Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 03:29 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times

Advertisements

If you wanna get saved, it's best to do it yourself. That's the only way to get it done right. JIMHO. If a dream of Hawaii helps you do that, then dream away. To get to better places, you have to know they exist. Then chart a path to get there, then start one step on that path. Then another step. You may not ever reach the goal but the journey towards it will probably be better than being stuck in a bad place. Asking for help can be a step on the path, asking someone else to save you may or may not be part of the path. It's different for each person.

Frequently, though, when folks act on their dream of Hawaii, they end up in a worse place because the dream doesn't match the reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 08:59 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
It can happen goodlife! It might not be a man that you need. It may be there's a man out there in the holding pattern, waiting for you to start putting the pieces together, then you'll meet him and he will help you finish the puzzle!

Life is a gift and it's not always easy but we have the tools if we can just figure out the combination to the toolbox!
I like your use of words.

Last edited by goodlife36; 01-09-2014 at 09:13 PM..

Old 01-10-2014, 11:08 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaihopeful2014 View Post
how about this part viper?

"at my lowest point, when i had nothing, i still had the dream of hawaii."

that's a powerful and poignant reflection, and i appreciated it.
+1

Old 01-10-2014, 11:56 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaihopeful2014 View Post
How about this part Viper?

"At my lowest point, when I had nothing, I still had the dream of Hawaii."

That's a powerful and poignant reflection, and I appreciated it.
The op came back and said it wasn't meant to be a beautiful story - see post #6, I figured out what he meant, more tragic than beautiful.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:00 PM

749 posts, read 851,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If you wanna get saved, it's best to do it yourself. That's the only way to get it done right. JIMHO. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The op came back and said it wasn't meant to be a beautiful story - see post #6, I figured out what he meant, more tragic than beautiful.
Yup

Old 01-11-2014, 01:23 AM

32 posts, read 55,029 times
Whatever. I took from it what I took from it. Please don't tell me how I should feel or be impressed by something. Thanks!

Old 01-11-2014, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 10,305 times
Desert Skies,

What a wonderful story of resilience. I don't see an ounce of tragedy in this story. It is full-on redemption from your lowest point of contemplating the most selfish act any person can commit, taking their own life. When you are depressed you definitely see life through a shrouded veil of despair, hopelessness and worthlessness. Life can be a real B sometimes. I am so glad you crawled your way out of the pit of depression and met your wonderful wife. My advice for you is to give thanks to God every day you have for it was His plan all along that you experience the lows in life so you can appreciate and give thanks for the highs. My hope for you is that one day you can take her to Hawaii and let her experience its magic too, have sex on the beach (the drink, of course) and watch those Maui sunsets together. For some people, like you and me, Hawaii just rings a bell in our souls that can't be un-rung. It is a shiny beacon of hope, a place of beauty and peace, and it forever both nurtures and haunts us. For people who live there and can't appreciate that feeling I am reminded of the old saying "youth is wasted on the young" and sometimes Hawaii is wasted on the people who live there. I lift up my half frozen bottle of Coppertone to you and say thank you for being the warrior you are and for sharing your wonderful story.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 3,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayWA View Post
For some people, like you and me, Hawaii just rings a bell in our souls that can't be un-rung. It is a shiny beacon of hope, a place of beauty and peace, and it forever both nurtures and haunts us
How beautiful and poetic. Thank you.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:59 AM

431 posts, read 939,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If you wanna get saved, it's best to do it yourself. That's the only way to get it done right. JIMHO. If a dream of Hawaii helps you do that, then dream away. To get to better places, you have to know they exist. Then chart a path to get there, then start one step on that path. Then another step. You may not ever reach the goal but the journey towards it will probably be better than being stuck in a bad place. Asking for help can be a step on the path, asking someone else to save you may or may not be part of the path. It's different for each person.

Frequently, though, when folks act on their dream of Hawaii, they end up in a worse place because the dream doesn't match the reality.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:02 PM

69 posts, read 313,877 times
Awesome story, desert skies!!

When I first read the first three sentences of your story, I thought you were going to move to Hawaii and live on the beach as a homeless person, because of your financial loss, and how your partner back-stabbed you, etc.

But wow, I give you credit for being strong to move on in life. You were also lucky to find a great wife to carry you on her wings!

I wish you the best of luck, and maybe, if you're contemplating it, move to Hawaii (Maui perhaps?) after you retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: