Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 11:33 PM

31 posts, read 65,558 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about relocating to Hawaii from the mainland on January 27th.

I graduated from the University of Iowa in 2012 with a degree in International Studies. After graduation I got a job with the Japanese government teaching English in a Japanese junior high school, which I did from July 2012 until September 2013. Hated the job though, so I quit and moved back in with my parents in Iowa. The thing about Iowa though is that I royally hate living here. It's an incredibly depressing place. Employers don't seem to even consider people from out of state for entry-level jobs anyway.

Due to this...i've decided to take the plunge and up and move to Oahu. The reason why is that I had read online that the job market is stronger than most parts of the country. I have around $9,500 saved up to last me until I get a job. I'm not particularly picky about jobs. Ideally though, i'd love one with a non-profit organization. I've been doing volunteer work at my local Junior Achievement office since November btw.

Got some questions though....

1. What would you recommend as the best way of staying in Hawaii until I can get a job (and the ability to get a year long lease)? Hostels sound sketchy to me, would subleasing an apartment be a good idea? Are there month-to-month leases available in the metro area, or do they not really exist?

2. Is it true that the economy in Hawaii is as good as people say? Which parts in particular are experiencing the most job growth?

3. Where do you personally think are the best places to find jobs in Hawaii? Local newspapers, or Linkedin, or somewhere else?

4. Is it simply a stupid idea to do this? Do people actually do this and successfully get jobs?

5. Any tips or advice you can give would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 11:39 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,725,682 times
#4.

In all seriousness I'll be starting a thread on some of the facts of the Hawaii net migration issues that continue on 1/2.

Last edited by whtviper1; 01-01-2014 at 11:59 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 11:05 PM

181 posts, read 271,590 times
I suggest that you travel light. Go for an extended visit (2 - 3 months), during which time you decide whether you belong there and try to find a job that can support you.

If you get down to $2500, give up the idea for a while and get back to the mainland

Old 01-07-2014, 12:12 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,227,798 times
#3. If you get involved in the Travel Industry that's the number one on the list. If you are Qualified? You quoted you Taught English in a Japanese school. Do you speak Japanese? That is a way into the Travel Industry that is in big demand!
Check all on your list for jobs . Also this one Hawaii Jobs & Employment | HawaiiJobsOnDemand.com

I would as a back up, save money for a plane ticket and a trip back to the Mainland in case thing do nor work out here on Oahu. It can get rough at times looking for work!
Best of luck in your search.
Scott

Old 01-07-2014, 12:51 AM

11,047 posts, read 23,857,204 times
It might be best to share an apartment with someone for awhile first. Speaking Japanese will most likely get you a job. However, it isn't likely to be a job that will support you in an apartment all by yourself. At least, not at the beginning. A room in a house, sharing an apartment, some sort of shared housing is probably what will be affordable at the beginning.

Don't bring much initially, you'll probably not have much space.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:24 PM

6 posts, read 9,773 times
Default don't do it

Hawaii is a financial trap.Why do you think more Hawaiians live off island if its so great.Corrupt,low wages. Unless you're rich or own a home there don't even think about it. Save money and visit instead.And if you are white don't bother. Hawaiians think the white man is the enemy, but their real enemy is the Phillipine workers who will do anything for less.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:19 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,227,798 times
Troll alert!!

Old 08-17-2014, 03:42 AM

3 posts, read 4,066 times
The key to it is that you have to have family, relatives or close friends to help you stay until you find a good job that could pay rent. It's every steps that needs focus on.
You need to make at least $2k month to get your rent place. Check out craigslist for rents.
Transportation using thebus is about $60 adult. Check out thebus.org
For food you should shop around and monitor which store sells what you want at low price. Midweek has ads that come every Tuesday and sales starts the next day.
Alot of people likes to head out to the beach and do all kind of activities. Everyday!
Note that alot of things are all cramp up in Honolulu.
Many tourist and college students.
Many constructions that never ends.

Good Luck!

Old 08-17-2014, 07:00 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,186,761 times
Look at the OP's "recent posts". They intended to move to lots of places with no job. Looks like they lit in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: