Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 02:59 AM

206 posts, read 186,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbit77004 View Post
I am a single mom of a 15 year old son moving to Hawaii. I am having a hard time getting solid answers about the high schools in Hawaii. I am being told that Moanalua or Roosevelt are the best ones to enroll my son in but then again I am being lead to believe that Kalani (?) and Campbell are better. My son is an A/B student with Honors and plays two musical instruments, though his athletic abilities are lacking. Is there any one out there that can give me feedback please? Thank you.
Being able to pick your high school assumes you have enough money to choose the neighborhood you live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 03:22 AM

3 posts, read 3,522 times
Thank you for all the responses. I am pretty capable of picking the area I want to live in when I get there, within reason. I am mostly basing my decisions on where he would prosper best. I am a parent that takes a very active role in making sure he completes his studies. I don't want a high school that is not going to challenge him. I am willing to live downtown or in Salt Lake. I am trying to avoid anything north of Aiea. I will have to commute between two locations for work, Fort Shafter and Ewa Beach. However, the housing that I keep considering up would have him attending Radford, Kaimuki or McKinley and those schools were not recommended to me. I do believe that if he buckles down it won't matter what school he attends but I still want to give him a well-rounded experience. We are not blond haired/blue eyed but yes, military affiliated, not that it matters.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:21 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,748,508 times
@lilbit77004

Well if your concerned with public schools? Then you might want to look at private schools as an option? Some of the best are St Louis, Iolani School, Punahou School, Mid-Pacific Institute. Thou private schools can be expensive, one thing that is pretty awsome about hawaii is that most private schools provide Scholarships or financial aid to military or if your catholic and in financial need.

On the issue of public schools. We talk about the sub par educational system in Hawaii all the time here. Trueth its not the best, but one aspect that people tend to ignore or don't bring up is. Its very difficult sometimes for a student to get a good education because of the paradise factor. As a kid who went to both private or public schools in oahu. I can say it was difficult for me alot of times when it was always 70-85 outside with blueskies, warm and not far from a beach. But i agree if you focus you can still get a good education.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:59 PM

18 posts, read 26,836 times
@lilbit77004

Having 5 kids that moved here form the Mainland,these are the only 4 public schools I would send my children after the research I did.
I would look at housing and commute times and pick one of these 4 imop. Kaiser has IB program which pushes the kids a little harder and Kalani is close to having one.

Mililani
Kaiser
Moanalua
Kalani

Also go here for help:
How Did Hawai‘i’s Public Schools Rank in 2015? - Honolulu Magazine - April 2015 - Hawaii

Last edited by carbonez; 04-07-2015 at 02:31 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 03:17 PM

206 posts, read 186,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbit77004 View Post
Thank you for all the responses. I am pretty capable of picking the area I want to live in when I get there, within reason. I am mostly basing my decisions on where he would prosper best. I am a parent that takes a very active role in making sure he completes his studies. I don't want a high school that is not going to challenge him. I am willing to live downtown or in Salt Lake. I am trying to avoid anything north of Aiea. I will have to commute between two locations for work, Fort Shafter and Ewa Beach. However, the housing that I keep considering up would have him attending Radford, Kaimuki or McKinley and those schools were not recommended to me. I do believe that if he buckles down it won't matter what school he attends but I still want to give him a well-rounded experience. We are not blond haired/blue eyed but yes, military affiliated, not that it matters.
The east side of the island has the best public high schools, but is also the most expensive place to live. Kaiser and Kalani. Theres also plenty of caucasian kids in these two schools, not that it matters

Old 04-08-2015, 08:07 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
I was very surprised that Campbell was recommended.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-10-2015, 05:43 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I was very surprised that Campbell was recommended.
Because it's a decent school! Many people are still using old paradigms for the schools. The quality of the education and parental involvement has turned that school around and this has been going on for years. I think because Campbell is out West, many folks lump it into that preconceived idea of too local, therefore substandard. Not saying that is everyone's intention, but group-think plays a part. I still have friends in the Ewa Beach area with children whi have or still are attending Campbell and they are quite pleased, but they are active in their child's education. I've told this before, but most of the kids I've known have all gone on to Collge on the Mainland.
As for Private schools, they are decent, but difficult to get in; just because you apply and may come with funds to pay does not mean you will have automatic entry.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:58 PM

My impression comes from hearing from law enforcement how many times they go to the school, BUT that info is older so it is good news if the school has improved.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,891,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My impression comes from hearing from law enforcement how many times they go to the school, BUT that info is older so it is good news if the school has improved.
They still go...

Hawaii Local Breaking News and Headlines - Lockdown lifted at Campbell and Kapolei high schools - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 04-10-2015, 02:00 PM

Meh. Someone made a bomb threat, and it wasn't credible enough for them to evacuate. I really don't know how the school is now, but I had always heard that is used to be pretty bad. Just surprised if there was indeed a turnaround.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu