Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 04:08 AM

941 posts, read 1,966,022 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure why you released the belongings in storage (that you paid for) to the deadbeat tenant. I thought you could hang onto that as unclaimed property and sell it off. Of course, you have to give him the money, but first you deduct all that he owes you, including moving and storage. Though 4K seems excessive. Then again, I am not a lawyer.

It's sad to say, but often the naive landlord who just wanted some income from a property is the one who gets burned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 07:23 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
Might be worthwhile, and potentially even less expensive, to simply hire a property manager when you are ready to re-rent the place. A good management company would have identified this guy upfront and never rented to him. In fact, often guys like this will target properties that are being rented by owners because they know owners are more likely not to run full background and credit checks. So their chance of getting the unit is better.

Just something to consider next time.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:15 PM

69 posts, read 313,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
I'm not sure why you released the belongings in storage (that you paid for) to the deadbeat tenant. I thought you could hang onto that as unclaimed property and sell it off. Of course, you have to give him the money, but first you deduct all that he owes you, including moving and storage. Though 4K seems excessive. Then again, I am not a lawyer.

It's sad to say, but often the naive landlord who just wanted some income from a property is the one who gets burned.
Nope, unfortunately, the bozo attorney my folks hired said its best to give deadbeat tenant the keys. Deadbeat tenant also kept calling me, threatening to sue because he was being deprived of some of his clothing and basic needs, by keeping his belongings in a storage area. Basically we got burned, by having to pay a crapload of money to the movers, and also for storage. Hope some mega karma/Bachi happens to this guy. According to his past history, he's divorced three different wives, and his son looks mentally challenged, because of the way his dad lives, moving from house to house by not paying rent and living this kind of life.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:16 PM

69 posts, read 313,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Might be worthwhile, and potentially even less expensive, to simply hire a property manager when you are ready to re-rent the place. A good management company would have identified this guy upfront and never rented to him. In fact, often guys like this will target properties that are being rented by owners because they know owners are more likely not to run full background and credit checks. So their chance of getting the unit is better.

Just something to consider next time.
I do recommend that, as I am in school and working, and hate it when I have to find potential tenants for my parents' house. So busy. I get jack for doing this work. My mom basically wants to "save money" by not hiring a manager, because they usually charge $200-$400 a month. Can't wait to grad, work, and leave home for good ........ this will definitely force my mom to hire a property manager.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:29 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I can't recommend a management company enough, and I've done it both ways.

At least she can write-off the fees from the management company.

At the very lease perform due diligence when renting, do a background and credit check. This seems like he should have been a huge red flag with a little checking.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu