Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,594 times

Advertisements

Well, without a job meaning only working as an independent contractor for one of those ride sharing services to hold me over while I find actual employment.

My plan is:

Become an indie contractor for Uber/Lyft
Ship my car to Honolulu via Pasha
Get some roommates
Work at peak times like Friday and Saturday night
During dead times of the day, apply for service type jobs (I work in the fitness industry)

Is this a ridiculously stupid idea? I've contemplated moving for over 1 year, and have looked at 21 different states and have literally applied to hundreds of jobs, and have found that Honolulu is THE city I want to die in. However, without actual income will I die a few weeks (of starvation) without actual employment in a very expensive city?

BTW, I have money saved up. A few grand (not much, just over 5k). Is this enough to hold me over considering I actually will be making money doing the ride sharing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 01:15 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,217 times
Do the math on what it will cost you to survive until you find employment, give yourself at least 3-4 months to do this. Craigslist will give you an idea of what you will need to pay for a place to live. Then do the math on what people in your field make here. Add it all up and see if it makes sense. Being homeless in Hawaii is definintely not something you want to experience.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
How do you expect to get an apartment without a job?

Old 01-22-2015, 09:55 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,471 times
A credit check for Apartment also, by some Real Estate companies or Landlords..

Old 01-22-2015, 10:00 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
A credit check for Apartment also, by some Real Estate companies or Landlords..
In this tight market - landlords aren't renting to people without verifiable income regardless of credit checks.

Since Hawaii is generally ranked among the highest in credit scores (about 750) you need more than good credit.

Last edited by whtviper1; 01-22-2015 at 10:26 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 11:02 PM

181 posts, read 274,059 times
You're not going to make it trying to survive as an Uber driver, especially as malihini. You don't know the streets.

You're not going to get an apartment without a local job and references. You might be able to find someone willing to rent you a room, but it won't be cheap and it probably won't be good (or someone else would already be in it).

There is no shortage of people working in the fitness industry in Hawai'i, and locals hire local.

Which of those would make you believe that it's a GOOD idea to move to the islands?

Old 01-23-2015, 12:08 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManziel View Post
Well, without a job meaning only working as an independent contractor for one of those ride sharing services to hold me over while I find actual employment.

My plan is:

Become an indie contractor for Uber/Lyft
Ship my car to Honolulu via Pasha
Get some roommates
Work at peak times like Friday and Saturday night
During dead times of the day, apply for service type jobs (I work in the fitness industry)

Is this a ridiculously stupid idea? I've contemplated moving for over 1 year, and have looked at 21 different states and have literally applied to hundreds of jobs, and have found that Honolulu is THE city I want to die in. However, without actual income will I die a few weeks (of starvation) without actual employment in a very expensive city?

BTW, I have money saved up. A few grand (not much, just over 5k). Is this enough to hold me over considering I actually will be making money doing the ride sharing?
Despite what some posters are saying here, credit checks and a job aren't always necessary if you look in the shared rooms section of CL. You just may not find the most desirable roommates to live with. With your budget and saved $ your ONLY option is roommates anyway. And you will not be able to rent directly from a landlord. You will be dealing with the "head of the household" of the rental and they are generally less sophisticated and more lax about credit/job history. Your appearance, mannerisms, attitude and personality will be most important. Budget $1,000-$1,200/mo for rent if you share a modest so-so older house or apartment in or close to town incl utilities.

Most of the Uber/Lyft drivers here are not local so you'll do fine. And with mapping systems these days being so advanced/accurate you don't really need to know where anything is. However, if you plan to make money on "surge" pricing you'll probably be disappointed. I rarely see surge pricing here and when it hits it's not really that high. Maybe 1.5 - 2X. But I don't use their services that often so maybe I'm a bad example. I'm sure there are forums you can check here to validate how lucrative it is being a driver. I hope you have a late-model, clean, fuel efficient car.

Don't know much about the fitness industry here... However, I do have a couple tenants that are in the industry and they do relatively well earning in the 65-80K range. But they are college educated and carry various certifications. It's probably best that you look into this aspect a bit more before pulling the trigger and moving here.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:18 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Instead of waiting to become an indie driver for Uber/Lyft, you could already be doing that where ever you are now. Then you'll have ratings in place for after your move.

Save enough for a return ticket if you need it, but since there's been no mention of pets, kids or significant others, you may as well give it a try. If you bomb, but have enough to get back to where you started, then at least you will have tried.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:15 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
J Manziel,
Gee, $5k is about what we spend on a trip to Hawaii! Our first trip cost us $2,500, and we had "bargains" all around and that was 12 years ago for condo rental on N shore, Hotel In Wiakiki, car rental, air travel, etc..
I know you are probably frustrated in your job search, but Hawaii may not be the place either...

Here is what to consider: research first before going, unless you want just a vaction. Even then Research. Then research more. Do dilligent research again. Research rents, other costs, job options, expected income IF/When you get a job, travel expenses {gas oil etc}, food costs.

~I see currently on Craigs list there are rooms to rent for $600-$850 around Oahu. Assuming all utilities included. At that rate, you won't last but 6 months at an average of $700 for RENT ALONE. {assuming you spend only $4,500 of you "just over 5K" and leave the rest for return ticket home/shipping car back if it is that cheap.}
~ food, if you stick to "cheap places" {which might include franchised places}, or shop at Foodland and cook yourslef, and eat only twice a day, you will lose at least one half to one of those months of rent..so you are down to 5 months rent for your $4500.
~ If you survive 5 months, There will be ancillary expenses such as personal toiletries, household etc, possibly things like your own phone/internet connection {if not included in rent}, and other expenses, like GAS for your car, maintenance on it, allow for at least one month's rent worth, leaving you just 4 months of rent left for your $4,500. There WILL be "other costs", don't try and fool yourself. Even if you pack your car with a micowave, hotplate, mini fridge {you might want those for in your room} and toiletries, you will still have such expenses.
~If You are going to need more money than just a "return ticket home" to get re-started back home, then that will reduce your available cash by at least one month's rent, leaving you with just 3 months of rent left.
~you may have a hotel expense to get settled immediately BEFORE you find a room to rent as you really should not rent a place off CL sight unseen and the one you really Want will be GONE by the time you actually are there. That will reduce available rent cash.
~ Speaking of your car, exactly HOW much will it cost to ship it to Hawaii, and to ship it back if you DON'T make it? THAT alone MAY reduce you to just 2 months of available funds for renting a room on Hawaii. How about parking fees IF your rental doesn't include parking??
~what if your car suddenly needs a major repair? {guaranteed it WILL happen if you rely on it!}

SO, in short : Can you, On your $4,500 {or less if it costs dearly to ship that car}:
A} get there,
B} get settled
C} get a place to live
D} EAT
E} get around {gas, oil, parking fees if applicable}
F} get your car changed over to Hawaii if required {license, registration, etc costs}
G} get to and succeed at interviews
H} buy furniture IF not 'furnished'?
I} make enough money to extend your months of costs to actually succeed there?

On the other hand, I have "packed up and moved" to other states, sight unseen without a job or housing, 3 times in my life, and then you have to include "moving back 'home' " with only a 'little bit' of BORROWED money. I survived, but was young, single and CHEAP, and could pack some stuff in my truck to get me started... I COuldn't do it now. Not in this economy. Hawaii may be a bit different to just 'apck up and move to' if you are young, single and CHEAP...

SO, is it 'stupid'? I don't know, but I'd research carefully and plan accordingly before making the leap!
GOod Luck!
Be sure to tell of us of your success {or failure}!

Old 01-23-2015, 06:23 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManziel View Post

If you are young, single, and adventurous I don't think it is extremely stupid but it has its challenges. I moved there in 2002 with no friends, $1500, a duffle bag full of clothes, and a 1 month reservation at a hostel in Waikiki. Housing seems tighter now, job market is about the same, but it can certainly be done. Just always have a plan B. My first apartment what a week to week place I found on craigslist in Moiliili, no credit checks just pay your bill on time and keep your mouth shut. Not sure if those still exist but it worked until I found something more permanent. I bought a round trip ticket when I moved there and made the return flight as far in advance as I could with the assumption that I could pay the $100 change fee and return home at any point if I ran out of money or it wasn't working out. I talked to my parents and they were willing to house me for a while if I didn't make it and had to return home. In other words, the actual risks were minimal.

Given what I know about uber/lyft drivers actual salaries when you consider depreciation/gas/maintenance/insurance etc...

Lyft says its drivers can make $35 an hour. I spent a week driving to see if that

I would say sell the car and look for a service job when you get there since there are lots of them. It will cost you at least a grand to ship the car then the car is a liability when you are trying to get established and the cash you get for it would probably last you long enough to find regular employment or serve as a deposit on a place to live if you make it. You have to park it (which is an adventure), you have to put gas in it (which is the most expensive in the country), you have to insure it, the traffic in Honolulu sucks, the roads have complicated names and are strangely organized in town, and your car will likely get broken into at some point in the areas you can afford to live. I didn't have a car my first 3 years there. Just a cheap bike (which got stolen 3 times by the way) and a bus pas. Just my opinion, of course you can do what works for you.

Not having a local address can hurt you in the hiring process so you may want to consider getting a P.O. box when you get there if you have to stay at a hostel, week to week housing, or something not so permanent at first... Employers see a lot of dreamers move out there that don't stick around that long so you will need to convince them you are committed and reliable. Once you get a job, just showing up on time, looking professional, and doing your job is enough to make you a great employee there at most service professions. In my experience the bar for being considered a good employee is actually pretty low there.

If you have a good driving record then hotel valet is a decent job. Most pay minimum wage but you get health insurance and tips averaged about $50 a shift at the hotel I worked. You add that all up it came out to about $2k/month take home (depending on how much tips you report... I am not advocating cheating the IRS but...) State law used to require any job over 20hrs per week to provide health insurance... not sure if that is still true but use that to your advantage. Use your cash tips for your day to day expenses like food that way it just sort of disappears.

Security guard is also a decent one as the jobs are plentiful and the pay is better than minimum... usually around $9 or $10 an hour (contract security) to stand around most of the day. It comes with its own risks but they are minimal as your real job is just to observe and report to the cops in most cases.

You can eat on the cheap by consuming a lot of rice, pasta, farmers market veggies, and making your protein stretch. A plate lunch can turn into 3 or 4 meals if you make your own extra sides. You can also find avocado, papaya, etc... growing in some of the valleys wild if you look... just make sure you wash them well before eating.

Long story short, it can and has been done many times before you or I. I'm sure things have changed in the decade since I did this, or even in the few years since I moved away... but overall it seems possible to do. However, it also doesn't work out many of those times so have an exit plan so that you don't end up living in ala moana park on a tarp if things just aren't happening for you. There is a very real chance you blow ten grand and end up back where you started... but it is hard to put a price tag on life experience and chasing a dream. Good luck whatever you decide.

Last edited by UHgrad; 01-23-2015 at 06:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: