Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:45 PM

33 posts, read 140,113 times

Advertisements

Robberies usually are at overlooks, parks and spots of interest. Like the rash of break-ins at the lot by the Mokapu lighthouse. No ghettos but pretty places instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 10:10 PM

850 posts, read 4,351,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norhjerseygirl View Post
Robberies usually are at overlooks, parks and spots of interest. Like the rash of break-ins at the lot by the Mokapu lighthouse. No ghettos but pretty places instead.

do you mean MAKAPU'U lighthouse? and not, "mokapu lighthouse"?

Old 12-20-2007, 02:28 PM

795 posts, read 2,292,015 times
Talking ghetto areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brav989 View Post
And generally avoided ghetto areas.
where Oh' where is them 'ghetto areas' at?

Old 12-20-2007, 03:16 PM

203 posts, read 1,355,262 times
That's just my generic term for the less than desirable areas

Old 12-20-2007, 03:16 PM

9 posts, read 43,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
do you mean MAKAPU'U lighthouse? and not, "mokapu lighthouse"?

i was thinking the same thing...wondering if there was some secret place i didnt know about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norhjerseygirl View Post
If you leave it unlocked and there are no valuables they can look around, leave and not break your window! They are looking for cameras, purses and stuff tourists leave behind. They break into local cars all the time because they are locked. If on drugs you want to hit and run, not hot wire and drive around.

but the point is, why would you want to "invite" them to look around in the first place? Locks are a deterrant...they're only going to want to "look around" if they see something worth looking at. If you have nothing in the car, doors locked, odds are they won't be interested...just my .02

Old 12-22-2007, 08:56 AM

90 posts, read 295,664 times
It's understandable to be that paranoid. Just take all your stuff with you and lock up. Not much else you can do.
Well, make sure the alarm is on and park in a visible area.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:59 AM

45 posts, read 290,083 times
Prevention is always good. Never leave valuables in plain site. Leave them at home to be safe. Always lock your car no matter what.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:55 PM

70 posts, read 374,348 times
So far, so good. The house I am renting in Kailua, the guys hasn't locked the doors in 10 years. Leaves everything open all day while he is out. Never broken into.

I will still be a little careful, but I do not need to worry so much it seems.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:24 PM

850 posts, read 4,351,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobart View Post
So far, so good. The house I am renting in Kailua, the guys hasn't locked the doors in 10 years. Leaves everything open all day while he is out. Never broken into.

I will still be a little careful, but I do not need to worry so much it seems.

our family home of over 50 years (kailua, o'ahu) has never been broken into. our neighbors are always aware of "outsiders." however, property crime is still a problem no matter the neighborhood.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,098 times
Default Just Back from Oahu

Rented a convertible. I needed to pick up a few things. I parked in front of Barnes and Noble at the Wakkiki Mall. It looked like a safe place. When I returned to the car, I noticed nothing out of place, noting amiss. But when I arrived at my hotel, the trunk was empty. Closer examination revealed that the trunk lock had been tampered with. The top was unharmed. The car was left - and everything in it. These folks evidently have locksmith sets. They are genuinely professional.

The police laughed - said it happens all the time. No follow-up is anticipated.

A cab driver, who also works with a tour company, had just had an experience in which a tourist called him on his cell phone to report that he was running late, and had been forced to park a block away from the tour departure site, again in the Wakkiki area. The tour host told him that he would wait, only to hear the man say to himself, "What are they doing?" He was now running, reporting to the tour host what was happening - they are into my car, they are taking stuff out, "Hey, you! Stop!" The tour host spotted a police man and reported what was happening only a block away. The police responded, "Well, they are probably already gone by now."

One more ...

My son-in-law works in crime data and resourcing. He told me after my incident that he had run across an interesting report about crime on Oahu. A ring of theives were specializing in breaking into cars on the island. What caught his attention was that the gender of the theives was - well, a group of girls, believe it or not.

On my police report, they did not even list a follow-up officer. It was clear, the report was for insurance purposes. They have no intention of following up, it is far too common.

Go back? Don't go to Hawaii! I won't go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu