Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:36 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times

Advertisements

I'd invest in some martial arts classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 09:39 PM

117 posts, read 216,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
I've attended public and private schools. I'm sure it varies depending which private school, but in general bullying is less of a problem in private schools. I know people including whites from over a dozen private schools on Oahu and I've never heard anyone complain about bullying. Public schools vary a lot also, but overall there's more fights, theft, bullying, and other issues. Any of those could lead to students being suspended or expelled from private schools, whereas public schools usually have to keep those students. The faculty and staff at private schools are also more likely to respond to complaints about bullying and other problems because the school is competing for students and to have a good reputation, whereas public schools know many students don't really have a choice of where to attend.

It probably also depends on how many white students are at the school. A school in which 25% of the students are white is probably better than one where only 5% are.

Thank you, this was very helpful!

Old 03-05-2014, 09:42 PM

136 posts, read 329,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'd invest in some martial arts classes.
Just don't plan on using it on a private school campus unless you can prove it was in self-defense. The one time I saw a fight at my private school, both students were expelled. There was at least a fight a week at my public school and the students usually weren't even suspended.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:48 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutmad View Post
I said please don't tell me it's everywhere, because like clock work, people jump on here and want to be jerks. I should have known, someone would find a way, like yourself.

Can anyone be mature on this board and just be helpful. If you feel you are going to leave a rude, sarcastic remark, it's best you don't leave a comment. You're not helping anyone.

If you want to read only nice, pretty, fluffy words read a children's story and don't post on a public forum.
What makes you think any kid no matter what race or color is bullied anymore than any other kid in any setting public or private?
They aren't, being bullied is not limited to anything, anywhere, you can be rich, poor, male, female, black, white, brown, tan, olive, purple, green etc, attending any public or private school you can still be the target of a bully.

So why are you asking about a specific race in a specific place when you already know all of this?

Oh, if telling someone the truth is being rude and being a jerk you really need a reality check because the truth is always better than a lie, even if it is not written all new, shiny, pretty and frou frou.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:06 PM

136 posts, read 329,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
What makes you think any kid no matter what race or color is bullied anymore than any other kid in any setting public or private?
Except there are less bullies at private schools to begin with and many will get expelled or disciplined by their parents (who are paying expensive tuition) if they continue bullying.

But I agree that race often doesn't matter. Many bullies are more concerned about picking on anyone weak or getting some money than with the person's race. There were Asians and Pacific Islanders who got bullied at my public school even though like 90% of the students were of those races.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:07 PM

62 posts, read 332,565 times
Aloha,

My family moved to Oahu when my child was about the same age as yours is now. We have been here for close to seven years and my child has never had bullying issues that involved race. Has she had some "drama" with classmates from time to time - absolutely, but more along the lines of typical kid stuff. My child has lots of nice friends and they are a very diverse group. If/when you move here, go check out the schools you are interested in and you will get a feel for if they are a good fit. Keep in mind that some of the bigger, more competitive private schools have a long and complicated admissions process. You can't just show up on island, call Punahou, and say "I want to enroll my child". Not that you would do that or think that, but just know not all private schools will have openings. Also, many schools here start in early August, so the timeframe of the school year can be different from the mainland.

Best of luck to you and your family!

Old 03-13-2014, 10:41 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
OP, have you narrowed down the area or part of the island yet? I recommend an excellent private school in Kapolei named Island Pacific Academy. Very welcoming, good academics and exudes Ohana.
However, if you do choose to go public, most of the Elementary schools are very nurturing and I don't recall hearing of race-specific bullying at that level. My son and my grandson attended public and private school on island and had no bullying type issues, just the usual drama associated with children from various backgrounds and upbringing. We're AA and only had one racial incident and it did not involve a local child.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:28 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
The private schools are much more well behaved than the public ones. At least, of the ones I've seen, not that it's been a lot.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:18 PM

100 posts, read 269,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutmad View Post
My gosh, why is everyone on here so RUDE!!
lol well I think you already answered your question while asking it and everyone responding is simply validating this by their behavior. You kind of walked right into it

Old 03-14-2014, 12:23 PM

117 posts, read 216,714 times
Actually, there were some mature people who actually responded accordingly. It's unfortunate that I actually have to ask for "mature" answers from grown adults, but there are always people that comb the site (such as yourself) that don't want to add any value. They just want to poke fun, be rude or sarcastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: