Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 14,994 times

Advertisements

I was recently offered a position in Honolulu, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to take it. I currently live in Seattle, and I love it here. I've lived here for 5 years, 4 of them in the same apartment in Capitol Hill. The culture, weather, natural beauty, and history all jive with my personality, and I have a lot of friends here.

That said, breaking into the Seattle job market has been extremely difficult. After two years of fruitless searching, I entered grad school at University of Washington. I will be graduating from the master's program next month. In anticipation of that, I threw my hat in the ring for the Hawaii position, which I didn't expect to get. Turns out they really like me. Meanwhile, I applied to a nearly identical job in Seattle and haven't heard a peep. (Although I have some other temporary job opportunities in Seattle.)

My plan was originally to get a job in Seattle, settle down, save up, buy a house. (I'm 29.) But now with the Honolulu offer I'm reconsidering that. I would prefer to live in Seattle, but should I seriously consider the Honolulu position? I've never visited Hawaii before.

My main concerns are:

*Will Honolulu feel small compared to Seattle? Right now I live in the most urban part of the city, and I love it. I also pay below-market rate for a room in a spacious, well-located 2-bedroom apartment. Basically it's a good deal in a great city, so I'm reluctant to give that up.

*What is it like living in a tropical tourist destination? Do the tourists get annoying?

*The pay range for the Honolulu position is $40-55k starting, with stepped salary increases, maxing out at $70k after a couple years. Would this be enough to pay rent at a one-bedroom apartment in downtown Honolulu? Moreover, would it be enough to save up for a first home?

*What is the art/music scene like in Honolulu? Seattle already feels a bit provincial in terms of the art scene, although the music scene is pretty good.

Alternatively, I could just forgo these concerns and consider the position as a temporary (2-3 year) thing to get the job experience, which would be rare and valuable experience in my field.

It's also worth emphasizing the continued uncertainty of job prospects in Seattle, although I haven't really given the Seattle job market a fair chance with my freshly-minted master's degree.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 08:21 PM

11,047 posts, read 23,860,003 times
Well, it's hard to sneeze at employment, but I don't think Honolulu is going to be more to your liking than Capitol Hill.

Yes, Honolulu will feel small. It is small compared to Seattle, especially since Seattle can draw on the rest of the Pacific North West area. It will feel very provincial in more areas than just the art and music scene. It will be very different, it won't be all that trendy but it's a lot easier to order coffee in Honolulu since there's a lot less choices. Honolulu does have a certain quaintness all on it's own and you'll get a lot more sunshine so it's not all downsides.

Tropical tourist destinations are great for vacations, not so good when you live there. Tourists do get annoying, mostly because of their absolute entitlement attitude. "I'm on vacation and I paid a lot to be here so you owe me" is kinda the basic attitude, I'm sure they are much more polite when they are at home.

Check Craig's List for rent prices and factor in about 15% to 20% more for all foods and such. Electric rates will be astronomical since there's no Bonneville dam nearby to generate hydro-electric power. So, crunch those numbers and see if you can make it work. If you're saving money to buy a house somewhere other than Oahu, then it should be easier to save for a house.

If it were me, I'd probably take the Honolulu job since you've mentioned experience in your field is rare and valuable. If you do, don't tell everyone that it is a temporary position. Pretend it is a forever position and act like it will be up to the day you go. There is a very high turnover of the imported population base and folks that live here generally don't want to make friends with yet one more person who is going to leave. So, don't tell anyone you're planning on it being temporary and don't expect too much from Honolulu and you may enjoy it for a few years.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,728,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2try View Post
I was recently offered a position in Honolulu, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to take it. I currently live in Seattle, and I love it here.
Stay in Seattle.

Quote:
I've lived here for 5 years, 4 of them in the same apartment in Capitol Hill. The culture, weather, natural beauty, and history all jive with my personality, and I have a lot of friends here.
Stay in Seattle

Quote:
That said, breaking into the Seattle job market has been extremely difficult. After two years of fruitless searching, I entered grad school at University of Washington. I will be graduating from the master's program next month. In anticipation of that, I threw my hat in the ring for the Hawaii position, which I didn't expect to get. Turns out they really like me. Meanwhile, I applied to a nearly identical job in Seattle and haven't heard a peep. (Although I have some other temporary job opportunities in Seattle.)
You need to think harder why it is so hard to get a job in Seattle. The unemployment rate in Seattle is 4.4% - no reason you can't find a job

Quote:
My plan was originally to get a job in Seattle, settle down, save up, buy a house. (I'm 29.) But now with the Honolulu offer I'm reconsidering that. I would prefer to live in Seattle, but should I seriously consider the Honolulu position? I've never visited Hawaii before.
Stay in Seattle

Quote:
*Will Honolulu feel small compared to Seattle? Right now I live in the most urban part of the city, and I love it. I also pay below-market rate for a room in a spacious, well-located 2-bedroom apartment. Basically it's a good deal in a great city, so I'm reluctant to give that up.
Honolulu is a 20 x 40 mile island - stay in Seattle.

Quote:
*What is it like living in a tropical tourist destination?
Its hot outside

Quote:
*The pay range for the Honolulu position is $40-55k starting, with stepped salary increases, maxing out at $70k after a couple years. Would this be enough to pay rent at a one-bedroom apartment in downtown Honolulu? Moreover, would it be enough to save up for a first home?
You have no chance in that salary range to save for a home - and the initial salary will mean you will need roommates in a less than desirable area.

Quote:
*What is the art/music scene like in Honolulu? Seattle already feels a bit provincial in terms of the art scene, although the music scene is pretty good.
Compared to Seattle - lame.

Quote:
It's also worth emphasizing the continued uncertainty of job prospects in Seattle, although I haven't really given the Seattle job market a fair chance with my freshly-minted master's degree.
Unemployment is 4.4% in Seattle - you need to figure out why you can't get a job - it isn't like you live in Detroit.

Last edited by whtviper1; 05-24-2015 at 08:55 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 14,994 times
Thanks for the replies; I really appreciate it. I should clarify that my employment experience in Seattle hasn't been entirely negative, it's just that most of the jobs I've had here have been low/moderate pay and nothing I'd like to do for a career. Thus grad school. I saw it as a way for me to move from lame jobs into a unified career, hopefully in the public sector. The Honolulu position would be a big step in this direction, career-wise. But yes, regarding the cities themselves, it seems like Seattle is a clear winner.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:56 PM

53 posts, read 96,603 times
As a fellow Capitol Hill resident (heeeyyy!) and as someone who is moving to Maui in a few months, my gut reaction is to tell you to stay and keep trying for that job here. You clearly love Seattle. And, Honolulu and Seattle are very, very different places. (Although, they both have excellent food in common.)

I' m thinking that maybe your new field is a bit of a niche one? Is that why it's been difficult getting local offers? If so, maybe you could toss around the idea of moving to Honolulu temporarily, for two to three years. Move there with little possessions and live a couple years there really building you experience/resume. Then, with those years in your pocket, try again at getting the Seattle job.

However, depending on your priorities, there are problems with that plan. Twenty nine going on thirty is prime life-milestone time… Are you one of those people who wants to settle down soon? Spouse, kids, etc? Are you burdened with big student loans? Are you okay with not being able to save for a downpayment during the next couple of years? Depending on your answers to these questions, you may want to stick with Seattle and just keep trying to find a job locally.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:01 PM

133 posts, read 180,743 times
It doesn't sound like there is a big draw to Honolulu for you other than employment. I think $40-55k starting (and with not much experience, I would think that you would start at the lower end of that scale.) would not make it more enticing. I'd suggest doing more networking and job searching in Seattle.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:31 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,228,205 times
Quote:
I was recently offered a position in Honolulu, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to take it. I currently live in Seattle, and I love it here. I've lived here for 5 years, 4 of them in the same apartment in Capitol Hill. The culture, weather, natural beauty, and history all jive with my personality, and I have a lot of friends here.

My main concerns are:

*What is it like living in a tropical tourist destination? Do the tourists get annoying?

Alternatively, I could just forgo these concerns and consider the position as a temporary (2-3 year) thing to get the job experience, which would be rare and valuable experience in my field.

Any advice would be appreciated!
I was born in Renton Washington. I would not move to Hawaii. You like where you are living now. Rent- that $40-55k start up pay. You will be looking at $1,500.00-2,000 rent in downtown Honolulu, or if you want Waikiki add on to the price, for a one bedroom, and it will not be like your, well-located 2-bedroom apartment. Not counting your utility bills and Cable/Internet also. Here is some links below:
Apartments for Rent in Honolulu, HI - 236 Rentals - HotPads

http://www.apartments.com/waikiki-honolulu-hi/

Also to note! You will began to feel isolated, due to the fact you will not be able to jump in the car and drive somewhere a hundred miles away for a extended weekend somewhere on the coast, like in the Seattle area! You will have to fly, if going to one of the Neighboring islands.

Best of luck on your decision.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:03 AM

959 posts, read 1,201,730 times
Honolulu won't feel anything like living in Seattle. And even less like living in the Capital Hill neighborhood. There really are not any good walking neighborhoods in Honolulu that would come close to the walking neighborhoods in Seattle ... and by that I mean neighborhoods that are pedestrian friendly with block after block of small store lined streets filled with restaurants, coffee shops, etc. The only exception would be Waikiki. But Waikiki is really designed largely for tourists and it's mostly pretty expensive. China town would be the next closest thing in my opinion.

Oahu is beautiful and has a lot to offer. But it's not going to be anything like Seattle. And it will be far more expensive than Seattle. Everything will also be on a much smaller scale. There is a music scene ... but on a much smaller scale. There are some good restaurants ... but on a much smaller scale.

I love Honolulu, and I love the beauty of Oahu, but it's just very different. If you go for the job experience that's one thing. But if you love Seattle as much as you indicate, and if you think you can find an appropriate job in Seattle now that you have your Masters Degree ... then I'd stay in Seattle. If you feel you need to take the job in Honolulu for resume experience only and eventually will move back to Seattle when you can land the dream job there ... than that is something you may need to consider. But it won't be like Seattle and you likely will not be able to save up much if any money after living expenses in Honolulu.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:14 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,959,106 times
Stay in Seattle. It's obvious you love it there, and want to settle down there. You'll find a job offer in Seattle just as good. Sounds like everything else is already set up for you in Seattle as well.

It doesn't sound like you have much interest in Honolulu, etc. It won't be like Seattle.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:44 PM

854 posts, read 1,472,244 times
Not sure if you are of European descent, but I have heard that anti-white sentiment is prevalent in Hawaii and that even if you aren't the least bit arrogant you'll still have people harass you for being a "haole" and exclude you from things. If you are arrogant, it will be even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: