Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 10:38 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
See what happens when I moved out of the area Auwe! Yeah Kuhio street couldn't have been all that bad if a 7 year old kid could be walking down it at night heading home from the I.M.P, to Kapahulu st where he lived at the time.
A seven year old kid, walking down Kuhio at night by himself, from the International Market Place to Kapahulu...
Where was your parents? Maybe things got dramatically worse between 1977 to the mid 80's and 90's, but that stills seems crazy to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 11:27 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
A seven year old kid, walking down Kuhio at night by himself, from the International Market Place to Kapahulu...
Where was your parents? Maybe things got dramatically worse between 1977 to the mid 80's and 90's, but that stills seems crazy to me.
The 70s - 80s in Hawai'i were different times Mcfrosty , it was safe for keiki to run around without adult supervision in Oahu. Parents didn't have to worry about perverts etc. Don't get me wrong, I could runaround but that doesn't mean I could be too much of a trouble maker lol. The coconut information line still worked great back then. My mother worked nights so that meant I took care of myself when I turned about 7. Further, maybe one of these days I will tell you what a independent, fearless kid in Hawai'i can do, I have some real pupule talkstories fo you lol.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:32 AM

69 posts, read 314,001 times
So I have a question guys. My neighbors either own a kiosk, or have their own mom and pop store in the INternational Market Place. They spent the entire New Year's eve gone from their house, I believe, because they had to pack up and leave the premise before 8PM. They usually sell cloth items, decorations, to Japanese tourists.
Saw their son's friend's truck loaded with chairs and other furnitures. I ask the son where his parents are going to open shop, and he said they found a building in the Kapahulu area.....for now.

So where do the other business people who once did business in IMP, go? Is there another spot in Waikiki where they're sent to? Or did they all have to find another place outside of Waikiki to relocate to?

Old 01-02-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousKapono80 View Post
So I have a question guys. My neighbors either own a kiosk, or have their own mom and pop store in the INternational Market Place. They spent the entire New Year's eve gone from their house, I believe, because they had to pack up and leave the premise before 8PM. They usually sell cloth items, decorations, to Japanese tourists.
Saw their son's friend's truck loaded with chairs and other furnitures. I ask the son where his parents are going to open shop, and he said they found a building in the Kapahulu area.....for now.

So where do the other business people who once did business in IMP, go? Is there another spot in Waikiki where they're sent to? Or did they all have to find another place outside of Waikiki to relocate to?
Good question, I heard some vendors will eventually reopen in the Ala Wai boat harbor redevelopment. Idk, seems like kinda shabby treatment to me. Some of the tenents were at the I.M.P for 40+ years.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:57 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
What was so shabby? They've known for years this was coming and knew it was firm since the past summer. It isn't like they didn't get any notice.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:32 PM

69 posts, read 314,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Good question, I heard some vendors will eventually reopen in the Ala Wai boat harbor redevelopment. Idk, seems like kinda shabby treatment to me. Some of the tenents were at the I.M.P for 40+ years.
But when will this Ala Wai re-development open up?

I am curious because a high school friend of mine has parents who sold jewelry from a kiosk at the IMP for the last 25 years. I haven't been in touch with him, but curious as to what will happen to these businesses who have not found a place to relocate to.

My neighbors were lucky enough to find a unit in the Kapahulu area to move to for the time being that the new IMP building is being built. But for other business owners who operated in the IMP,.....I don't know if they will be out of job/work from now until who knows when the new IMP building will be open to moving back in.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousKapono80 View Post
But when will this Ala Wai re-development open up?

I am curious because a high school friend of mine has parents who sold jewelry from a kiosk at the IMP for the last 25 years. I haven't been in touch with him, but curious as to what will happen to these businesses who have not found a place to relocate to.

My neighbors were lucky enough to find a unit in the Kapahulu area to move to for the time being that the new IMP building is being built. But for other business owners who operated in the IMP,.....I don't know if they will be out of job/work from now until who knows when the new IMP building will be open to moving back in.
Idk, it sounds like the whole area will be for higher end retal and business when its remodeled, higher end then the old I.M.P residents. Obviously for the I.M.P to have made it for so long as it did there was a need. Its a shame they couldn't just relocate the marketplace? I guess the amount of money determines what makes right.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 833 times
Default Retail Option

I am not sure which one I would pick because I don't shop at either. I checked out the marketplace once, but they were items that weren't necessarily from Hawaii. It kinda was misleading. On the other hand, Saks 5th Avenue is a chain and not from Hawaii either. This is a tough call.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:34 PM

170 posts, read 292,171 times
When I use to be a tourist and stayed at Waikiki there was a guy who had a clothing stand. Every year we would stop by there and say hi and he would give us a good discount on clothing. He remembered me and we started calling each other by first name. He was a good guy and hope he set up shop somewhere else like at the swap meet.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:03 AM

293 posts, read 361,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Don Ho's at Aloha Tower has been closed for years. The only restaurants left at Aloha Tower are Hooters and Gordon Biersh.
Thanks Viper. I was afraid of this, I had a lot of memories about IMP and Don Ho's. I guess time changes after forty years. Not all for the good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu