Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 02:10 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times

Advertisements

Saw on the news tonight the average wait to have AC installed is 5 weeks - personally, I don't buy into no AC is comfortable on Oahu all year around......

From the article:

"While the sizzling summer heat has hit the Hawaiian Islands, business has been booming for air conditioning installation and repair companies."

"I'm sure that this is the hottest summer I've ever felt,"

"Wolleat waited three weeks for his installation. Compare that to the current five-week wait."

"Although there have been no record breakers this summer, Honolulu has reached 90 degrees or above 14 of the first 17 days this month."

Sizzling summer temps; 14 of 17 days this month in 90's - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 10:26 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Saw on the news tonight the average wait to have AC installed is 5 weeks - personally, I don't buy into no AC is comfortable on Oahu all year around......

From the article:

"While the sizzling summer heat has hit the Hawaiian Islands, business has been booming for air conditioning installation and repair companies."

"I'm sure that this is the hottest summer I've ever felt,"

"Wolleat waited three weeks for his installation. Compare that to the current five-week wait."

"Although there have been no record breakers this summer, Honolulu has reached 90 degrees or above 14 of the first 17 days this month."

Sizzling summer temps; 14 of 17 days this month in 90's - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Welcome to the concept of Hawaii time, a phenomena as old as the islands themselves and will probably never go away either.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Good news for people in the AC business, the predictions from the climate change scientists are that Hawai'i will progressively get hotter in the years ahead, and the historic cooling trade winds will diminish.

Bad news from the Electric Company, they're asking everyone to cut down and conserve energy as much as possible, because of issues with generating capacity.

Repairs underway at lame electrical facility Hawaii News, Honolulu, Honolulu News, Sports, Editorial, Features, Travel and Business - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - Hawaii Newspaper

I guess the old ways are best... just get as naked as you can and get out on the lanai or the beach with a tall frosty one in hand.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:41 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Good time to move a HVAC business to Hawaii?

Gotta wonder how you guys are going to deal with the electricity demand when all of those new high rises and malls open up with their A/C's blasting. Any talk of solar power initiatives or using ocean turbines to harvest tidal energy and wave swell energy? I doubt nuclear would be a popular option after what happened in Japan recently.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:38 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Betcha part of the wait time is because there aren't all that many HVAC places. Historically, between the Tradewinds and the high cost of electricity, A/C hasn't been high on everyone's lists. Then, what with the recent hot weather, everyone wants A/C at once and there just aren't all that many A/C businesses around. Nor are there any A/C businesses from a neighboring state that can be called in.

If you have a big enough A/C installed, you can use the waste heat from it to heat water.

What I'm wondering is if all the heat being tossed back outside is going to raise the heat factor even higher? Kinda like when they put that reflective glass up on buildings that reflected the sun onto the neighboring buildings and raised their neighbors cooling bills.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:42 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Well, there's a cold front on the way. So, for all those who don't live in a hi-rise with no cross ventilation, relief is on the way.

May get down into the 70's!! The LOW 70's!!! Now, where's that sweater????

The real thin one

Old 09-19-2014, 12:21 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
The rains today, this afternoon, helped cool off a little around Pearl Harbor this afternoon. So a little cooler tonight for a change or i am adjusting to the Humidity? Looking forward to the cold front heading this way.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:43 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
You are getting used to it. It was brutal today. Especially the humidity.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:51 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You are getting used to it. It was brutal today. Especially the humidity.
Well, a little before sunup it was very nice, and cool, about a quarter mile off Polo Beach. The water, however, was salty. Can't have everything.

Uuuurrrrpppp, e kala mai i'au

Old 09-21-2014, 12:15 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Elevation is your friend! We are at 1,000 feet with great tradewinds and not a lot of concrete around. Stays much cooler than Oahu. I think so much concrete acts as a huge heat sink or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu