Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 11:52 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,255,040 times

Advertisements

Jeff and I would be happy for him to visit with us when he heads this way. As a matter of fact, there's a lady who has 2 Iroquois Point Elementary T-shirts for $10 and I thought about you.

Lower enlisted housing we call "the projects". Jeff used to live in those when we were in the Marine Corps at El Toro in CA. The townhomes are really just fine. The firing range is right across the fence off the property from them so on the first weekend of the month you'll hear them shooting. Also, the F22 Raptors are usually noisy the first weekend of the month. This is Navy Property after all and Hickam AFB and Pearl Harbor are a stone's throw across the harbor. (not to mention Honolulu International Airport which shares runways with the AFB)

If you look at the pictures on the site you can see Honolulu from the beach quite clearly. At night it's really something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 08:39 AM

27 posts, read 48,707 times
Awesome thanks for being so kind. I finally just got what you said that there were sever FB boards. I had just liked the main one was wasn't seeing all the rest. Good to know that will help a lot.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:52 PM

312 posts, read 1,637,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherlf View Post
Hi everyone!
I have been reading a ton of posts on here the past few weeks. I've enjoyed Klein5's that has answered a lot of my questions. We are a family of 4 moving to Oahu in December. We have a 3rd grader and a 6th grader. I guess I just need reassurance...
Okay here are my questions. We are looking at the Waterfront at Ewa Beach. The pics on the website look amazing but I have been told by my friend that those pictures are deceiving. Anyone live in Ewa? I know it is not the most pretty part of the island right? But as far as what you can get for rent it seems decent. Plus my husband will be working in Waipahu so I believe that will only be about 20 minute drive?
Also we have dogs and this seems to be a huge issue- I have already started the whole process and they will join us in March hopefully. The waterfront looked great for dogs and also the townhomes have a tiny fenced in yard. We live on an acre now so I know this will be an adjustment for all!
Anyone have experience with Iroquois Point Elementary? I see that elementary is in the subdivision. I am terrified about what I hear about the school system but am a really involved parent that subs in my kids school now so I feel like we will just take it day by day...
Softball- is there little league for girls or is it all ASA. My daughter has played both and I couldn't' really find much googling besides some teams that traveled to the mainland.

That'll start my questions for now. Thanks in advance for reading I have just been obsessing over this move. About as excited as I am terrified!
If you husband will be working in Waipahu, Ewa is a decent choice to house-hunt. Honestly I would stay away from Waterfront houses, I had a friend who lived there (she loved it), but the yards are not fenced in, it is noisy and it is far from "main" Ewa area.

IMO - you #1 priority should be school district. Holomua Elementary in Ewa is a good school, I would focus on houses in that district. You should be able to find one and those houses (Gentry homes) have private fenced years for your dog(s). If you are renting it may be a challenge finding a rental that allows dogs, but it's not impossible.

BTW - I just noticed Iroquois Pt Elementary is rated close to Holomua, so I guess it's a decent school too. Personally I don't care for Waterfront.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2013, 03:23 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,816,473 times
Quote:
Hi everyone!
I have been reading a ton of posts on here the past few weeks. I've enjoyed Klein5's that has answered a lot of my questions. We are a family of 4 moving to Oahu in December. We have a 3rd grader and a 6th grader. I guess I just need reassurance. I have talked with so many people and have heard the highs and lows about island life. My main concern is the kids if it were just me and the hubs I would be there in a heart beat. We are moving for a job and my husband will be moving over there in 2 weeks, staying with our friends then the kids and I will make the move in Dec. Our friends kids are grown so they have been helpful in many ways but not with the schools.
Okay here are my questions. We are looking at the Waterfront at Ewa Beach. The pics on the website look amazing but I have been told by my friend that those pictures are deceiving. Anyone live in Ewa? I know it is not the most pretty part of the island right? But as far as what you can get for rent it seems decent. Plus my husband will be working in Waipahu so I believe that will only be about 20 minute drive?
Also we have dogs and this seems to be a huge issue- I have already started the whole process and they will join us in March hopefully. The waterfront looked great for dogs and also the townhomes have a tiny fenced in yard. We live on an acre now so I know this will be an adjustment for all!
Anyone have experience with Iroquois Point Elementary? I see that elementary is in the subdivision. I am terrified about what I hear about the school system but am a really involved parent that subs in my kids school now so I feel like we will just take it day by day...
Softball- is there little league for girls or is it all ASA. My daughter has played both and I couldn't' really find much googling besides some teams that traveled to the mainland.

That'll start my questions for now. Thanks in advance for reading I have just been obsessing over this move. About as excited as I am terrified!
Heatherlf,
I'll chime in here since I have lived in Ewa Beach in a development called Ocean Pointe/Ka Makana. It is newer with the oldest homes having been built around 2003. They are very well built and newer homes are being built as we speak. The community has a pre-school, an elementary school and a middle school.

I think it's easier to get to Ft. Weaver Road, which will be your primary travel point to Waipahu, from Ocean Pointe than from the Waterfront at Pu'uloa. The homes at the Waterfront were originally Navy Enlisted and some Officer Housing. It's a little out of the way, because of the way the road is as it circumvents some of the military restricted areas. It does have more single storied homes than Ocean Pointe, as the majority of those homes are two-stories. I also think their townhomes may have more square footage than the townhomes in Ocean Pointe (1100 -1400 sq ft). Getting to shopping on Ft. Weaver is the same issue.

I would also look at the Gentry developments, which are on either side of Ft Weaver (Ocean Pointe is only on the Western side of Ft. Weaver). I enjoyed the area and found the neighborly feel at Ocean Pointe quite nice, especially since having children aides in getting to know your neighbors. And at the risk of sounding a little snooty, most of the Ocean Pointe and Ewa by Gentry developments might attract and match your "six figure" taste.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:09 PM

Great info from you two MovingAloha and MsHell I guess I was under the impression that the waterfront was the only thing in that area didn't know there would be many other options.
Thats funny you say that about six figure taste cause I keep reading a family of 4 has to make 6 figures in Hawaii to live and its definitely on the low end of the 6 figures ha. I compared Idaho to Hawaii and it looked like what he makes now is going to be compared to there in 6 figures and we aren't rich by any means.
We definitely will be renting cause I don't think there is anyway we could afford to buy a home there but again its hard to believe everything I read and see from this far away. So yea it seemed like the waterfront is the most dog friendly that i have seen. ??
I looked up schools on greatschools.org I believe it was and was happy to see Iroquois point was rated with a B+ not many school even have A's. My biggest fear is junior high or middle school next year for my oldest.
My husband will be there in 4 days so get ready for lots more questions I'm sure!!

Old 10-16-2013, 12:52 AM

MovingAloha (*waves to MA*) has some great points. Didn't know there was a place w/intermediate in the community. Definitely check it out!! I'd be worried about that too. btw, my baby (20yrs old) is coming to visit Saturday!! YAY!!

Old 10-16-2013, 05:47 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,816,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
MovingAloha (*waves to MA*) has some great points. Didn't know there was a place w/intermediate in the community. Definitely check it out!! I'd be worried about that too. btw, my baby (20yrs old) is coming to visit Saturday!! YAY!!

We looked at the single storied homes at Watetfront and it offered nice amenities and real close proximity to the beach. I remember visiting friends there back in the 80s when it was purely military housing.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:10 PM

There's a bit of an uproar over rising rent prices here. You might get a better deal elsewhere unless they let you in here for the lower price. I think $150 - $200 rent increase is a bit much for a renewed lease.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:00 PM

Yikes! I had a feeling that was going to happen. We had some friends moved out last month and there was something in fine print about the rent going up the next month.
Hunterseat do you pay $50 per dog in rent also? I believe that is what they told me so $100 for 2 dogs extra a month

Old 10-16-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Yikes! I had a feeling that was going to happen. We had some friends moved out last month and there was something in fine print about the rent going up the next month.
Hunterseat do you pay $50 per dog in rent also? I believe that is what they told me so $100 for 2 dogs extra a month
Yes ma'am! So the rate hike is going to be a deal breaker for us. We have two more months approx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu