Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 10:30 AM

6 posts, read 9,526 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am considering moving in the next month to the Scholfield Barracks. I have a sister and brother-in-law who are stationed there and I will be living with them. I won't have the typical worries of rent (which I understand is extremely high). However, I am concerned about the job market. I will not have a car for a while, so I will need something that is walkable. We will be on post, so obviously some type of job on post. Can anyone tell me what the current job market is for civilians on post? I have heard so many different things. I would really love to move to such a beautiful place with my family but I need to make sure I can even find a job first!

I will be graduating in December with my Bachelor of Arts. I know this is probably irrelevant as I will have to accept entry level jobs for a while. I've also heard that you have to take multiple part time jobs to compensate for the lack of full-time jobs.

Can I find a job(s) as a civilian on post? Or is the job market too saturated? Also, since I won't be paying rent or utilities, will I be able to survive with only my income?

Brutal honesty please! Thanks in advance! God Bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 04:53 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousTraveler View Post
Hello, I am considering moving in the next month to the Scholfield Barracks. I have a sister and brother-in-law who are stationed there and I will be living with them. I won't have the typical worries of rent (which I understand is extremely high). However, I am concerned about the job market. I will not have a car for a while, so I will need something that is walkable. We will be on post, so obviously some type of job on post. Can anyone tell me what the current job market is for civilians on post? I have heard so many different things. I would really love to move to such a beautiful place with my family but I need to make sure I can even find a job first!

I will be graduating in December with my Bachelor of Arts. I know this is probably irrelevant as I will have to accept entry level jobs for a while. I've also heard that you have to take multiple part time jobs to compensate for the lack of full-time jobs.

Can I find a job(s) as a civilian on post? Or is the job market too saturated? Also, since I won't be paying rent or utilities, will I be able to survive with only my income?

Brutal honesty please! Thanks in advance! God Bless!
Brutal honesty, are you sure that's what you really want to hear?

First, congratulations on almost obtaining a BA degree. A BA degree could mean additional income over your lifetime, or it could gain you nothing in additional income and return you a lot of debt.

In my opinion, you are about to make a mistake, if you are willing to work any part time jobs, like dish washing jobs or other low-level, low wage, part time, no benefits jobs after graduating from college while living in Hawaii. You'll be living in a nice place, but you'll be broke all the time!

First, what is your major? Depending on your major, your degree may add financial value to your life, or may put you farther behind people with only a high school education. Majors in sciences, business, and medical fields can offer high rates of return. Majors like Sociology, Humanities, Art History, and Women's Studies give you a very low rate of return, worse than the people that only have a high school education because of the added debt and lost working years.

You should seriously consider thinking in the longer term. When you graduate from college the clock starts ticking. The longer you go without obtaining a respectable job, the worse it will be for you. You need to write up your resume. Your resume will have your education history and your work history. If there is a long time gap, like a year or more after graduation and your first respectable job, your resume will reflect your lowered status. Prospective employers will compare your resume to others that have a better education and employment histories. Your resume will likely be discarded.

To increase you chances of long term successes in life, you should obtain an education in a field that has a high return for your financial investment and struggling to obtain the highest grades possible. You should try to work at least 3 years for each respectable company. While on the job, try to improve your job skills so that you can qualify for a better job in the future. Over time, try to obtain better and higher income jobs. If you have several jobs that last a year or less in duration, then your resume might be discarded by your perspective employer. Perspective employers do not like to see a lot of short term job history.

Of course, you could ignore my advice, and proceed with your plan. Move to Oahu. Live with your relatives. Work several low-level, low pay, no benefits, part time, no future jobs. The choice is yours.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Hello, I am considering moving in the next month to the Scholfield Barracks. I have a sister and brother-in-law who are stationed there and I will be living with them. I won't have the typical worries of rent (which I understand is extremely high). However, I am concerned about the job market. I will not have a car for a while, so I will need something that is walkable.
I'm sure long term career planning is not your primary concern at this point. And I do understand the allure of living *rent free* in HAWAI'I for a while once you graduate from college.

Only you can suss out whether that would be a good deal for you or not. How comfortable are you likely to be living in someone else's house, on a military base, even if that "someone" is your sister? Not your place, not your rules... how long can you submit to living in someone elses's home? ... and how long will you be able to accept the hospitality without feeling like you really need to kick in something for the expenses? And I assume you'll pay your way from the get-go for food and personal items.

So you'll need money, and what's available on or around base may not be be enough to sustain even your modest needs at first. So I'd check out what your public transportation resources are from where you'll be living... your sister should be able to help sort this out... and expand your search beyond what is merely within walkable distance.

Good luck!

Old 08-21-2014, 07:37 PM

293 posts, read 361,781 times
I would give it a try for six months and look at it as a vacation with benefits if you can find a job. Try the PX and a lot of the other places on base go to the military employment center on base and sign up with them. If, in six months you don't find a job, then start planning on where you want to go back on CONUS. Good luck.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Brutal honesty, are you sure that's what you really want to hear?

First, congratulations on almost obtaining a BA degree. A BA degree could mean additional income over your lifetime, or it could gain you nothing in additional income and return you a lot of debt.

In my opinion, you are about to make a mistake, if you are willing to work any part time jobs, like dish washing jobs or other low-level, low wage, part time, no benefits jobs after graduating from college while living in Hawaii. You'll be living in a nice place, but you'll be broke all the time!

First, what is your major? Depending on your major, your degree may add financial value to your life, or may put you farther behind people with only a high school education. Majors in sciences, business, and medical fields can offer high rates of return. Majors like Sociology, Humanities, Art History, and Women's Studies give you a very low rate of return, worse than the people that only have a high school education because of the added debt and lost working years.

You should seriously consider thinking in the longer term. When you graduate from college the clock starts ticking. The longer you go without obtaining a respectable job, the worse it will be for you. You need to write up your resume. Your resume will have your education history and your work history. If there is a long time gap, like a year or more after graduation and your first respectable job, your resume will reflect your lowered status. Prospective employers will compare your resume to others that have a better education and employment histories. Your resume will likely be discarded.

To increase you chances of long term successes in life, you should obtain an education in a field that has a high return for your financial investment and struggling to obtain the highest grades possible. You should try to work at least 3 years for each respectable company. While on the job, try to improve your job skills so that you can qualify for a better job in the future. Over time, try to obtain better and higher income jobs. If you have several jobs that last a year or less in duration, then your resume might be discarded by your perspective employer. Perspective employers do not like to see a lot of short term job history.

Of course, you could ignore my advice, and proceed with your plan. Move to Oahu. Live with your relatives. Work several low-level, low pay, no benefits, part time, no future jobs. The choice is yours.

I want brutal honesty! I will have my degree in General Studies - Business & Technology. I switched from nursing because my life goal is to attend PT school.

I am not married. No kids. I have zero attaching me to my current life on the mainland. I have almost my entire family in Oahu (brother & his wife are also stationed here), which makes a HUGE difference.

I do need to think long-term. I completely agree. And if I find out that it isn't for me, I have a home I can move back to and resume my life as easily.

You make some very valid points and I do appreciate your honesty. I'm taking things you said into consideration.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I'm sure long term career planning is not your primary concern at this point. And I do understand the allure of living *rent free* in HAWAI'I for a while once you graduate from college.

Only you can suss out whether that would be a good deal for you or not. How comfortable are you likely to be living in someone else's house, on a military base, even if that "someone" is your sister? Not your place, not your rules... how long can you submit to living in someone elses's home? ... and how long will you be able to accept the hospitality without feeling like you really need to kick in something for the expenses? And I assume you'll pay your way from the get-go for food and personal items.

So you'll need money, and what's available on or around base may not be be enough to sustain even your modest needs at first. So I'd check out what your public transportation resources are from where you'll be living... your sister should be able to help sort this out... and expand your search beyond what is merely within walkable distance.

Good luck!
You addressed some of my main concerns as well. You can wear out your welcome, even with family. I would never have rules placed on me. We are both adults (29 and 30), so that would never happen.

My biggest concern is finding a job! I want to at least give it a shot. As I mentioned in previous post, I have a home I can come back to if things do not pan out. Is the possibility of finding a job near impossible? Or rather a job that pays somewhat decent.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPILOT View Post
I would give it a try for six months and look at it as a vacation with benefits if you can find a job. Try the PX and a lot of the other places on base go to the military employment center on base and sign up with them. If, in six months you don't find a job, then start planning on where you want to go back on CONUS. Good luck.
Thank you! I have considered the PX and various other civilian jobs. I know CYS is a fairly good job to have on post but I'm not sure how competitive it is to get these types of jobs.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
You addressed some of my main concerns as well. You can wear out your welcome, even with family. I would never have rules placed on me. We are both adults (29 and 30), so that would never happen.
Uhhhh, guess again. Even the closest of friends or relatives find that at least a few basic rules, whether spoken or not, are necessary in order to not commit murder upon each other. Even married couples have to deal with this fact.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Uhhhh, guess again. Even the closest of friends or relatives find that at least a few basic rules, whether spoken or not, are necessary in order to not commit murder upon each other. Even married couples have to deal with this fact.
Haha. I see your point. Your overall suggestion is....?

Old 08-21-2014, 10:20 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Also consider Wheeler AFB next to Scholfield Barracks. They have a small PX also and check with the Base Bowling Alley or MWR office on both bases.

For Transportation Use the bus to get around cheaply enough. I rode the bus the first five years i was here in the Navy. Back in those days it was 50 cent one way, then later up to 75 cents. Didn't want to make car payment/insurance being at sea and the car just sitting there. You can get monthly pass at any satellite city hall. I know Foodland out in town sells monthly bus passes. I am sure the other stores like Times or Safeway might also sell them. Check on base to see if you can buy monthly Bus passes there. Then you can get out and about, and maybe find some other work a little farther away.
The bus link: TheBus - Routes & Timetables
Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu