Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 11:38 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times

Advertisements

So, HBH, how would you envision setting aside 20% of Oahu so that it couldn't be developed? Would you take land from private landowners? Would you change the existing zoning on undeveloped land so that it couldn't be developed?

I did a little looking around (didn't spend too much time on this) at who currently owns land in Hawaii. The State and the Department of Hawaiian Homelands own 85,000 acres on Oahu, 128,000 acres on Maui, 156,000 acres on Kauai, and a million acres on the Big Island. The US Government owns 531,000 statewide. The Kamehameha Schools own 48,000 acres on Oahu and 297,000 acres on the Big Island. Just on Oahu alone, that's 133,000 acres (not counting US Government owned) of the total 430,000 acres on the island, which I calculate to be 31%.

BTW, the Parker Ranch on the Big Island, at 480,000 acres, is larger than Oahu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 11:56 AM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
I've enjoyed seeing the YouTube vids HBH. Thanks for finding them and sharing.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:59 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I've enjoyed seeing the YouTube vids HBH. Thanks for finding them and sharing.
Your welcome, i really love the aina, it was gorgeous back den.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 02-09-2014 at 12:37 PM..

Old 02-09-2014, 12:24 PM

@Dreaming of Hawaii

Auntie I know what your saying. It only makes since to change the existing zoning on undeveloped land so that it couldn't be developed. There is a great Hawai'ian saying that goes like this, “Hi’ipoi i ka ‘Aina Aloha” Which means "Cherish the Beloved Land". That concept of Aloha ‘Aina – love of THIS land, is a good part of the present problems. Even back in my small kid time and my older uncles and auntie time we remember the sugar and pineapple industries, etc. were not as concerned with the ‘aina as they were with profit. When that was no longer as profitable they abandoned the islands, taking many jobs with them. The military is even worse, which has destroyed and polluted many spots such as Makua Valley. Was/is it worth the economic benefit they provided? My vote would be no. Even today with our attitude of wanting personal luxuries, is this benefiting our gorgeous home or aina?

We forget that its not modern luxuries or industries that are bad,

Continue next post.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:37 PM

@Dreaming of Hawai

Continue from my last post

It when those things become obsessions and cause inbalance that its an issue. If we look at the videos, you will see each generation had modern conveniences for its generation, but most generations had balance between both conveniences and nature.

This has nothing to do with native hawaiians, but just having balance and Saving what gorgeous aina we have left, which is the symbol of what Hawai'i was suppose to be, just remember we can't go back in time and live in the past. But at the same time once all the land is developed or destroyed we can turn the clock back and fix it, its gone. Enough said Mahalo.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
It only makes since to change the existing zoning on undeveloped land so that it couldn't be developed.
So even more high rises??????

If you think Hawaii is expensive now - just think how expensive it would be with more restrictive zoning laws.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
So even more high rises??????

If you think Hawaii is expensive now - just think how expensive it would be with more restrictive zoning laws.
But eventually your going to run out of land to build or develope on right? Then what are you going to do? Can you imagine how valuable your house, land will be if living conditions or even every piece of nature is destroyed or the desire or appeal to live in Oahu is gone? Balance viper.

I assume that most people move to Hawai'i because its a gorgeous place to live? Imagine what makes Hawai'i gorgeous is gone.

This locus attitude really needs to stop, we are going to run out of places to run to. California, Detroit and other cities are an example of the locus attitude.

And do you believe it will only be Oahu? Other islands are next because nothing is ever enough. We are starting to see the beginning stages of major development on other islands.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 02-09-2014 at 01:31 PM..

Old 02-09-2014, 01:44 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
HBH, you never really addressed my questions. Your wishful dreaming about going backwards in time needs a reality check that you are ignoring.

How do you propose taking land away from people who currently own it and who bought it with zoning that allows development? You can't just go to a landowner and tell him that his land is now economically worthless. Would you have the Hawaiian government buy it from them? Would you raise taxes so that could happen? Do you seriously think that people who currently live in Hawaii would rather see their tax money pay for more open space than for improving the infrastructure?

You also overlooked the facts that I provided regarding land ownership. At least 31% of the land on Oahu (and even more on the Big Island) is already in public ownership.

If and when you ever return to Hawaii, you should probably live on the Big Island where there is still a lot of undeveloped
land and where it probably will be for a long time.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
It is like you can't make up your mind - you complain often about the high cost of housing - people can't afford it - but at the same time you want restrictions on growth that will make housing even more expensive likely driving more longtime residents replacing them with people from the mainland with more $$$'s. Hmmm.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:57 PM

@Dreaming of Hawaii

Auntie this is your prejudice, i never said live in the past. My message is conservation of land and nature. I did answer your question "It only makes since to change the existing zoning on undeveloped land so that it couldn't be developed". Undeveloped land being "unowed by others". As for the Hawai'ian goverment thats a low blow. My loyalties are with whoever loves the aina and preserves Hawai'i for whats she is, not to make it a carbon copy of the city we moved from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu