Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 11:48 AM

26 posts, read 64,340 times

Advertisements

In May we're staying on the beach in Hauula and I'm curious if there's anything to do right around there. We'll have a car and have no problem driving around but I'm hoping there are some options close by.

I lived on Oahu (Aiea and Hawaii Kai) in the 70's and 80's and have been back a few times, but I'm not as familiar with that part of the island. At best I've driven through it on a sight seeing trip. I'm just excited to not be staying in Waikiki.

Anything a 5 year old would think is cool?
Any places to eat where a very picky husband and MIL would be satisfied?
Any places we should avoid at night?
We plan on doing a lot of grilling. Any nearby places sell fresh fish?
TIA
Pinky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 12:00 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Well - if you like quiet and remote, you picked the right place. Plenty of Shrimp trucks as you make your way past Laie - there is a Foodland in Laie that should have plenty of fresh fish for sale (it'll be closed on Sunday as the town is nearly 100% Mormon so shop/plan accordingly. You could always have dinner at Turtle Bay but it'll be pricey.

The more interesting things - in my opinion, will be past Turtle Bay, all the world famous North Shore beaches are over there......

Last edited by whtviper1; 03-26-2014 at 12:10 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 08:16 PM

181 posts, read 273,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyTuscadero View Post
Anything a 5 year old would think is cool?
You're not asking for much, are you?

There was a gal with a stables in Kahuku who would rent horses for rides on the beach. There may be someone renting rides in powered parachutes at the airfield. Check for keiki surfing lessons, outrigger rides, etc. If he doesn't swim yet, check keiki swimming classes.

As a last resort, have him watch the "Gilligan's Island" marathon weekend before you go, then tell him if he complains you'll buy him a ticket for a three-hour tour.

Whatever else you do, KEEP AN EYE ON HIM THE WHOLE TIME. If you want a break, you can hire one of the coeds from La'ie to babysit (check at Temple View Apartments, which are the married-students' housing). If you ask around, you may find one who will take him to PCC for a casual visit while you and the Significant Other get a day to yourselves.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:17 AM

26 posts, read 64,340 times
Thanks for the great ideas.

My son keeps saying he wants to visit rock pools and see starfish and crabs. I remember doing this somewhere on a school field trip but can't remember where. I just remember finding sea cucumbers and brittle starfish. He'd love to climb around on rocks in low tide and see the sea life in all it's glory.

We've been waiting until he's 5 to make the trip. We plan to do some standard things like Hanauma Bay, Arizona Memorial, Bellows Beach (Waimanalo), Halona Cove, shopping in Haleiwa with a stop at Matsumoto's etc... These are things I remember well from my childhood.

Is Sea Life Park still OK? We used to live near it and would go about once a year.

I just want my son to love the islands as much as I do.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:50 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Just a suggestion. Don’t forget the Waikiki Aquarium. I know your don’t want to spend much time in Waikiki. During the day might be alright. Enjoy your return visit to Oahu.
Waik
Scott

Old 04-09-2014, 02:28 PM

12 posts, read 21,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - if you like quiet and remote, you picked the right place. Plenty of Shrimp trucks as you make your way past Laie - there is a Foodland in Laie that should have plenty of fresh fish for sale (it'll be closed on Sunday as the town is nearly 100% Mormon so shop/plan accordingly. You could always have dinner at Turtle Bay but it'll be pricey.

The more interesting things - in my opinion, will be past Turtle Bay, all the world famous North Shore beaches are over there......
What he said ^^ Turtle Bay is expensive though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu