you drive to Long Beach CA, then ship the car from there. It's about 2,000 miles from Alabama to Long beach and would take about 3 days. I would think it would be a lot cheaper than $1,000 to drive to Long Beach. The airfare will also be cheaper from the west coast too. But you'll have to spend 3 days driving to save the money.
I agree, shipping from Long Beach is $1100 via Matson and if you want to leave from San Diego, then it's the same price but via Pasha. We've driven both from DC and from Texas and shipped our cars and it turned out to be a great educational and geography tour for us and our, then, little ones.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:07 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,274,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
I agree, shipping from Long Beach is $1100 via Matson and if you want to leave from San Diego, then it's the same price but via Pasha.
Pasha also has a Los Angeles area terminal, and one in Oakland.

Quote:
We've driven both from DC and from Texas and shipped our cars and it turned out to be a great educational and geography tour for us and our, then, little ones.
Yes, I agree... great educational and memories, but tough for a mom to do traveling alone with kids, one of whom is a toddler. And with gas, meals, motels, and miscellaneous probably not a money saver.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Pasha also has a Los Angeles area terminal, and one in Oakland.

Yes, I agree... great educational and memories, but tough for a mom to do traveling alone with kids, one of whom is a toddler. And with gas, meals, motels, and miscellaneous probably not a money saver.
My two year old grandson did a great job on the drive; of course we stopped often, exercised at rest stops and did a lot of McDonalds!!

Old 07-22-2013, 09:23 PM

163 posts, read 314,128 times
Umm yea lol the baby is 8m. Might be a year old for the move. Me by myself, I have always wanted to drive cross country, with my 3 kids and no hubby...think I'd rather shoot myself in the foot! The fast food would be a killer budget breaker! Even the dollar menu for the 3 of us adds up...plus formula and baby food for the baby and all the baby gear. Honestly, I'm dreading so much with the move. That would just be one more thing I'd dread. I can drive 4 hours by myself and have my sister follow me to ship it on over as soon as hubby gets there. I can get by sharing a vehicle w my mom and sister while it gets there so we don't have rental costs while it ships.

I do appreciate the advice though! If I was a few years younger with a kid or 2 less it would be worth it for the experience itself!

Old 07-23-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klein5 View Post
Umm yea lol the baby is 8m. Might be a year old for the move. Me by myself, I have always wanted to drive cross country, with my 3 kids and no hubby...think I'd rather shoot myself in the foot! The fast food would be a killer budget breaker! Even the dollar menu for the 3 of us adds up...plus formula and baby food for the baby and all the baby gear. Honestly, I'm dreading so much with the move. That would just be one more thing I'd dread. I can drive 4 hours by myself and have my sister follow me to ship it on over as soon as hubby gets there. I can get by sharing a vehicle w my mom and sister while it gets there so we don't have rental costs while it ships.

I do appreciate the advice though! If I was a few years younger with a kid or 2 less it would be worth it for the experience itself!
Cross country travel via car isn't for everyone. I guess, I'm a classic car-centric Californian and love driving. We just did a cross country trip (California to Pennsylvania) and I'm in my early 60's. Beautiful Country!!

Old 07-23-2013, 08:11 PM

Before I had the baby I debated on selling the house and buying an rv to travel and see the country with. I'd love to! On a time line and budget with the kids... Not so much lol

Old 07-23-2013, 10:04 PM

32,497 posts, read 47,468,261 times
Some children travel well and some don't.

Babies have lots of gear, too, that needs to be carried in and out of motels.

With more than 1 child, you need an adult driver plus an additional adult to act as referee.

Ship the car.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:30 PM

oregonwoodsmoke- VERY true lol
I couldn't see past taking the baby not to mention the big kids fighting... I'd have to add an RX of nerve pills to the budget too lol.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 PM

Default Update On Electrician License

I got an email back from the board. Basically, hubby has to send in a copy of the coursework he's completed and the Hawaii Community College reviews it to see if it meets their requirements. Then they mail a letter to the board saying that he met the requirements.

Since we have already sent in the application there may be in a delay in it processing. That equals a set back of 2 more months. I am waiting to hear back to make sure but that is what I am expecting. At this point I am just hoping that he has met the requirements. Surely he has but I feel as though we are jumping thru a bunch of hurdles and I'm not sure what to expect! Not to mention once we get the O.K. then we have to set up his test and he has to take and pass it. At $300 dollars a pop I hope he passes the first time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu