Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:57 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
How is that a deal? Isn't that close to rack rate?
My bill got up to $230ish before I called a few months back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 11:18 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,480 times
This is typical practice for Comcast on the mainland too. They lure you in with a special rate. And when it expires, you call and re-negotiate. They make a killing on the people who are too lazy to try. It's *almost* like the "free for 3 months" services where you have to call and cancel or they keep billing you.

I stand corrected. My bill is $62 a month for basic cable and internet.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:52 PM

174 posts, read 349,042 times
3 adults in 488 sq ft condo (11th floor), no A/C = HECO bill of about $190+/- per month

Old 01-23-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbartist View Post
3 adults in 488 sq ft condo (11th floor), no A/C = HECO bill of about $190+/- per month
That seems extraordinarily high, even for Hawaii with no AC and such a small unit.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:09 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
Quote:
Wow. Seems high to me also. I have a larger condo, also on 11th Fl, in Waikiki, with an A/C unit and the bill is normally around $70 to $85 per month. Only 1 person though. A/C use is not all the time.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I have a larger condo, also on 11th Fl, in Waikiki, with an A/C unit and the bill is normally around $70 to $85 per month. Only 1 person though. A/C use is not all the time.
On the flip side - that seems extraordinarily low

Old 01-23-2015, 08:44 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
We have Time Warner Cable here, and I guess if the merger/buyout/whatever it is, is to happen with Comcast, it will be that then, and I assume rates will go up.

Like Whtviper says, we call up every April {our special rates expire May 15th every year.} and ask "what can you do for us to keep us as a customer? the only thing we really is the internet {for MOH's Work}, ANd there IS competition for that here too"... And they usually offer us another deal.

We have had a 2 year written contract, and though our current cycle is $15 more/month for a year over that 2 year previous deal, we still took it on the verbal basis.

They MAY NOT let you take the lowly offer you see on TV as that is "reserved for brand new customers", but they often have a deal they can give you close to it.

Come April here, we will call and ask to keep it at no more than A certain price we'd like to pay...WHATEVER it gets us in addition to our current speed of 'net. If we only get 'net and 16 channels on TV we willl adapt. No need for the 270+ channels we have that are mostly 3 times the repeat of the others anyway. And we don't care about HD. And we don't have the pay channels either. And we don't use the "on demand" either. And we don't need their phone either...it IS nice to not have long distance bills, but we don't make that many anyway. And we will always keep our hard wired land line as we are the only ones with a working phone when the power goes out as the cell towers go out too. That happens more than we'd like, and stays off for days in a row more often than we can tolerate.

So, go ahead, call up and ASK for a deal. It can work in your favor. It certainly can't hurt.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:05 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Wow. Seems high to me also. I have a larger condo, also on 11th Fl, in Waikiki, with an A/C unit and the bill is normally around $70 to $85 per month. Only 1 person though. A/C use is not all the time.
$190 is low if they have an electric water heater in the unit, take baths, have an inefficient washer dryer (non-front loading), cook a lot with electric and have an older fridge. Lots of variables come into play with electricity consumption. AC isn't the only beast that uses a lot of electricity.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:33 AM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
$190 is low if they have an electric water heater in the unit, take baths, have an inefficient washer dryer (non-front loading), cook a lot with electric and have an older fridge. Lots of variables come into play with electricity consumption. AC isn't the only beast that uses a lot of electricity.
Good points. In my unit, hot water is provided by the association and I do not have an in unit drier for clothes. I'm sure those help to keep my bill low. Additionally all units in my building pay a lower rate. It a commercial bulk rate on electricity, not the standard residential rate.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:16 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
That does seem high. Are your appliances old?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: