Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:11 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times

Advertisements

@pj737

Your talking about going into debt to buy a home. To be honest if you have to get in debt to get anything then its not affordable. Further i also believe your one of those who owns mult properties? Yes you maybe cash poor but you are wealthy.

Thou i agree it takes hardwork and good choices to succeed that is just part of the success equation. Trueth is we live in a country that has the highest wealth gap, the wealthiest 400 people in America now own more wealth than the bottom 150 million. As this pie keeps getting smaller it will become more difficult to pull your self up by your own bootstraps on just hardwork and good choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 12:03 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
There is NO housing crisis. It's an education and job crisis. Get a good education, get a good job, you get a house.
Of course, for many folks that were born and raised in Hawaiʻi that "getting a good education, good job, and house" scenario won't necessarily occur in Honolulu. While there's no "housing crisis" per se in Honolulu, there is an "affordable housing crisis."

Old 10-29-2014, 12:13 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Of course, for many folks that were born and raised in Hawaiʻi that "getting a good education, good job, and house" scenario won't necessarily occur in Honolulu. While there's no "housing crisis" per se in Honolulu, there is an "affordable housing crisis."
Agreed - While I am sure there are "some" decent public schools in Hawaii - this forum can be the poster child at times for the poor Hawaii public school system.

Don't have a good education - then the good job is unlikely - don't have a good job, the house is elusive.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:34 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Amen Aloha So realise that your point of view in reality only represents 1/2 of the true demografics of hawaii and let off the reigns a little. You rich represent more then 73% of CDF Hawaii posters when in reality only 33% of Hawaii residents earn more the 100k a year. Also your rich if you own a home in Hawaii unless yours was passed down from generation to generation. The cost of a home in Hawaii today you can buy 2 or 3 homes in some areas for that price.

Not against you personally Dthraco your more balanced then the rest, more a general statement ok.
My point of view is definitely my own. I certainly try to not impose it on others. But...I am definitely not rich. No help from my parents, moved out the day after graduating high school, worked to get to a sustainable life. Everybody has to find their own way. There are ways to get there, people just have to want to work for it.

While I appreciate your point of view and input to this forum, I also notice that you seem to be very concerned with proving that point of view. That seems to be what drives a good portion of the bickering here lately. Just my observation.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:20 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times
Quote:
Your talking about going into debt to buy a home. To be honest if you have to get in debt to get anything then its not affordable.
There are some things that would be considered good debt and some things that would be considered bad debt. Knowing the difference and learning how to leverage money, and the time-value of money, is essential for anyone to begin improving their overall financial position in life.

If you feel the only affordable housing is housing for which you need no debt in order to obtain, then most people would never buy a home. And home ownership is one of the best ways the average person can grow some net worth over time.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
My point of view is definitely my own. I certainly try to not impose it on others. But...I am definitely not rich. No help from my parents, moved out the day after graduating high school, worked to get to a sustainable life. Everybody has to find their own way. There are ways to get there, people just have to want to work for it.

While I appreciate your point of view and input to this forum, I also notice that you seem to be very concerned with proving that point of view. That seems to be what drives a good portion of the bickering here lately. Just my observation.
Your right, its not that i disagree with the whole work hard philosophy and it will get you somewhere mentality. Im just saying its not the total all code. Most of the time the class = morality argument is b.s especially in Hawaii where almost half of the population are renters. I push the point on here because theres no balanced view. Theres very little middle class and working class posters on here.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:01 PM

Guys heres the deal, in my daily life i deal with kids from broken homes. I see kids who deal with great disadvantages (not talking just being poor or single parent) I have one kid now who is 19, who lost both parents and his ohana at 11. Bounced thru almost 30 foster homes to the time he became an adult. Smart kid but because he bounced around alot his grades suffered badly. I look at this kid and know the odds of him not being in jail, homeless etc is against him. This wasn't really a bad kid, he wasn't violent, had some issues with adjustments in homes but nothing crazy. It was just easier for the foster homes to move the kid to a new home when issues relating to grief got to hard to handle or conditions weren't just right. I see him excited in succeding in life. My concern is reality. The state won't help with paying for his college. And for some one to get 50 grand in debt to pay for college with no promise of success or a safty net is crazy. I think of the military as an option his asvab scores

1/2 pg

Old 10-29-2014, 02:14 PM

2/2 continued

Are very high. But why should someone have to take a chance of getting killed to have an oppertunity to succeed? I know a younglady about his same age and situation who felt she couldn't make enough money flipping burgers to pay for college and decided to strip for a living.

And i hear myself saying to these kids "work hard, make good choices and you will succeed", but honestly how many will have a home in Hawaii or even a ohana in the future or make 100k a year? No the one size fits all success pull yourselves up from your bootstraps doesn't work for all, if it did then effort would be all one needs.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:54 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,750 times
For the person you are mentioning....Not all careers in the military involve being in harms way. Serving in the military can be difficult, but it also gives people options that they may not have had before. In today's military people can get a degree while they serve. Serving even one enlistment period grants VA benefits which include things like access to getting a VA Home Loan and medical treatment for free at VA hospitals for life. Then there's the folks who serve a full 20 years, get out at age 40, have retirement pay, access to the commissary, and get other full time work. If a person works hard and stays focused, the military can be a great option to build one's future. I know a few people who did this, one of which is attending college full time on the Post 9/11 G.I. bill. This guy is attending college full time, it's paid for, and he gets B.A.Q. to the tune of $2,700 a month + he's getting retirement pay at age 43. Not a bad setup.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:41 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,379 times
Quote:
@pj737

Your talking about going into debt to buy a home. To be honest if you have to get in debt to get anything then its not affordable. Further i also believe your one of those who owns mult properties? Yes you maybe cash poor but you are wealthy.
My opinion is there is a good debt and bad debt. If debt is attached to a (generally) appreciating asset and that debt is fixed and not a burden to your monthly finances, it is good debt. If debt is attached to a depreciating asset and/or the debt creates a burden on your monthly finances, it is bad debt. In general, most mortgage debt that is obtained and carried by responsible individuals is by far very healthy debt to have... in fact it's in many cases necessary to building a nest egg for a desirable retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: