Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 06:52 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times

Advertisements

@kixette,PaliPatty,hunterseat,MovingAloha

Mahalo sistahs and aunties im glad you liked it. It brings me joy to share stuff like that. We can never go back to those times in history, but it is helpful to know how gorgeous oahu used to be, and then make judgements on if we are heading in the right direction for the future. Most of the open spaces and nature is gone to development, but that doesn't mean we cant preserve some of whats left. The first step to change is awareness

Most people moving to Oahu are not aware of anything other then what they see now. So my hope is that this raised some awareness.

What can you do to make the difference? Its simple just love the aina and get involved. I will always support what group that loves the land and will preserve our homes gorgeous nature. Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 07:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Most people are quite happy with Oahu the way it is - otherwise it wouldn't be the way it is. Most people are happy to live in the present and not set ourselves back by the past.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Most people are quite happy with Oahu the way it is - otherwise it wouldn't be the way it is. Most people are happy to live in the present and not set ourselves back by the past.
If your not going to read the posts before or watch the videos, i wish you wouldn't troll ok. Because the message is to preserve what open spaces and gorgeous nature that is left in Oahu. If you believe 30 story buildings that block out the views and concrete is gorgeous viper then im feel sorry for you. Please read b4 posting I would be greatful. Mahalo

Old 02-08-2014, 07:35 PM

I watched the videos and I found them entirely unappealing (I'll clarify, in the sense I don't want to move back in time - I'm good with the here and now - history, fine - changing to the past - nope, no thank you).

I don't believe most people in the present day would desire to live in Oahu during those times. It's another sad attempt of not letting go of the past and not embracing the present and future.

Check out the Radio Shack commercial from the Super Bowl where the 80's want their stuff back. Nobody misses anything from the 80's, 70's, 60's, etc. Things are so much better now than then.

Last edited by whtviper1; 02-08-2014 at 08:13 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I watched the videos and I found them entirely unappealling. I don't believe most people would desire to live in Oahu during those times. It's another sad attempt of not letting go of the past and not embracing the present and future.
Once again viper your not reading the posts, this has nothing to do with living in the past. The videos were to show how gorgeous oahu was, and to preserve what green landscape we have left ok. You have to admit there was more trees, open spaces and nature and color in the past correct?

Old 02-08-2014, 07:51 PM

You can say that about anywhere.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:11 PM

136 posts, read 329,805 times
Just be happy Oahu doesn't look like Hong Kong. And the other Hawaiian islands have a lot more open space.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
You can say that about anywhere.
Whats your point viper besides being negative? Unfortantly we are talking about Oahu not everywhere else. I agree with you about how people want modern comforts. But that has nothing to do with preserving what makes the islands gorgeous. The problem viper isnt progress, the problem is often people don't think about the effects of the choices they make when it comes to the future(instant graditude) and others. We can pave and build on every available piece of land left on Oahu(just an example and could be a possibility in the future if you watched the videos ). Once thats done we can never go back, all the nature will be gone. Like I said in the post before your first comment. Most people are not aware of Oahu being anything then what is now. This raises an awareness that Oahu was gorgeous nature wise at one point.

The argument isnt modern comforts vs nature,comforts has no effect on how many trees we have etc. We can have both with balance.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 02-08-2014 at 08:31 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
Just be happy Oahu doesn't look like Hong Kong. And the other Hawaiian islands have a lot more open space.
Oh i agree, I also think what is interesting about the videos is you can look at each video as a line in the sand, you give an inch, then another inch, then a foot, then a mile. How long will it take for the rest of oahu to look like Honolulu or waikiki? Or the other islands to start looking like oahu in the 1990s? Of course our generation may never see this happen. But what about our grand children or future generations. Just something to think about.

A life of graditude and Aloha is the way to go.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 02-08-2014 at 08:35 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
Just be happy Oahu doesn't look like Hong Kong.
What is wrong with Hong Kong? I have a blast whenever I go - and everyone I know loves it who lives there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu