U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-14-2008, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 29,080 times
Default Moving to Oahu - Need Advice on Neighborhoods

Greetings all,

I will be moving to Oahu next month, and badly need some advice on neighborhoods. Although I have visited Oahu twice, I was not scouting for a place to live, and so don't really know where to begin. I would like to be near Honolulu, and it is important to me that the neighborhood be nice, clean, and safe. I am caucasian, and have been warned that certain areas would not be good choices for this reason. Suggestions on good, somewhat upscale neighborhoods would be very useful.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

---Berus
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 02:26 PM

45 posts, read 221,429 times
Kapolei is nice neighborhood 20 min from Honolulu. Its like a second city. It has stores, shop, schools, new police station, theaters, k-mart, home depot, wall-mart 5 min away.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:36 PM

24 posts, read 99,955 times
I second Kapolei - almost everything you need is in town, and that which isn't is within 5 miles. Nice people, good schools, two golf courses and Ko Olina (great beaches/lagoons) nearby. Kapolei reminds me of a Southern California town.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:09 PM

850 posts, read 3,002,548 times
kailua/kaneohe/hawaii kai. kapolei is nice, but, friend-in-hawai'i, how are you getting to honolulu in 20 minutes from there? from my own experience (i own a home in kailua and one in kapolei), i have never ever been able to do that. maybe at 3am when there's no traffic?

Old 01-14-2008, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 14,417 times
Anyone recommend places in EWA? We are a military family moving this spring. We'll have to commute to Hickam AFB. I have a 6 and 16 yr. olds. How is the schools there? Any suggestions/advice is appreciated

Old 01-15-2008, 02:23 PM

45 posts, read 221,429 times
I start work at 6am and leave around 5:15a. For most part i make work okay normally around 25-30 min. when there's traffic then i jump in the zip lane (shhhh) but yes morning traffic may be a problem but not leaving 2 or 3 hrs b4 work. Ive been driving to work from kapolei since 1990 when it first opened. One good thing about Kapolei is it's next to freeway onramp as oopose to Ewa Beach which is miles away.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:24 PM

850 posts, read 3,002,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend-in-Hawaii View Post
I start work at 6am and leave around 5:15a. For most part i make work okay normally around 25-30 min. when there's traffic then i jump in the zip lane (shhhh) but yes morning traffic may be a problem but not leaving 2 or 3 hrs b4 work. Ive been driving to work from kapolei since 1990 when it first opened. One good thing about Kapolei is it's next to freeway onramp as oopose to Ewa Beach which is miles away.
making it into honolulu in 20 minutes from the westside communities cannot be done unless of course you had a private jet or magic carpet. 25-30 minutes at 515am sounds about right. however, for those who work the 8-4 or 9-5 shift, you will have to leave app. 1-1 1/2 hours before you start. then, on your way back heading in the westbound direction, prepare for traffic delays. and, if there is an accident in either direction, pull off the freeway and head to the nearest bar.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:27 PM

86 posts, read 510,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berus View Post
Greetings all,

I will be moving to Oahu next month, and badly need some advice on neighborhoods. Although I have visited Oahu twice, I was not scouting for a place to live, and so don't really know where to begin. I would like to be near Honolulu, and it is important to me that the neighborhood be nice, clean, and safe. I am caucasian, and have been warned that certain areas would not be good choices for this reason. Suggestions on good, somewhat upscale neighborhoods would be very useful.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

---Berus
I agree with kani-lehua about Kailua, Kaneohe and Hawaii Kai. If you want upscale check-out Kahala and Diamond Head. Waialae and Aina Haina might interest you as well. Of all of these, Hawaii Kai is the longest commute.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend Kaoplei. It's not close to Honolulu and it's very congested.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:35 PM

259 posts, read 1,433,632 times
Where will you be working? This will make a difference in your commute. If I had any pick of neighborhoods it would be Kahala for sure!

Old 01-20-2008, 12:42 AM

8 posts, read 38,609 times
Default To Kadena16 Hawaii bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadena16 View Post
Anyone recommend places in EWA? We are a military family moving this spring. We'll have to commute to Hickam AFB. I have a 6 and 16 yr. olds. How is the schools there? Any suggestions/advice is appreciated
Hey Kadena16 - We too are military moving this summer to Oahu. My husband was stationed in Kadena (before we married), we're in Germany now. I sent you a direct msg, and put you on my buddy list. Maybe we can pool research?

Imdogdazed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu