Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:25 PM

9 posts, read 19,967 times

Advertisements

I've got a job offer in the Pearl Harbor area, and am currently scouting things out on island.

The only problem is, I've got 3 cats. Finding places within budget around $1800-$1900 is hard on it's own, and adding 3 cats to the mix is only making things harder.

There's some places in the Waikele area that I've checked out that seem ok. The only thing I worry about is traffic into Pearl Harbor. Anyone do this commute or know someone that does? How is it?

Thanks in advance for any advice/knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 10:34 PM

136 posts, read 328,346 times
Traffic isn't too bad. The worst morning traffic going east starts at Middle Street and improves past Downtown so you'll be avoiding that area completely. There is afternoon traffic from Pearl Harbor to Waipahu but the drive is fairly short so it's manageable.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
Traffic isn't too bad. The worst morning traffic going east starts at Middle Street and improves past Downtown so you'll be avoiding that area completely. There is afternoon traffic from Pearl Harbor to Waipahu but the drive is fairly short so it's manageable.
Thanks for that info! Was hoping it would be alright. Without getting too specific, what would you say I would average timewise?

The leasing agent said 30-45 minutes one way which is totally ok, but since they have a vested interest I was wary of that number.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:57 PM

136 posts, read 328,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digits123 View Post
Thanks for that info! Was hoping it would be alright. Without getting too specific, what would you say I would average timewise?

The leasing agent said 30-45 minutes one way which is totally ok, but since they have a vested interest I was wary of that number.
30-45 minutes sounds about right during the morning and late afternoon rush hours, with morning being faster than afternoon. You might even make it in under 30 minutes in the morning especially if you leave before 6:30am or so.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:22 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,235,013 times
Some people working in Pearl Harbor from Waipahu, leave early, usually like to get through the H1/H2 merge, heading for Pearl Harbor and Honolulu before 0530 before the back up begins. All the people who work downtown usually leave at 530 am, or before. I work at Pearl harbor and we start work at 0630. You will have heavy traffic at the gates every morning starting before 0600. Traffic is usually pretty good in the morning, 30-45 minutes, with out accidents. Afternoon going home will be slower. You'll learn by trial and error when to leave in the morning. Afternoon rush you cannot plan. You just have to go with the flow of traffic. Best of luck in your search for a place to live.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:13 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,088,969 times
We brought over 3 cats too. With the right prep, it goes pretty smoothly. One thing I hadn't considered was that the airlines are only allowed to have so many pets per type of plane on any given flight. Calling well in advance to reserve the pets spot on the plane made a difference.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Some people working in Pearl Harbor from Waipahu, leave early, usually like to get through the H1/H2 merge, heading for Pearl Harbor and Honolulu before 0530 before the back up begins. All the people who work downtown usually leave at 530 am, or before. I work at Pearl harbor and we start work at 0630. You will have heavy traffic at the gates every morning starting before 0600. Traffic is usually pretty good in the morning, 30-45 minutes, with out accidents. Afternoon going home will be slower. You'll learn by trial and error when to leave in the morning. Afternoon rush you cannot plan. You just have to go with the flow of traffic. Best of luck in your search for a place to live.
Awesome thanks for the info. My work day is looking like the standard 8-5 so a 5:30 AM start isn't really on my radar. Or should it be ?

Either way thanks for the knowledge, crossing my fingers hoping it all works out.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
We brought over 3 cats too. With the right prep, it goes pretty smoothly. One thing I hadn't considered was that the airlines are only allowed to have so many pets per type of plane on any given flight. Calling well in advance to reserve the pets spot on the plane made a difference.
Great tip! Thanks for that. I have a drs. note for my cats as emotional support animals for my wife. I hope this helps me a little bit with the airlines, but will definitely book well in advance.

I'm currently on Oahu scoping things out, and it was the first time I flew out mentally putting myself in a cats shoes, and was thinking about how terrified they were going to be. They freak out when earthquakes hit so that turbulence is going to be like kryptonite to them.

How did yours do on the flight?

Old 04-24-2014, 10:26 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,811,096 times
Have you started the quarantine process for you cats? Otherwise they will go to Kitty Jail for 6 months; and it'll cost you.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:42 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,225,307 times
Kitty jail is like torture but service animals have different standards, don't they?
We flew a cat out of HI to Atlanta in a carry on. Also a small dog in a carry on. Another in cargo. oy
We dosed the cat with benedryl. He was fine. Some airports have dog walking areas and I had worked with Leland to go on a leash. He enjoys it since he's an inside cat, not by his choice. He knows when that harness comes out he gets to meander outside. Anyway, Seattle had a dog walk area and I brought a ziplock with kitty litter. I put a plastic grocery bag flat on the floor and sprinkled a bit of litter and he used it! The TSA people really took a long look at the zip lock but when they heard it was kitty litter they refused to put their hand in it. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu