Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 07:23 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,554 times

Advertisements

Yeah, why they gotta go an change sh*t? They should stay the same like the International Market Place and cater to the needs of the locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 07:32 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
General Growth Properties is entitled to do what they want to the property (assuming zoning and other legal issues). If they want to make it a giant concrete block - they can. A big parking lot - go for it. The biggest Walmart in the world - entitled. Or, how it looks today and in the future they can do so.

If you don't like it - buy it from them and do what you want to the mall.

I do know it is the most visited place in Hawaii.

Ala Moana Center: About Us

"42 million annual visitors per year—making it Hawaii’s most visited destination with locals and tourists. "
People are entitled to live in a community they want and that is theres, to decide what is good or not for there communities. If they want to keep it quiet they should be able too, if the majority is against redevelopment then thats the way its should be. You don't like it? Buy the community! Dont buy off politicians or campaigns or legal battles to get what you want.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Yeah, why they gotta go an change sh*t? They should stay the same like the International Market Place and cater to the needs of the locals.
The point was "If you don't like it - buy it from them and do what you want to the mall" is all bs. The phoney free country garbage. Majority of hawaiian residents in communities have spoken many of times which is the american way. But majority ignored by the system for people with money (Plutocracy).

Old 11-05-2014, 07:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
If they want to keep it quiet they should be able too
They do that by not shopping there, not for wishing for a 1970's timewarp - the place is off the chart jammed by locals - one only has to observe the parking lot which are not rental cars but people who live in the community.

Hawaii again had some of the lowest voter turnout in history yesterday - you don't vote - that is what you get.

Or move.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
The point was "If you don't like it - buy it from them and do what you want to the mall" is all bs. The phoney free country garbage. Majority of hawaiian residents in communities have spoken many of times which is the american way. But majority ignored by the system for people with money (Plutocracy).
If only all the greedy "locals" hadn't sold and fled to the west coast spoiling those neighborhoods.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:25 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,516,173 times
Quote:
Yes, we do live in a Plutocracy.

I have given up on the Hawaii forums. It has a handful of snarky posters who enjoy taking cheap shots at others. The funny thing is they are still allowed to post. I never have issues in the other forums I post in at C-D, tho. Oh, well!

Last edited by kaimuki; 11-05-2014 at 10:04 PM..

Old 11-05-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Yes, we do live in a Plutocracy.

I have given up on the Hawaii forums. It has a handful of snarky posters who enjoy taking cheap shots at others. The funny thing is they are still allowed to post. I never have issues in the other forums I post in at C-D, tho. Oh, well!
Yeah i hear you bruddah, you will be really missed. We really need your local voice here and perception because its a minority on here but in reality its the majority view in hawaii . To bad some here always chase locals away.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
They do that by not shopping there, not for wishing for a 1970's timewarp - the place is off the chart jammed by locals - one only has to observe the parking lot which are not rental cars but people who live in the community.

Hawaii again had some of the lowest voter turnout in history yesterday - you don't vote - that is what you get.

Or move.
I think your confusing mainland transplants with locals whtwiper1. Why don't people vote? Hmmm maybe locals feel there vote doesn't count or matter? Maybe people feel that the electted officials don't really reflect the average residents issues? Can we see oahu today as a reflection of government not listening to local resident issues? At least the 1970s oahu timewarp resembles oahu when she was still hawaii and not just some rich mainlanders ideal of mainland on hawaii. Hmmm maybe if you really believed half of your liberty, justice and american way stuff when it just doesn't benefit you, you will see everything in Oahu is a sham.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
To bad some here always chase locals away.
And you're a local how? I'm a property owner for almost 40 years and attend neighborhood board meetings and vote. I am the aloha spirit here. You bailed on Hawaii and want to whine from afar that somebody owes you a past that is long gone, no help from you.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
And you're a local how? I'm a property owner for almost 40 years and attend neighborhood board meetings and vote. I am the aloha spirit here. You bailed on Hawaii and want to whine from afar that somebody owes you a past that is long gone, no help from you.
Your an mainland transplant invester honobob. If Hawaii wasn't profitable you wouldn't be there. Me i was born and raised. To me hawaii isnt about money or owning property. But a culture and lifestyle and a way of thinking and living. When locals close there eyes at night and dream about hawaii or miss home it isnt the new skyscraper that extends higher then diamond head or the next big box store moving into the hood they dream about or miss. Its the hanging with friends at places like the magic mushroom or K.C drive in or the magical sunset or sunrise they experienced wit there wahine. Or there ohanas 1st year luau for there lil brother or sister or attending there highschool carnival with there ohanas etc.

Pg 1/2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: