Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 02:16 AM

69 posts, read 314,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
He didn't have the security deposit. That was a clue that you ignored.
No. He told me in advance that he will give me the security deposit a week later. Oh well...lesson learned. Plus an attorney I spoke to said to accept only cashier's check for security deposits.

Quote:
He talked about shooting lots of guns. That was a clue that you ignored.
He said he's a gun instructor at a facility in downtown. Nevertheless....my mother's suspicion of this guy was spot on.

Quote:
Not running a criminal background check until after they moved in was a mistake.
The online screening service I use only give credit background and previous addresses for the result. What's funny is that there is nothing that showed up on the eviction portion of the report.

The criminal background / sex offender check takes 3-4 business days for this company to run. Oh well....should have waited it out for this result to show up.

I never realized that I have to resort to using Hoohiki to find out about this punk tenant and his girlfriend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
IF it is indeed the same person - and you need to be very careful about accusing him at this point -
Not accusing him. It IS the guy listed several times, being sued several times be seven different landlords and rental companies.

I also got one of this tenant's previous landlord's name from Hoohiki, and contact information from PeopleFinders, and called him yesterday. He told me straight out that this guy and his girlfriend are "pilau" people. He also recommended that I get an attorney and get both of them out of my parents' house ASAP.

Quote:
it seems odd that he is working at a school as a security guard after having several TRO's against him? Also, anyone with a TRO in force, in Hawaii, MUST turn in all of their guns to the police for "safekeeping" until the TRO is lifted.
The TRO's that were filed against him by his three ex-wives, were done in the mid 80's and late 90's. So likely, the TRO's expired by now. Hence he is able to work as a gun range employe, teaching people how to shoot pistols, etc. Nevertheless, I don't know if this guy is packing with guns, so my parents and I don't even want to go over to the property to confront him and his GF.

Quote:
IF he indeed did lie about name, previous addresses, etc. on his rental application with you, most likely that application can be considered null and void as it is fraudulent.

Contact an attorney, immediately.
His name is indeed valid, as I have a copy of his Hawaii driver's license with his picture and his first and last name. The address on the HI driver's license, is a downtown Bishop Street address. Must be his workplace address that he listed on his HI driver's license.

My friend told me that next time, I should ask prospective tenants for a copy of his or her utility bills. The most recent utility bills with the mailing address can verify his current address prior to moving in.

And like you've said, the attorneys I have spoken to yesterday, said that the contract is void, as the guy lied about his previous address, listing a fake Kalihi address, and not listing his prior rental address, fearing that I will call his previous landlord.

After this punk tenant and his GF moves out, I pray soon, I am planning on posting a Rip Off Report blog about this guy, to warn other landlords in Hawaii about giving him and his GF the keys to their unit.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Could be nothing. Maybe he lived with a different guy whose name was on the lease. But the key thing is, did you check his ID, so you know who you are dealing with?
Yes, I have a copy of his Hawaii driver's license in his file that I've created.

It's just that on the tenant screening report, the names are one individual with a Filipino name, and locations in the Waipahu, Ewa Beach and Waipio areas.

He also has a Class C Theft felony charge on his criminal record, and I am wondering if that criminal charge stems from him using somebody else's social security number? I know it's a crime to mis-use somebody else's SSN.

I don't know if the police can verify whether the SSN this guy provided matches his name.

Quote:
Did you contact a lawyer yet?
Indeed I did. A lot of the attorneys I spoke to said that I cannot hire them yet, as he's already paid his pro-rated October rent. What I can ding him for, is the unpaid security deposit. I have sent him an email yesterday, demanding that he pay be by 10/15 by 22:00, in the form of direct deposit. So far, no response from this guy.

If he doesn't pay me the security deposit, then the attorney can help me.

This is also an attorney who is currently suing this guy and his GF, for not paying rent to another landlord.

So my parents and I are looking to retain him, since he's already made a battle plan against this punk tenant, for another landlord and his wife, currently suing him for damanges and unpaid rent.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:58 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousKapono80 View Post
Getting back to the online background check, criminal case section of the report, there was one hit of a criminal case against the guy - a class C felony of theft.
Next, I look at the other cases, and they are linked to the Felony Theft Class C case that showed up on my internet background check. I don't know what kind of conviction this guy got.
His second job is an instructor at a gun-shooting school on Oahu.....so he's a type of guy you might not want to f--k around with. He also has prior army reserve training and bragged to me about shooting many kinds of guns.
This has been back of my mind... IIRC, if he has a felony conviction, he is not allowed to buy, own, or possess guns, so it's weird that he would be a shooting instructor. If you have to have any contact with the police over this matter, be sure to tell them all of what you know.

Also, if he contacts you about the security deposit, don't go into the whole story. The fact that he lied about his previous address is all the reason you need to be hard nosed about this.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:47 AM

10 posts, read 22,821 times
i feel for you. this will be a hard lesson to learn, that i had to learn myself. there are tenants out there that will work the system and simply not pay rent after they get their despicable feet in the door. to these roaches they are saving thousands of dollars a year at your expense. good luck, i hope it works out quicker than my tenant fiasco 3 years ago.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:57 AM

152 posts, read 372,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by more2come71 View Post
i feel for you. this will be a hard lesson to learn, that i had to learn myself. there are tenants out there that will work the system and simply not pay rent after they get their despicable feet in the door. to these roaches they are saving thousands of dollars a year at your expense. good luck, i hope it works out quicker than my tenant fiasco 3 years ago.

There are informative but shocking stories about tenants . Just a quick thought that perhaps can make landlord wine from vinegar, and ask producers at HGTV ( disclaimer:I have zero connection with them) if they might produce/ "air" similar and other tenant "story" problems as a public educational tool , and, interest. If they have same already??? submit yours too.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:22 AM

181 posts, read 274,121 times
Two words: "Nuuanu Pali."

XD

Old 10-16-2013, 03:32 AM

Quote:
This has been back of my mind... IIRC, if he has a felony conviction, he is not allowed to buy, own, or possess guns, so it's weird that he would be a shooting instructor. If you have to have any contact with the police over this matter, be sure to tell them all of what you know.

Also, if he contacts you about the security deposit, don't go into the whole story. The fact that he lied about his previous address is all the reason you need to be hard nosed about this.
OpenD,

I don't know if the criminal record indicates that he was "convicted" of the Class C felony of theft. I even looked up the case on Hoohiki's judiciary server, and all it listed was the Class C theft felony charges. But does not indicate any convictions.

However, I have paid a visit to the S. Beretania St. HPD headquarters and talked to the police officer outside. I told him that the tenant might have used somebody else's social security number, because the credit report I got back from the company indicates that there has been no eviction on his record, and even lists somebody else's name for previous address/resident locations. I also told him what you've told me, about the felony theft case, and guess what? Cop told me "oh, this sounds like a civil matter. Go and hire an attorney to evict him." Unfortunately with my experience with HPD, they make up all kinds of excuses to avoid investigating certain situations.

This punk tenant did not pay me the security deposit by the deadline. My folks and I are going straight to the attorney's office first thing in the morning. Called the attorney up, and since he's representing a landlord couple whom both evicted this same deadbeat tenant, prior to him moving into my parent's house, the attorney has told me he will do his very best to boot this tenant's okole from my parent's house.

The problem with this tenant that the attorney told me, is that this tenant has a habit of not answering the door when the sheriff shows up to serve him the paperwork/complaint. He tried pulling this trick for his former landlord when they filed suit against him with this same attorney.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by more2come71 View Post
I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience with a prior deadbeat tenant, more2come.

It's unfortunate that these deadbeat tenants reside in our society. They are very good at lying and catching us sucker. I've learned my lesson well.

My family will be retaining an attorney who has also represented another landlord who evicted this same POS tenant two months ago. So he's familiar with this guy and his wife (tenant claimed that she's his girlfriend.....what a liar), the tricks that he might pull, and how quick he can estimate to get this creep out of my parent's rental house.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:17 AM

Update: The deadbeat tenant was officially evicted in mid-November. However, he still had TONS and TONS of his belongings left in the house. Not to mention he chained off the front gate, so I had to buy a lock-cutter to cut the chain, and he even changed BOTH door locks!

Since he wasn't home, my folks and I had to call a moving company, and we ended up spending nearly $4000.00 to move all his crap and store them at a facility.

Damn attorney said that we cannot collect a single penny, since the deadbeat tenant is currently having wage garnishment by three previous landlords....WTF?!

Deadbeat tenant called and left a taunting harassing voicemail last week, accusing me breaking some of his items, and making false claims that some of his items are missing. The court processor was there at the time, and he made an inventory list of what was packaged.

We'll see what proceeds from here on out. Good to have to scum out of my parents house. But what sucks is that we spent a crapload of money to move his junk/belongings out of the house, because he left it there after the eviction note was posted on the front door, and he's now making accusations that some of his items are missing or broken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu