Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:02 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
But still face the same issue of expensive cost of living, lower paying wages etc, but by then the damage would be unfixable.
The expensive cost of living is due to limited land, resources, and the inability to support itself without importing everything including our power.

The low wages are side affect of the how expensive it is to do business in Hawaii.

The above doesn't have anything to do with the International Marketplace which will create construction jobs, many high paying, hundreds of retail jobs, and increased tax revenue all of which greatly benefit the island. These are things that matter to residents of the island as opposed to people who don't even live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 05:06 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times
I don't really see anything special about "Hawaii" in the International Market Place. 90% of the stuff sold there is made in China ... Not Hawaii. And when it was built, it was little more than the newest Mall of its time designed in a tourist trap theme to make money for the developers and shop owners.

In that regard it really shares a lot more in common with the development replacing it than may be apparent on the surface.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I don't really see anything special about "Hawaii" in the International Market Place. 90% of the stuff sold there is made in China ... Not Hawaii. And when it was built, it was little more than the newest Mall of its time designed in a tourist trap theme to make money for the developers and shop owners.
Very true. Very few Hawaii goods sold at the International Market Place. A lot of cheap Asian trinkets though.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:00 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The expensive cost of living is due to limited land, resources, and the inability to support itself without importing everything including our power.

The low wages are side affect of the how expensive it is to do business in Hawaii.

The above doesn't have anything to do with the International Marketplace which will create construction jobs, many high paying, hundreds of retail jobs, and increased tax revenue all of which greatly benefit the island. These are things that matter to residents of the island as opposed to people who don't even live here.
On an earlier post you said The new development will certainly boost the local economy and provide more jobs and the above post.

Just to keep it simple which is what most real residents of Hawaii want. 40 years of paving paradise and building skyrises and bringing in big business and Hawai'i is more expensive now then she has ever been in history. Hawai'i has more homeless now then anytime in her young history. She hasnt been more crowded in history then now. While tourism has had the biggest boom in history and with it profits it appears that the non tourist residents are the ones paying for it.

My point being, this ideal of paving paradise, making Hawai'i the mainland isnt working for all the residents of Hawaii. Current stats show this. Then why continue? Instead of more paving or building up maybe a change in thinking is in order?

Old 12-28-2013, 07:19 PM

What makes you think Hawaii is more expensive now than the past. To me it seems far less expensive now than 20 years ago.

Homelessness is up across the board since 2008 in the US.

The US population is growing. Therefore it makes sense Hawaii population is growing although not a great pace compared to many other places.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
What makes you think Hawaii is more expensive now than the past. To me it seems far less expensive now than 20 years ago.

Homelessness is up across the board since 2008 in the US.

The US population is growing. Therefore it makes sense Hawaii population is growing although not a great pace compared to many other places.
I know with 100% conviction that everything from housing and rents to cost of running a business is more expensive now then the 70, 80, 90s in Hawai'i. I know this by the amount of Hawaii residents that are homeless. Esp the rise of resident homeless who have lived in Hawai'i 20+ years tells me things cost more.

Yes homelessness is growing, but im sure that is more of an indicator of things costing more then rise of population? Im sure we had homeless people in Oahu in the 70s, 80s. But to be honest I didn't remember seeing any.

The amazing population growth in Hawai'i hasn't been residents but the huge increase in tourist and shortterm residents.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 12-28-2013 at 08:21 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 08:11 PM

For example:Nearly 50 years ago, at statehood, Hawai'i residents outnumbered tourists by more than 2 to 1. Today, tourists outnumber residents by 6 to 1 and rising.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 12-28-2013 at 08:32 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
For example:Nearly 50 years ago, at statehood, Hawai'i residents outnumbered tourists by more than 2 to 1. Today, tourists outnumber residents by 6 to 1 and rising.
Seriously? 1959?? The year jet service first started to Hawaii. That is your point of reference??

Lol.

Perhaps a monarch would help. Or the flux capacitor. Everything anywhere is more expensive than the 70s, 80s, or 90s last I checked.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Seriously? 1959?? The year jet service first started to Hawaii. That is your point of reference??

Lol.

Perhaps a monarch would help. Or the flux capacitor. Everything anywhere is more expensive than the 70s, 80s, or 90s last I checked.
Lol well at least we agree on something viper lol. If you find a flux capacitor let me know? I show you a Hawai'i even you could love.

What I believe a good point is even back in the 70s,80s etc. Hawaii was still one of the most expensive places to live. The difference was back then you didnt need three jobs to make it. What is the difference between then and now? I believe if you figure out what is different you will findout what the problem is. Aloha

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 12-28-2013 at 11:35 PM..

Old 12-29-2013, 01:56 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPilot View Post
Oh, by all means, let's get rid of the Hawai'i thing and put in the New York thing, and see how many tourists want to shop at the same store they don't shop in at home.

After all, nothing says "Polynesia" like Saks Fifth Avenue!
According to their Chief Marketing Officer, Denise Incandela, Sak's average customer is: "predominantly female, about 45 years old, fairly affluent, and with an average household income of $250,000."

The CMO.com Interview: Denise Incandela, CMO Of Saks Fifth Avenue

That means they don't care about average residents, or average tourists either. They cater to a luxury market, and Honolulu draws a lot of Asian tourists who are looking for luxury goods. Voila.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu