Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,891,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Maui County is far lower... 0.25% with a $250k(IIRC) exemption
You are correct - I read the wrong line in the table. I was looking at the residential rate versus the homeowner rate. $2.87 per $1,000 assessed value and a $200K exemption for Maui.

In our $4,000,000 house example - the Oahu resident would pay $13,720 versus $11,422 in Maui - enough savings for a decent party in the spacious home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 12:09 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You are correct - I read the wrong line in the table. I was looking at the residential rate versus the homeowner rate. $2.87 per $1,000 assessed value and a $200K exemption for Maui.

In our $4,000,000 house example - the Oahu resident would pay $13,720 versus $11,422 in Maui - enough savings for a decent party in the spacious home.
The big differences are for normal priced houses.

A $500k house would be taxed $861 on Maui, but $1470 on Oahu. But the same house is probably worth $1 mil on Oahu right? But still not that high compared to Texas with its 3% property taxes

Old 12-27-2013, 12:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,891,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
But the same house is probably worth $1 mil on Oahu right?
Not very likely - but it all depends on location and the house. After looking at some listings - I'd say a $500K place in Kihei would cost about that around Kapolei (west side) - and maybe $700K on the east side. That same family would expect to earn more money on Oahu than Maui - and pay less for day to day items like groceries, gas, electric, etc - so it balances out.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:57 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,870,932 times
I've only received a notice for one property. It's a 2/2 condo in Waikiki and it's up only 7.6%. Hopefully that will hold true for the Diamond Head condos. Assessment seems just slightly under a recent sale. Still wish there were a Prop 13 type protection for OWNER OCCUPIED properties.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:48 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times
Hey! Why is our tax rate so high? You guys get a lot more "stuff" with your tax dollars! We don't even get sidewalks!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:17 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,505,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
...The big question in my mind is: How will the state spend all the new tax dollars? With these sort of increases, on top of the increases in tourism tax revenue the past 2 years (GET & Hotel Tax) you'd think all budgets should be running surpluses.

I suspect most will go to increases in salaries & benefits rather than improvements in infrastructure, but I'd like to see some infrastructure improvements and it would be nice to see some new, updated & modern schools built to replace many of the existing schools.
BINGO! The state has a huge surplus from 2013 and I guarantee you that the liberal democrats in Hawaii won't be dropping taxes as a result. SPEND, SPEND, SPEND, to those union government employees.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:33 AM

431 posts, read 939,548 times
Ours went up by about 13%. If they put it towards education, fine---no complaints.
But they won't. Public education will continue to suck here. As far as I'm concerned, a community's concern with public education is a very telling indication regarding its evolvement as a society. The investment in children, education, etc, is an investment in the future.
Hawaii is disgusting, in that respect. Rotten to the core. We love our keiki, yada yada, yeah sure.
As long as the "haves" remain complacent, satisfied that they can send their kids to superior private schools, nothing will change.
And with all the Polynesians, Micronesians,and all those on the lower socio-economic levels consistently being shuttled to inferior educational systems, resentment will fester and result in a very nasty environment for all involved.
JMHO, of course. YMMV.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:06 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,748,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
Ours went up by about 13%. If they put it towards education, fine---no complaints.
But they won't. Public education will continue to suck here. As far as I'm concerned, a community's concern with public education is a very telling indication regarding its evolvement as a society. The investment in children, education, etc, is an investment in the future.
Hawaii is disgusting, in that respect. Rotten to the core. We love our keiki, yada yada, yeah sure.
As long as the "haves" remain complacent, satisfied that they can send their kids to superior private schools, nothing will change.
And with all the Polynesians, Micronesians,and all those on the lower socio-economic levels consistently being shuttled to inferior educational systems, resentment will fester and result in a very nasty environment for all involved.
JMHO, of course. YMMV.
Very well said PaliPatty Mahalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: